Marlies GDT: Round 3, Game 3: Toronto vs. Hershey 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
marlies15-16_playoffs_preview_gm3_1024x512-768x384.jpg

Round 3, Game 3: Toronto vs. Hershey

By Sherry Jean, Posted on May 25, 2016

Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final between the Marlies and Hershey Bears is set for tonight at 7:30pm on TSN2 and TSN1050. The Bears currently lead the series 2-0 with a 3-2 overtime win over the Marlies in Hershey on Saturday.

Game 2 Summary:

Connor Brown scored his team-leading seventh goal of the post season to open the scoring for the Marlies.
Mark Arcobello recorded his second goal of the playoffs, 17:42 into the second period.
Connor Carrick assisted on the Marlies opening goal, his ninth assist of the post season. Carrick leads the AHL post season scoring race with 15 points through 12 games.
Josh Leivo collected two assists in the contest, his third multi-point game of the playoffs. His point total now stands at 10 through 12 games, second amongst Marlies skaters

Puck drop is at 7:30pm on TSN2 and TSN1050. Don’t forget to follow the Marlies on Twitter and tune in to our #MarliesLive chat.

TSN2 Channel Listings
Cable Provider SD HD
Bell Fibe 401 1401
Bell Satellite 402 1402
Rogers 407/495 98/994
Shaw 182 237
Cogeco 862
Telus 401 851/1401
MTS 21 1021
Access Communications 282 582
SaskTel 112 412

Marlies take inspiration from Raptors to come back in conference finals

After losing the first two games against the Hersey Bears, the Marlies remain upbeat that they can win the series.

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Tues., May 24, 2016

Connor Brown says the Toronto Marlies don’t necessarily need the inspiration, but they’ll gladly take the positive vibes this city is experiencing thanks to the never-say-die Toronto Raptors.

“I was watching. It’s pretty awesome them being down two and coming back,” said Brown after an optional practice on Tuesday. “A lot of resilience on that team.

“You can take inspiration from anywhere you look. Right now, it’s the Raptors. They believe,” added Brown. “We have confidence in our group. Whether we can draw comparables from outside, we really believe we have a chance to come back.”

Like their NBA brethren, the AHL Marlies lost the first two games of their Calder Cup Eastern Conference Final on the road to the Hershey Bears.

But in a twist made possible only because of wonky arena availability dates, the Marlies still have home-ice advantage. Games 3, 4, 5 and 7 are all scheduled for the Ricoh Coliseum, starting with Game 3 on Wednesday night (7:30 p.m., TSN-2).

“That’s in our favour,” said Brown. “We don’t feel out of it for sure. We feel confident. We definitely believe. We believe in each other. We’ll find a way, having the next four of five at home. We’ve got to really own our home ice now that we have that advantage.”

Throughout these playoffs, the Marlies haven’t made anything easy on themselves.

Scorers, for example, have struggled to find the back of the net: the Marlies have only three goals over two games so far against the Hershey Bears.

You might be interested in

Goaltending has been an issue. As strongly built as the team is among its 18 skaters, especially strong along the blue line, goalies Antoine Bibeau and Garret Sparks have had their share of down moments.

And even though they were the league’s top team and, therefore, top seed, they have started on the road in two of their first three series.

It didn’t hurt them in sweeping Bridgeport in the first round. Albany proved a tough-to-put-away opponent, leading 2-1 after three games and stretching the second-round series to seven games.

“If you don’t fight for it, it’s not worth winning,” said centre William Nylander. “It’s not going to be easy ever to win a championship. Nobody ever wins in a cakewalk.

“We’re down 2-0, and we just have to battle back. That’s just the way it is.”

The Marlies remain remarkably upbeat.

“We’re back on home ice and we’re hoping to swing the series back,” said centre Mark Arcobello. “Teams aren’t just going to give you wins. We have to work for them. Some games have been tough, but what matters is winning the series, whether it takes four games or seven.”

Marlies coach Sheldon Keefe said he’d keep his starting goalie a secret until Wednesday. He’s given his banged up players time off, taking advantage of a stretched-out schedule that he hopes will ultimately work in his team’s favour.

“We do have a hole, we have a challenge, the margin for error is very slim. We’ve taken away some of the luxury to be able to lose games. We have two home games. We have to earn the third and then we can use home ice to our advantage,” Keefe said. “We’ve responded well when we needed to.

“Here we are again with another opportunity to do that. It’s a challenge. Hershey is a good hockey team. But we still like our team. We have to score more. Feeling good about our game doesn’t make it any easier.”

The backs-against-the-walls games in which the Marlies have thrived are moments the young players need in their development.

“Key games, close games bring out the best in guys,” said Brown. “You see what you’re made of.”

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
poor babies. I think they are gonna be crushed by the Raptors playing to be honest. I pretty much forgot about this game. but i am gonna watch the first period at least

... i can't believe i just said that. I think summer melted my brain.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
poor babies. I think they are gonna be crushed by the Raptors playing to be honest. I pretty much forgot about this game. but i am gonna watch the first period at least

For a long time I've been thinking that the hockey season goes way too late into the spring/summer. I'm sure nothing will change, but I personally wish they would start the season a month earlier.

That said, I'm sure I will sit down for my dose of pain and suffering tonight. :D

As for the Raptors, I'm not really a very good fan. I'll check the score and if they're winning in the final moments I might check in then. :laugh:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

I thought someone would have the GDT up but again I didn't see one, so as this might be the only hockey in these parts after the worlds and I'll be watching perhaps maybe peek at the Raptors between periods.

Go Marlies/Raptors Go!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Raptor on the tv marlies on the laptop?

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
I am going to the Marlies game tonight. Hoping to see them get back into the series. Will be keeping an eye on the Raptors score on my cell.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
For a long time I've been thinking that the hockey season goes way too late into the spring/summer. I'm sure nothing will change, but I personally wish they would start the season a month earlier.

That said, I'm sure I will sit down for my dose of pain and suffering tonight. :D

As for the Raptors, I'm not really a very good fan. I'll check the score and if they're winning in the final moments I might check in then. :laugh:

I'm not either but i will have to say with everyone all counting them out, i am a sucker for a good underdog story.

i do think Hockey needs to end like.. now-ish. though.

I thought someone would have the GDT up but again I didn't see one, so as this might be the only hockey in these parts after the worlds and I'll be watching perhaps maybe peek at the Raptors between periods.

Go Marlies/Raptors Go!

exactly (i had thought the game was yesterday and i just forgot about it).

Raptor on the tv marlies on the laptop?

well it will be both on the laptop since my mac doesn't have an HDMI port (one thing i miss about my PC). and sometimes it just slows things down.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for the GDT, Budsfan...

I think that the Marlies will bounce back like the Raptors did.. and win these next two games...

#ConquerCalder: Toronto Marlies 2016 Playoff Tribute/Pump - TML

....GO MARLIES GO !! !!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hopefully Nylander brings his A game and Marlies can get back in the series.

3 home games and 3 wins and its 3-2 Marlies in the series.

The winning starts tonight.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Said it last time they were in a funk, will say it again.
Look for the big boys to step up in this one.
Brennan, Arcobello, Nylander and Carrick.

Go get em.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015

Two of our Marlies who have had very good seasons.. and could be of help to the Leafs in the very near future.. My bet, is if Brownie keeps putting up points in the playoffs.. (7 goals, already..), has a strong conditioning stint in the summer.. and plays hard in the Fall camp.., that he makes the Leafs 2016-17 roster..

Dermott needs some seasoning time.., but I think he's going to be another strong D-man for us.. :)

Brand new montages, for both of them...

Connor Brown
Right Wing -- shoots R
Born Jan 14 1994 -- Toronto, ONT
22 yrs. ago
Height 5.11 -- Weight 183

RECENT STATS: (*Up to May 24th 2016)

2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
7 Games... 1 Goals... 5 Assists... 6 Points... -2
---------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 Toronto Marlies - AHL
34 Games... 11 Goals... 18 Assists... 29 Points... +10
---------------------------------------------------------------
2016 AHL PLAYOFFS
12 Games... 7 Goals... 2 Assists... 9 Points... -3

Brownie Points: Connor Brown 2015-16 Season Goals & Highlights - TML

==============================
==============================

Travis Dermott
Defense -- shoots L
Born Dec 22 1996 -- Newmarket, ONT
19 yrs. ago
Height 5.11 -- Weight 207

RECENT STATS: (*Up to May 24th 2016)

2015-16 Erie Otters - OHL
51 Games... 6 Goals... 37 Assists... 43 Points... +36
-------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 OHL PLAYOFFS
13 Games... 3 Goals... 11 Assists... 14 Points... +7 *PPG+
2016 AHL PLAYOFFS (Toronto Marlies)
1 Game... 0 Goals... 0 Assists... 0 Points... -1
2015-16 Team Canada U20 - WJC-20
5 Games... 0 Goals... 2 Assists... 2 Points... -2

Dermott's Vision: Travis Dermott 2015-16 Season Goals & Highlights - TML

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
2016 AHL PLAYOFFS - THIRD ROUND - CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS

297572_orig.png
VS
200px-Hershey_Bears_logo.png

Eastern Conference Finals – Series “M†(best-of-7)
N1-Toronto Marlies vs. A1-Hershey Bears

Hershey Leads Series 2-0
Game 1 – Fri., May 20 – Toronto 1, Hershey 3
Game 2 – Sat., May 21 – Toronto 2, Hershey 3 (OT)
Game 3 – Wed., May 25 – Hershey at Toronto, 7:30
Game 4 – Fri., May 27 – Hershey at Toronto, 7:30
*Game 5 – Sun., May 29 – Hershey at Toronto, 3:00
*Game 6 – Tue., May 31 – Toronto at Hershey, 7:00
*Game 7 – Thu., June 2 – Hershey at Toronto, 7:30

OntarioReign2-01.png
VS
sports--hockey--ahl_lake-erie-monsters_large.jpg

Western Conference Finals – Series “N†(best-of-7)
P1-Ontario Reign vs. C2-Lake Erie Monsters

Lake Erie Leads Series 3-0
Game 1 – Sat., May 21 – Lake Erie 4, Ontario 3
Game 2 – Sun., May 22 – Lake Erie 3, Ontario 2
Game 3 – Tue., May 24 – Ontario 0, Lake Erie 4
Game 4 – Thu., May 26 – Ontario at Lake Erie, 7:00
*Game 5 – Sat., May 28 – Ontario at Lake Erie, noon
*Game 6 – Tue., May 31 – Lake Erie at Ontario, 10:00
*Game 7 – Wed., June 1 – Lake Erie at Ontario, 10:00​

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Toronto Marlies hope ability to manage roster uncertainty mandated by Maple Leafs call-ups has toughened them for latest challenge

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...all-ups-has-toughed-them-for-latest-challenge

Rob Longley, Postmedia Network | May 24, 2016 6:22 PM ET

The opportunity for Marlies players to get a glimpse of NHL speed and talent was by design in the big picture sketched by president Brendan Shanahan, general manager Lou Lamoriello and coach Mike Babcock. But Keefe’s role in keeping the AHL ship afloat, both while key pieces of his team were gone and then integrating them back in short order when they were returned, should not be underestimated.

The ability to juggle and re-tool the lineup through the remaining regular-season games and two successful rounds of the playoffs has required some clever coaching.

Fifteen players age 23 or younger who have played for the Marlies in the playoffs were called up by the Leafs at some point through the season, many late in the year after the Leafs began shipping out veterans via trade: forwards Nylander, Soshnikov, Brown, Kasperi Kapanen, Sam Carrick, Frederik Gauthier, Brendan Leipsic, Josh Leivo, Zach Hyman; defenceman Connor Carrick, Viktor Loov, Stuart Percy, Tobias Lindberg and Rinat Valiev; and goalie Garret Sparks. T.J. Brennan, the league’s top scoring defenceman during the season, also saw time with the Leafs at the end of the season.

“If there’s been anything, we’ve shown the ability to change it up and still have the players perform well to get through it,” Keefe said.

The Marlies are hoping that resiliency will come in handy against the Bears with a successful home stand kick-starting a run to the Calder Cup final. Going through a Game 7 last round will help, as should the ability to adapt to changing situations during the season.

“Close games really bring out the best in guys, really see what you are made of,” Brown said. “We feel good about it and we feel confident.”

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Sheldon Keefe - May 24, 2016

Connor Brown - May 24, 2016

William Nylander - May 24, 2016

Mark Arcobello - May 24, 2016

Mad Brills*

Leave early.

ACC concert + raptors crowd tonight + Skydome concert means that transit will be nuts.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
So far not a good series (obviously), they need to play with more intensity and need to play mean / hard (not dirty) game

Would be a good experience for Dermott

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
They have to come out hard!!! Put every chance on net and try and get that damn goalie off his game. The Marlies can destroy this team if they get that goalie waivering.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
After watching London all week it's going to be tough to go back to the Marlies. They've disappointed me so hard these playoffs.

Hope they can bounce back tonight.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015

Sheldon Keefe - May 25, 2016

Kasperi Kapanen - May 25, 2016

Sam Carrick - May 25, 2016

Andrew Campbell - May 25, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad