Pre-Game Talk: Round 2: Lights of Broadway versus Hurricane Sandy

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Someone here or Reddit had a good quote about a week ago when Boston fans were complaining about "Bandwagon" or some bullshit. It went something like this

"I think these transplant fans who live here are, deep down, upset about how well the Canes are doing. The tickets are no longer cheap and they can't 'invade' like they used to".

I've been seeing a lot of bullshit during these playoffs about how we aren't "Real fans", how transplants have to "explain" the game to us, "the noise isn't real", etc. It truly amazes me how ignorant these dingbats are, and the same dingbats wonder why the game isn't more popular. Gee maybe if asshats like you didn't watch, it would be, at least your out-dated sentiment wouldn't be festering.

Alright rant over. Go Canes, win this series.
I have a guy at work who's a NYR fan who was complaining about us being scared of being outnumbered by their fans at home and basically called us "soft" and "chickenshit"...and questioned how we expected to sell tickets if we weren't letting in NY fans. Obviously didn't understand that we're not blocking NYR fans, just keeping tickets to locals (of which there will be plenty of NYR or split-loyalty fans). Also clearly has no idea what our attendance has been like this year, but it's not struggled at all, it's been BETTER than NY attendance

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I have a guy at work who's a NYR fan who was complaining about us being scared of being outnumbered by their fans at home and basically called us "soft" and "chickenshit"...and questioned how we expected to sell tickets if we weren't letting in NY fans. Obviously didn't understand that we're not blocking NYR fans, just keeping tickets to locals (of which there will be plenty of NYR or split-loyalty fans). Also clearly has no idea what our attendance has been like this year, but it's not struggled at all, it's been BETTER than NY attendance
They literally don't care the reason, they just want us to cater to their every whim. They're New Yorkers for christsakes. Every movie is made about them, they are the center of the universe. An injustice to the people of NYC is an injustice to the entire planet.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
And so suddenly today I discover that Carolina is overrated and the key word is top end talent.
If only we had top end talent like the Rags, we might have been top ten in goals like they....

Wait, no. The Canes were top ten in goals, the Rags weren't. They were 17th.

Well, maybe if we had top end goaltenting like the Rags, we might have won the Jennings trophy like they...

Wait, no. The Canes won the Jennings trophy.

Well, maybe if we had top end talent like the Rags, we could have had the best penalty kill in the league like they...

Wait, no. The Canes had the best penalty kill in the league.

Well, maybe if we had top end talent like the Rags, we could have won our second consecutive division title like they...

Wait, no. The Canes have won two straight division championships, the Rags haven't won a division since 2015.

If only we had top end talent like New York, we might stand a chance in this series. If only.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
If only we had top end talent like the Rags, we might have been top ten in goals like they....

Well, maybe if we had top end goaltenting like the Rags, we might have won the Jennings trophy like they...

Well, maybe if we had top end talent like the Rags, we could have had the best penalty kill in the league like they...

Well, maybe if we had top end talent like the Rags, we could have won our second consecutive division title like they...

Wait, no. The Canes have won two straight division championships, the Rags haven't won a division since 2015.

If only we had top end talent like New York, we might stand a chance in this series. If only.
World heritage post

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

This post.. I am surprised you are still around. That was brutal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Someone here or Reddit had a good quote about a week ago when Boston fans were complaining about "Bandwagon" or some bullshit. It went something like this

"I think these transplant fans who live here are, deep down, upset about how well the Canes are doing. The tickets are no longer cheap and they can't 'invade' like they used to".

I've been seeing a lot of bullshit during these playoffs about how we aren't "Real fans", how transplants have to "explain" the game to us, "the noise isn't real", etc. It truly amazes me how ignorant these dingbats are, and the same dingbats wonder why the game isn't more popular. Gee maybe if asshats like you didn't watch, it would be, at least your out-dated sentiment wouldn't be festering.

Alright rant over. Go Canes, win this series.

My experience with fellow Coyotes fans is that because we're a non-traditional market, if you're into hockey, you're really into hockey. There's hardly such a thing as a "casual" hockey fan in Arizona. It's like being a hockey fan is a secret club you have to go out of your way to find. So, if anything, that makes Rangers fans the filthy casuals.

Would you say that's remotely similar to being a Hurricanes fan?

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
My experience with fellow Coyotes fans is that because we're a non-traditional market, if you're into hockey, you're really into hockey. There's hardly such a thing as a "casual" hockey fan in Arizona. It's like being a hockey fan is a secret club you have to go out of your way to find. So, if anything, that makes Rangers fans the filthy casuals.

Would you say that's remotely similar to being a Hurricanes fan?

In my experience many of the fans I've met from traditional hockey markets like Boston, New York, Chicago etc really only talk hockey during playoffs, or when their team is doing well. They rarely know much about what's actually going on around the league.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
In my experience many of the fans I've met from traditional hockey markets like Boston, New York, Chicago etc really only talk hockey during playoffs, or when their team is doing well. They rarely know much about what's actually going on around the league.

Meanwhile, this Arizona/Tampa Bay fan has been going out of her way to watch Juraj Slafkovsky, Simon Nemec, David Jiricek, and Marco Kasper at the world championships, and occasionally watches the OHL, QMJHL, WHL, USHL, and college hockey to check out potential draftees for the summer. I wonder if the same fans from Boston/New York/Chicago even know who these prospects are.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Meanwhile, this Arizona/Tampa Bay fan has been going out of her way to watch Juraj Slafkovsky, Simon Nemec, David Jiricek, and Marco Kasper at the world championships, and occasionally watches the OHL, QMJHL, WHL, USHL, and college hockey to check out potential draftees for the summer. I wonder if the same fans from Boston/New York/Chicago even know who these prospects are.

😆 Highly doubt it. I have no idea who they are either. I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable hockey fan, but I'd say I follow the sport more closely than the majority of fans I've met from other markets. That's not saying much though.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
😆 Highly doubt it. I have no idea who they are either. I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable hockey fan, but I'd say I follow the sport more closely than the majority of fans I've met from other markets. That's not saying much though.

Juraj Slafkovsky - 6'4" winger who's very physical in his game and a puck hound. Has really been driving the plays for Slovakia in the games I've seen him play in at the world championships so far. Has also been deployed on the second power play unit and penalty killing unit. I project that he'll be selected second overall by New Jersey, but would be very happy if he drops to third overall and is selected by the Coyotes. Possible comparison for the sake of familiarity - Nikita Kucherov (not sure if his ceiling is that high though).

Simon Nemec - 6'1" RHD with very explosive skating and speed. Excellent hands, passing, and on-ice vision and decision making skills. Very solid all around prospect. I rate him as probably the top defenseman available in the 2022 draft. Has been playing on the left point on the top power play unit for Slovakia. Very responsible defensively and has almost no flaws in his game, at just the age of 18. Possible comparison, also for the sake of familiarity, is Victor Hedman, because plays smarter and not harder with his positioning and simply always being in the right place at the right time, but with not as much offensive upside, because he isn't nearly as flashy as...

David Jiricek - 6'3" RHD who's a lot flashier offensively. First two strides aren't as explosive but he can get going lightning quick. Mechanics are a little off but can be corrected. Very teachable because he's a bit more on the raw side. Arguably has a higher offensive upside than Nemec, but slightly higher bust potential if he doesn't pan out. Simply being on the Czech team at the age of 18 and playing such a big role for them is impressive in itself, however. Possible comparison - Chris Pronger.

Marco Kasper - 6'1" solid two-way center who projects as a solid 2C with already the floor of a very good 3C. Low bust potential. Will probably go in the mid to late first round. Very solid skating, positional awareness, defensive responsibility, muffin of a shot however. Offensive upside is mainly in the form of a guy you can plant in front of the net on the cycle and will get goals on tips and rebounds. Good in board battles and on the cycle. Possible comparison - Christian Dvorak.

Bonus prospect since I consider him the most likely Coyotes draftee: Logan Cooley - 5'10" two-way center who projects as a 1B center who could possibly score at a 70-80 point pace if he hits his ceiling. Excellent playmaking, skating, and vision abilities, and is a physical specimen for his size. I don't have enough of a sample size of watching him take faceoffs or getting stats on them, but he's also a half wall power play quarterback. Possible comparison - Brayden Point.

I hope this helps! :P

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Slush hockey
BCB1D09B-3530-46D6-BF6E-C51489EDC415.jpeg

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad