Prospect Info: Round 4, 120th overall: Alex Ciernik, F, Södertälje SK (HockeyAllsvenskan)

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
My stance on most prospects is aggressive skepticism until they show in the NHL. Sometimes I grant exceptions for no particular reason. Ciernik is one of those exceptions. This kid is going to be great. A franchise player.
I dunno about "franchise player," and frankly i don't claim to know much about the kid's play highlights and and brief viewings.... BUT, I really do get the feeling he will be a useful middle 6 guy in the nhl. Of course, it'll likely have to be elsewhere because he will never drop the gloves, attempt 10+ shots a game, or stitch "Cates" on the back of his jersey.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I dunno about "franchise player," and frankly i don't claim to know much about the kid's play highlights and and brief viewings.... BUT, I really do get the feeling he will be a useful middle 6 guy in the nhl. Of course, it'll likely have to be elsewhere because he will never drop the gloves, attempt 10+ shots a game, or stitch "Cates" on the back of his jersey.

Franchise.

Player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Let's see him in the SHL first, this is like anointing an 18 year old having a good ECHL season.
It's a big jump to the SHL, then a big adjustment to NA hockey, then another jump to the NHL.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Let's see him in the SHL first, this is like anointing an 18 year old having a good ECHL season.
It's a big jump to the SHL, then a big adjustment to NA hockey, then another jump to the NHL.

This is a major typo. Dont worry, I can read through it to know you were trying to say "Yes, he will be a franchise player."

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
HockeyAllsvenskan is a promotion league into the SHL, its not like the AHL/NHL where players get called up to their SHL affiliate, they have to win their promotion. Andrae went from 30 points in 40 games to 25 pts in 50 games, its really not a huge jump for good Allsvensk teams. Vasterviks is one of the worst teams in Allsvensk though, so theres no chance we see Ciernik in the SHL unless he gets traded to a better team and they win a promotion, thats what happened with Andrae. Traded from Vasterviks to HV71 and then HV71 won promotion to SHL.

Ciernik is leading Vasterviks with 10 points in 14 games as an 18 year old on an awful team, Im sure theres teams over there watching his progress and its absolutely worth getting a little excited about

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'll wait.

From my perspective, D+1 is more about confirming the pick than projecting success, that is, a bad D+1 season is probably more predictive of failure than a good season predictive of eventual success.

Then we have Tuomaala, who after two disappointing seasons, is more than holding his own in the AHL at 20. So sometimes players defy expectations.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Ciernik not playing today because he's with the Slovak national team but I don't know what exactly for if anyone knows? maybe its a WJC camp but i dont think theres any other u20 tournaments before then

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
had a brutal giveaway just now in OT but the goalie bailed him out, it was right after his line almost scored to win it though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad