GDT: Round 2-Game 4| Caps @ Pens|"Mannish Boy" left in the dust|Thurs, May 3 (7:00pm)AT&T

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I don't know why Sprong would play in ZAR's place instead of Jooris. You have a scorer who you obviously think is too green, so you put him on the 4th line with zero help instead of a guy that can do everything else needed on that line. Not what I would have done.
sprong would not be playing in zar's place ...he would be with geno and someone else would be droped to replace zar. imo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Fortunately, looks like Hags might be in....would be excellent news

Unfortunately, if Rowney/Sprong/Jooris stayed on the ice that means Simon is still playing and not Sprong...I really don't get the fascination with Simon...he's been pretty meh if not outright bad....

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I would point out that another Pens' Caps series with Trotz coaching and the team trying to prove their manhood would make the Pens wilt, where there turning point was when there was a three game suspension for a stupid selfish hit. To of all people Orpik.

It wasn't that Orpik was the driving force of that team, but the Caps' depth could not handle the loss.

Similar here. Wilson is more important than Orpik, but the real impact is that the Caps do not have the depth to lose a top six player. The Pens could lose Malkin, Hags, Dumo half a game, ZAR, and still be only down one game because of a missed trip. The Caps do not have that kind of depth yet again.

quotes-by-yogi-berra-2016.png

Or better said some dinosaurs never learn.

Reactions: Sideline and domaug

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
While it wont surprise me if the Caps ultimately win the series for once...but lets point out that their depth really has been cruddy compared to the past few years... It wouldnt surprise me if the won the next two, lost the next three, or won tonight and lost out... its really just who finishes their chances at this point

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I would point out that another Pens' Caps series with Trotz coaching and the team trying to prove their manhood would make the Pens wilt, where there turning point was when there was a three game suspension for a stupid selfish hit. To of all people Orpik.

It wasn't that Orpik was the driving force of that team, but the Caps' depth could not handle the loss.

Similar here. Wilson is more important than Orpik, but the real impact is that the Caps do not have the depth to lose a top six player. The Pens could lose Malkin, Hags, Dumo half a game, ZAR, and still be only down one game because of a missed trip. The Caps do not have that kind of depth yet again.

quotes-by-yogi-berra-2016.png

Or better said some dinosaurs never learn.

There are some Caps fans that believe Vrana should be on the top line over Wilson.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Everytime we’ve been down in a series we’ve won the next game. (Since 2015/16)
Yeah, I'm having a hard time being too pessimistic. We've beaten the Caps too many times under just about every circumstance; it's déjà vécu at this point. Perhaps that gives me unrealistic expectations. :laugh: In fact, I'm expecting a big night from Geno to make that feeling of having been here before complete, yeah?

Reactions: Bumpus

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I'm having a hard time being too pessimistic. We've beaten the Caps too many times under just about every circumstance; it's déjà vécu at this point. Perhaps that gives me unrealistic expectations. :laugh: In fact, I'm expecting a big night from Geno to make that feeling of having been here before complete, yeah?

Yup, Geno looked very good last night, just missed off the post on a net that was half wide open, and was just getting his skates back under him after being out. Now against a depleted lineup? Choose your poison Washington. Crosby? Malkin? The third line however Sully ends up making that line?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sprong is would make me cream my pants. Fantasy time boys...gather...

7:29 PM, Pittsburgh. Mike Sullivan sees a roster of 19 players. He needs one more. Hagelin isn't quite ready. ZAR is out with a broken jaw. He looks over the list of replacements. Rowney, Jooris, Daniel Sp...Daniel...Sprong. Sullivan figures, well...he's fast, can shoot the puck which we need right now, and can be physical if needed. We have enough PK'ers...oh what the hell. Sullivan selects Sprong. He replaces ZAR on the 4th line with Kuhnhackl and Brassard.

Game starts. Sluggish start for the Pens despite the home arena advantage. Crosby's line goes out and Jakey establishes some zone time but the Caps quickly counter. Malkin's line is next. It gets hampered in their own zone because of two failures to clear. Caps have 4 shots 2 min into the game. Sheahan and Kessel hop on the ice. Sheary falls down. They get the puck out of their own zone and dump it deep. Sullivan gives the tap to Sprong. "Go get em kid". 4th line hopes on. Kuhnhackl skates in a circle 20 feet from the puck. I think his controller got disconnected or something. Oleksiak passes the puck up to Brassard who hits a crossing Sprong at the blue line. Brassard hussles up and out skates the Caps dman to make it 2 on 2. Sprong enters the zone, Brassard swings in behind him, Sprong drops the puck to him and peels off. Brass takes the puck HARD down the left side with a Caps dman in pursuit. He swing around the neck and looks up. Sprong is waiting in the slot, stick half raises. Brassard slips a pass through the Caps dmans legs right into Sprong's wheelhouse. Sprong winds and fires. The puck hits the back of the net before Holtby can even react. Sprong raises his hands in triumph! Brass and Kuhn tackle him and cheer him on. Sullivan looks to Recchi, smiles, nods. Guerin makes notes in the owners box expressing concern about his defensive abilities and his play away from the puck despite being on the ice for 20 seconds and scoring a goal.

Anyway, the rest of the game goes on. Sprong scores 3 more and sets up 2 others. Pens win 10-0. Everyone is happy.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hags in:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-Malkin-Simon
Rust-Sheahan-Kessel
Kuhn-Brassard-Sheary

Hags out:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Brassard-Malkin-Simon
Rust-Sheahan-Kessel
Kuhn-Jooris-Sheary

Honestly, regardless of where he plays, it's time for Brassard to start having an impact. He's been outplayed by Sheahan this playoffs so far. I've been quite disappointed.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Guenztel Crosby Hornqvist
Hagelin Malkin Kessel
Brassard Sheahan Rust
Whocares double shift 1 2 or 3

That's the team I trust.

Reactions: EightyOne

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I have a bad feeling about this series, too many ?s about Phil, Brass, etc. and too many guys just not playing up to snuff. But, then again, they've surprised me before.

Reactions: Andy99

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Yup, Geno looked very good last night, just missed off the post on a net that was half wide open, and was just getting his skates back under him after being out. Now against a depleted lineup? Choose your poison Washington. Crosby? Malkin? The third line however Sully ends up making that line?
Going on two seasons and I'm still not used to your continuous positivity. You're down right sanguine.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sprong is would make me cream my pants. Fantasy time boys...gather...

7:29 PM, Pittsburgh. Mike Sullivan sees a roster of 19 players. He needs one more. Hagelin isn't quite ready. ZAR is out with a broken jaw. He looks over the list of replacements. Rowney, Jooris, Daniel Sp...Daniel...Sprong. Sullivan figures, well...he's fast, can shoot the puck which we need right now, and can be physical if needed. We have enough PK'ers...oh what the hell. Sullivan selects Sprong. He replaces ZAR on the 4th line with Kuhnhackl and Brassard.

Game starts. Sluggish start for the Pens despite the home arena advantage. Crosby's line goes out and Jakey establishes some zone time but the Caps quickly counter. Malkin's line is next. It gets hampered in their own zone because of two failures to clear. Caps have 4 shots 2 min into the game. Sheahan and Kessel hop on the ice. Sheary falls down. They get the puck out of their own zone and dump it deep. Sullivan gives the tap to Sprong. "Go get em kid". 4th line hopes on. Kuhnhackl skates in a circle 20 feet from the puck. I think his controller got disconnected or something. Oleksiak passes the puck up to Brassard who hits a crossing Sprong at the blue line. Brassard hussles up and out skates the Caps dman to make it 2 on 2. Sprong enters the zone, Brassard swings in behind him, Sprong drops the puck to him and peels off. Brass takes the puck HARD down the left side with a Caps dman in pursuit. He swing around the neck and looks up. Sprong is waiting in the slot, stick half raises. Brassard slips a pass through the Caps dmans legs right into Sprong's wheelhouse. Sprong winds and fires. The puck hits the back of the net before Holtby can even react. Sprong raises his hands in triumph! Brass and Kuhn tackle him and cheer him on. Sullivan looks to Recchi, smiles, nods. Guerin makes notes in the owners box expressing concern about his defensive abilities and his play away from the puck despite being on the ice for 20 seconds and scoring a goal.

Anyway, the rest of the game goes on. Sprong scores 3 more and sets up 2 others. Pens win 10-0. Everyone is happy.

I love this...you should write fantasy hockey novels...only one change: Sully, if he grudgingly put Sprong in the lineup, would never smile at his success. It would prove him wrong....

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
For the love of god boys, get the f***ing win.

We bitched and moaned they couldn't start well...Then they did, but forgot how to finish well. Damn it, play the whole game. For once this year, play the whole game. This is the season. This could mean the legacy has a chance to continue, or it could mean pack it in.

I'm gonna be listening to the first period on my drive to work. And so help me god if I get there and it's outta reach for the Pens at the end of one.

Let's
Go
Pens!

Reactions: Bumpus

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I love this...you should write fantasy hockey novels...only one change: Sully, if he grudgingly put Sprong in the lineup, would never smile at his success. It would prove him wrong....

I don't think I could top the Pulitzer prize sports author that is Matt Christopher.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know I make it a bad habit to wring my hands about Malkin particularly when he comes back from injury. But I think last game was a lot of adrenaline and excitement to be back. And he still didn't really make an impact on the game. I feel a letdown coming, tonight. His linemate situation without Hagelin is a problem, too. Though we'll see if that changes here in a few hours.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Going on two seasons and I'm still not used to your continuous positivity. You're down right sanguine.

I will say again, Jaded does not mean yelling at kids to get off my lawn. I don't always call 'em right, but I will call them as I see them,

I even saw Kirk pretend to be positive once.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Lol oh god. Smith-pelly is gonna #CleanHit everyone he can for sure.
Caps got plenty of these freaks...worst type of next man up.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Lol oh god. Smith-pelly is gonna #CleanHit everyone he can for sure.
Caps got plenty of these freaks...worst type of next man up.

Yeah I am positive this is going to be that game where the refs will want to keep control of everything and some idiot from one of the two teams is going to go overboard and draw a major... I so hope its a Cap... I totally want to hear them meltdown after getting an obvious call against them... they are already in full paranoid conspiracy mode...lol

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad