Series Talk: Round Two: Iowa Wild versus Chicago Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Down 3-1, looks like it might be coming to an end. I didn't realize this was Vegas's minor league team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wow...we send a full NHL line down to Iowa, and they still can't get past the 2nd round.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Playoffs were a good first step. Long way to go to fix the depth.

Look at the Providence Bruins or the healthy scratches for Boston - and you see how easy it was to give up a middling prospect for a strong two-way NHL center.

Hopefully now more people will understand that suggesting that NHL deficiencies are going to be fixed by the likes of Cal O'Reilly, Will Bitten, Dmitri Sokolov, Louie Belpedio, etc. is crazy talk.

Reactions: a79krgm

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
In the end I think Iowa could have used some more experience on D. Prosser helped them, but they needed some more offense from back there.
I also thought Iowa was far too much of a perimeter team than they needed to be. Maybe they play that way because of their size?

In any case, a very good season in Des Moines. A 2nd round finish is a big improvement over the norm for the club's farm time.
(I mean five straight years out of the playoffs is criminal. )

Reactions: Bazeek

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Playoffs were a good first step. Long way to go to fix the depth.

Look at the Providence Bruins or the healthy scratches for Boston - and you see how easy it was to give up a middling prospect for a strong two-way NHL center.

Hopefully now more people will understand that suggesting that NHL deficiencies are going to be fixed by the likes of Cal O'Reilly, Will Bitten, Dmitri Sokolov, Louie Belpedio, etc. is crazy talk.
I think in a couple years we're going to realize that all three trades were pretty bad.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Russo (I know some of you hate him) hinted that Greenway and Donato didn't put in a lot of effort because they didn't think they belonged in the AHL. For what it is worth. Apparently Donato had the same attitude with the Baby Bruins as well.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Russo (I know some of you hate him) hinted that Greenway and Donato didn't put in a lot of effort because they didn't think they belonged in the AHL. For what it is worth. Apparently Donato had the same attitude with the Baby Bruins as well.
Donato = Boston kid, played at Haaaavard, Olymics and WJ's for USA , and Dad is Boston Legend and Haaaavard HC

WHY TRADE HIM ? ..........Hmmmmmm

Something don't smell right and it's not the Clam Chowder

Just my opinion

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Could also be that this was both of their first pro season (70+ games). Maybe just ran out of gas.
While it doesn't sound like the case in playoffs, I legit think this sort of happened to Greenway this year. I thought he was pretty ineffective towards the end of the year.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Because they wanted Coyle for the playoffs and Donato was behind Marchand and DeBrusk?

To put it mildly. He was well behind those guys and Kuraly and Kuhlman and possibly Fitzgerald and Cehlarik, maybe others?

Donato was a liability at times for Iowa, just as he was for Minnesota. Poor physical game and poor puck management, with little production to offset it.

The excuse that these guys are out of gas is pathetic too. If you're out of gas in the playoffs, in early May, well.... you're on the right team.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
To put it mildly. He was well behind those guys and Kuraly and Kuhlman and possibly Fitzgerald and Cehlarik, maybe others?

Donato was a liability at times for Iowa, just as he was for Minnesota. Poor physical game and poor puck management, with little production to offset it.

The excuse that these guys are out of gas is pathetic too. If you're out of gas in the playoffs, in early May, well.... you're on the right team.

I wouldn't say he had "little production" in his time here.

And I think that there is an actual difference between playing 40 NCAA games vs. 75+ AHL/NHL games. One of the reasons why I'd prefer all of our prospects play full seasons in Iowa before the NHL.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I wouldn't say he had "little production" in his time here.

And I think that there is an actual difference between playing 40 NCAA games vs. 75+ AHL/NHL games. One of the reasons why I'd prefer all of our prospects play full seasons in Iowa before the NHL.

I didn't either. I said he was a liability at times for both. His production for MN was obviously terrific - although if you're expecting 70+ points from him next season, I think you'll be disappointed.

Obviously pro hockey is different. Is the amount of games the only reason 20 year old Cale Makar looked good in the Stanley Cup playoffs and 22 year old Greenway or 23 year old Donato were ineffective in the Calder Cup?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I didn't either. I said he was a liability at times for both. His production for MN was obviously terrific - although if you're expecting 70+ points from him next season, I think you'll be disappointed.

Obviously pro hockey is different. Is the amount of games the only reason 20 year old Cale Makar looked good in the Stanley Cup playoffs and 22 year old Greenway or 23 year old Donato were ineffective in the Calder Cup?

No. Makar being a top-of-the-draft talent probably had something do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad