SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Marlies Highlights: Hershey @ Toronto: Game 3 - May 25, 2016

Marlies Post-Game: Sheldon Keefe - May 25, 2016

Marlies Post-Game: Andrew Campbell - May 25, 2016

*Kyle Dubas - May 25, 2016

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I see comments about our D playing poorly. I know Brennan is terrible. How has Valiev looked?

I'm hoping they put Dermott and Nielsen in for the next one to maybe add a little grit and puck moving ability. Even if it's just to give them a taste.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Eh, young team runs into trouble deeper in the playoffs. Not exactly unheard of. Big learning exeperience for the kids moving forward, especially those soon to be graduating to the Leafs - the playoffs are a different beast from the regular season.

But one thing is becoming clear, goaltending has become the organization's biggest priority. Be it via trade, draft or free agency.

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
They couldn't contain the elite talent of Zack Sill hahaha. I was at the game last night, the offense was there, they were getting chances but the defense and goaltending sucked all the air out of it. How many of those 8 goals was Connor Carrick on the ice for? Including 2 short handed goals on the same power play, he gets so much love here but he is awful. The writing has been on the wall for a while, they weren't capable of protecting leads against a slow low scoring trap team, they just aren't good enough. Sparks looks to be demoralized and checked out for being relegated to back up behind an inferior goaltender. It was good while it lasted I guess.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Eh, young team runs into trouble deeper in the playoffs. Not exactly unheard of. Big learning exeperience for the kids moving forward, especially those soon to be graduating to the Leafs - the playoffs are a different beast from the regular season.

But one thing is becoming clear, goaltending has become the organization's biggest priority. Be it via trade, draft or free agency.

Came here to post this exact statement. Losing isn't that bad if they learn from it going forward and mediocre goal tending does not win championships.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Shanahan + Lamoriello were at the game. so they got to see the carnage in person.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Tough to win 4 straight after a loss like that. Hopefully they can make it interesting. Sucks that they had to start on the road despite better seeding though, is that always the case?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Tough to win 4 straight after a loss like that. Hopefully they can make it interesting. Sucks that they had to start on the road despite better seeding though, is that always the case?

I don't think so. but Hershey had the circus in town so it would really push things out of hand, and so we would have had "4 out of 5" at home with the schedule as it is right now. So I am thinking truly if it would have benefitted the Marlies to actually start at home.

I am thinking worst case scenario here - if we do get swept - it could be a great learning experience. the team itself won't be the same because some of these guys will be Leafs, and some will be gone, and what not. so the "core" of the marlies will change but they could use that as a learning experience and jsut that. it suucccks, and it's tough.

if they can grit it out and force this to seven - that's a learning experience.

etiher way is fine with me (I just want a great game four).

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
This series has pretty much exposed our goaltending and our D, as well as coaching. the forwards have been fine. Peters has just been red hot for the most part.

Don't get the Keefe hype, tbh. Some people seemed genuinely scared he'd get poached... don't think we have to get worried about that too soon.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The circus is in town in Hersey this week so their building was unavailable and the AHL is all about Arena bookings and openings.

Skating around the elephants wasn't an option so they made it a 2-3-1-1 series structure with Marlies starting in the road.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Good news: If goaltending bucks up, Marlies have as dominant a team as any. Also, 3 of next 4 at home.

Bad news: Gotta win all 4, borderline impossible, don't see it happening.

Oh well. It's a lesson for the young guys. You gotta learn how to fail before you can learn how to succeed. Besides, sometimes, **** just happens in the playoffs. Look at the NBA. You have the greatest regular season team of all time in the Golden State Warriors and they are down 3-1 and on the brink of being eliminated by the Oklahoma City Thunder.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Even fan favorite Connor Brown would have poor production if it weren't for an incredibly lucky shooting %.

Yep. If it wasn't for him scoring, he'd have poor production. :shakehead

I'd imagine you could say that about literally every player ever.

It's a deep run for these kids, who aren't used to it or going through it for the first time. It's possible that guys like Brown, Hyman, Leipsic are tiring out from the playoff grind. As I said, it's apart of the development curve IMO. Hopefully it gives them motive in the offseason to train harder.

I'll admit that the pro game is a huge step up from the junior ranks, but based on their junior careers, the bolded should have no issue with the playoff grind. They were both part of long CHL playoff runs.

All that said, these kids are learning a lesson in what it takes to win against men in a bigger and tougher league. Will a series loss and/or sweep be disappointing? Yes, but in the grand scheme of things, I hope it makes the players better for it.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
This series has pretty much exposed our goaltending and our D, as well as coaching. the forwards have been fine. Peters has just been red hot for the most part.

Don't get the Keefe hype, tbh. Some people seemed genuinely scared he'd get poached... don't think we have to get worried about that too soon.

why do you think the the bold?
why do you think the underline?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
why do you think the the bold?
why do you think the underline?

His decision making has been baffling. The way he's handled the goalies, few adjustments, trotting out the same ailing special teams units out... giving Brennan too much TOI.

There were a few people that thought some NHL team would snap him up as an assistant.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
His decision making has been baffling. The way he's handled the goalies, few adjustments, trotting out the same ailing special teams units out... giving Brennan too much TOI.

There were a few people that thought some NHL team would snap him up as an assistant.

Agreed. He's nothing special. We just have an extremely talented AHL team and that's why they were up high in the standings.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Good news: If goaltending bucks up, Marlies have as dominant a team as any. Also, 3 of next 4 at home.

Bad news: Gotta win all 4, borderline impossible, don't see it happening.

Hershey was previously up 3-0 in the finals and ended up losing so it can happen.

Bibeau has been decent enough through the playoffs, he just had a bad game last night. It happens. Sparks has been so-so when he has played (in game two he let in a bad first goal and a perhaps questionable goal in OT).

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Nylander has been bad, but I have a hard time blaming the players when almost the whole team has been terrible.

If the whole team has been terrible who do we blame if not the players? The trainers?

Even fan favorite Connor Brown would have poor production if it weren't for an incredibly lucky shooting %.

:huh:

So if he wasn't scoring he wouldn't be producing? Hell of an insight there...............

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Agreed. He's nothing special. We just have an extremely talented AHL team and that's why they were up high in the standings.

Extremely talented and Extremely Soft, you can't win in the playoffs with this bunch, Connor Carrick was the only undersized player who gave as much as he took the others just folded their tents. All I've seen since Albany is Marlie bodies flying through the Air with the greatest of ease. When the behemoth Freddie the Goat bailed out after guys half his size were smoking him every time he went near the puck. It was disheartening to see him Cower to the bench completely defeated they had to bench him because he was embarrassing the whole Organization.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

ah. i see.

not to say that I agree - or disagree - with what you are saying but didn't the marlies deal with a heck of a lot of injuries? the coach had to do something with keeping up the level of play from everyone during that time, right?

well i think the true nature of Keefe and what he is and is not capable to do will be next year.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Hiring smart guys doesn't prevent mistakes. It just prevents making the same mistake twice. I bet Dubas never goes into another series without first rate goaltending.

Most of the other decisions are just tinkering around the edges. The young guys hit the wall and the goaltending **** the bed. Not much you can do about number one, lots you can do about number two (heh).

I wouldn't be surprised if Marlies still win a couple games if they can get any goaltending at all.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
While this situation looks extremely bleak at the moment the next 2 games are at home for the team.

If Marlies win Friday and Sunday on home ice the series is 3-2 Hersey and that doesn't sound bad at all, considering that had the teams split the first 2 games the series would have been 2-2 with the winner of game 5 Hersey making it 3-2 also.

One game at a time is all its going to take to get back in this and Marlies are the best team in the AHL this year so its not unthinkable to believe they can string some wins together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad