Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 54: Emil Andrae, D, HV71 (SHL)

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Andrae is not Bartulis, he's played at a high level at each level at a young age, and is off to a good start in LHV.
He may well find it easier to play in NA, the wider ice rewards speed, the smaller NA rinks reward instincts and positioning.
have you ever meet a prospect you don't over hype?

no answer to the other question?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
have you ever meet a prospect you don't over hype?

no answer to the other question?
I'd take the Buffalo roster, then determine who lacks intangibles and trade them while their inflated offensive production retains trade value. Keep the ones willing to do the work to become winning hockey players.

They have a lot of raw talent, don't know if it's inexperience or bad chemistry, but I'd fire the HC and get someone who can get them to play with some discipline and fire.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Easy to understand that Briere loves Andrae's game: short player but skilled puck mover, high compete level, communicating well... see the pattern? :sarcasm:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Easy to understand that Briere loves Andrae's game: short player but skilled puck mover, high compete level, communicating well... see the pattern? :sarcasm:
So, we can look forward to a team of feisty smurfs?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
player comparisons always work out no. Vladislav Boulin.
Great reference. Young me had hope for Boulin. Sounded like he was going to be a punishing physical defenseman. LOL.

But my point, as you're aware, isn't that player comparisons always work out. It's that I don't recall Oskars Bartulis ever being considered the same level of prospect as Emil Andrae.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The Timonen comparisons need to die a quick death, it's ridiculous
I don't think he's going to be anywhere near as good as Kimmo, but as a type, it's the closest physical and stylistic description to any recent Flyer D. Poor man's Timonen? Andrae is short, built like a fire hydrant, strong on his skates. He is mobile and good with the puck but he isn't the fastest skater in the world.

He'll have trouble escaping the forecheck at the NHL level, as magua noted, and he'll always be overmatched by huge players, so we'll see if his strong SHL season and AHL start carries forward and if his game will translate to the NHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's probably a little stouter than York, so I don't think he'll have a problem with NHL size, the SHL is a man's league so it's not like he's jumping from CHL or even college.

But one reason he'll need some AHL seasoning is NA ice means different angles, especially passing out of the D-zone, which is how you negate an aggressive forecheck, anticipating pressure and making quick, accurate passes.

However, players who excel in the SHL at a young age generally do fine in the NHL.
The question is more his ceiling.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Russ Cohen keeps on talking about Andrae potentially going to HV71 if he doesn't make the Flyers. Does anyone know exactly why that is (with regard to contract/loan)? Of course maybe Cohen is just talking crap (again).

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Serious question for ya . Do you think he has more potential at the NHL level than Big Z .
Absolutely.

Z is played small amd very soft for Lehigh

Andrae always "got after it" in the times I've watched him in Lehigh. Didn't always win the battles but he was in there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad