Series Talk: Round Two: Iowa Wild versus Chicago Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
AHL Central Division Finals - (best-of-7)
Game 1 - Wed., May 1 - Iowa at Chicago, 7:00
Game 2 - Thu., May 2 - Iowa at Chicago, 7:00
Game 3 - Sun., May 5 - Chicago at Iowa, 3:00
Game 4 - Wed., May 8 - Chicago at Iowa, 7:00
*Game 5 - Fri., May 10 - Chicago at Iowa, 7:00
*Game 6 - Mon., May 13 - Iowa at Chicago, 7:00
*Game 7 - Wed., May 15 - Iowa at Chicago, 7:00
*if necessary... All times CST

TheHuntContinues-050c5d2f19.jpg

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Another tough loss. Hammond let a soft one in, but made a couple of spectacular saves later. Mayhew scored his 7th of the playoffs. Kunin got two. The Wild had had Chicago pinned down in their zone during the last 90 seconds, but couldn't get any pucks through. Chicago up 2-0 in the series.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Baby Wild win. Series tied 2-2.

Mayhew has 9 goals in 9 games. Will he get a legitimate shot to make the team next year?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Would be nice if he could contribute at the NHL level. My expectations are very low though. Not many guys break into the league at 26.5 and end up as much more than 4th liners. One thing he has going for him is being a natural right wing on a team with 1.5 of those. And 1 of those 1.5 is potentially a center, and the .5 of the 1.5 is predominantly a LW.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Would be nice if he could contribute at the NHL level. My expectations are very low though. Not many guys break into the league at 26.5 and end up as much more than 4th liners. One thing he has going for him is being a natural right wing on a team with 1.5 of those. And 1 of those 1.5 is potentially a center, and the .5 of the 1.5 is predominantly a LW.
Yanni Gourde

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yanni Gourde

The fact that you only came back with one player pretty much proves my point that "not many guys" do it.

Like I said, it would be awesome if he became the next Yanni Gourde, but my expectations are quite a bit lower than that.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
But then the question becomes did they ever get a chance?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
But then the question becomes did they ever get a chance?

I'm a firm believer that if a guy is good enough to get the chance he will. Mayhew, it sounds like, will get his chance next season. We'll see what he does with it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

He went the USHL then 4 yrs of college route, so this was only his 2nd (full) pro season. He's old for a prospect, but I think he still has some room for development (mental more than physical) because of the route he took.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He went the USHL then 4 yrs of college route, so this was only his 2nd (full) pro season. He's old for a prospect, but I think he still has some room for development (mental more than physical) because of the route he took.

I don't disagree, but it's still not likely.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Very cool for Mayhew and it'd be great to see him earn a spot next year. Seeing guys rewarded with contracts sends the right message to everyone down there.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if i were gm i'd try to always keep one big club roster spot open on the 4th line to rotate / give an iowa player a shot. for motivational purposes if nothing else. i thought it was a mistake to sign brown ; fehr ; Hendricks ; read when plenty of iowa players were waiting / hoping for their shot. bottom line i'd dangle a carrot.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
if i were gm i'd try to always keep one big club roster spot open on the 4th line to rotate / give an iowa player a shot. for motivational purposes if nothing else. i thought it was a mistake to sign brown ; fehr ; Hendricks ; read when plenty of iowa players were waiting / hoping for their shot. bottom line i'd dangle a carrot.

4th line isn't really the ideal spot for a lot of the guys in Iowa. Some can play that checking role okay, but it would be a waste for guys like Sokolov, Shaw, Ladonia (next year), etc.

Iowa might have had guys waiting (mostly hoping) for their shots, but really none of the kids below Kunin were ready/skilled enough for the NHL. It's why old man Read was the main callup and Hendricks ever saw the ice.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
4th line isn't really the ideal spot for a lot of the guys in Iowa. Some can play that checking role okay, but it would be a waste for guys like Sokolov, Shaw, Ladonia (next year), etc.

Iowa might have had guys waiting (mostly hoping) for their shots, but really none of the kids below Kunin were ready/skilled enough for the NHL. It's why old man Read was the main callup and Hendricks ever saw the ice.
Yeah, Hendricks in the 13th forward slot is what really blocked any of the Iowa guys that may have deserved a shot. And I'm not sure that there really were any that point.

Having Mayhew or Beck or whoever in that spot next year would be preferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad