Prospect Info: Round 2, 51st overall: Carson Bjarnason, G, Brandon (WHL) (signed 9/26/23)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Literally the top-ranked NA goalie in the draft. I get that people are skeptical of stuff but it's pretty goddamn silly to have your first reaction to this pick be "HOW DO I FIND A WAY TO HATE THIS!?"
CSS rankings are terrible, especially for goalies. I don't know shit about goalies, but EP has a dedicated goalie person and they had Bjarnason ranked 109. The trade up was actually good value, but just looking at the WHL, it's hard for me to believe Heidt, Dragicevic, and Sawchyn aren't better prospects. They are going to blow up the WHL next year and that has value on its own. Feels like they saw the goalie run and panicked.

Seems like he has some holes up high fwiw.

1688064104500.png

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I mean goalies are just not drafted that early anymore since teams have realized their development can be unexpected. People can say the Flyers went by 'their board', but what if 'their board' was biased because of poor thought process in the creation? Like putting a defensive dman or goalie 'higher' because they think their INTERNAL NEED in the coming years at either position demands it?

So you're not drafting by strictly talent evaluation, you've now thrown in trying to fix teams needs.

BTW looking at forwards vs goalies this year.

top 10 points forwards
Avg draft pos: 14.9
Median: 5.5 (Kucherov at #58 throws off the curve)

3/10 #1 picks, 7/10 top 10 picks.

top 10 goalies save %

Avg draft pos: 89.1
Median draft post: 99

(NOTE Alexander Georgiev went undrafted. If you were to include him and give him a postion of 218 since there were 217 picks in the year he went undrafted that gives you values of

Avg draft pos: 102
Median draft pos: 105.

You're more likely to find a 'top goalie' who was drafted in the 3rd round or later than you are one taken in the first two.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think the Bonk pick will end up being a whiff, so following it with two goalies was mystifying, but I like several picks after. Ciernik could be a whole thing.

Yeah I really don't like the Bonk pick the more I look into it. Way too much high-end talent available there to take a low-ceiling defensemen. It's a classic Flyers scouts pick. This same group took Adam Ginning in the 2nd round.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
CSS rankings are terrible, especially for goalies. I don't know shit about goalies, but EP has a dedicated goalie person and they had Bjarnason ranked 109. The trade up was actually good value, but just looking at the WHL, it's hard for me to believe Heidt, Dragicevic, and Sawchyn aren't better prospects. They are going to blow up the WHL next year and that has value on its own. Feels like they saw the goalie run and panicked.

Seems like he has some holes up high fwiw.

View attachment 723669

great

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think when people use the term BPA around here, they mean the most physically skilled offensive player.
Flyers have done a pretty good job drafting goalies, defensemen, that's been more erratic.
But as long as they stick to their board, it's a rebuild, go with value.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
It makes sense to draft goalies in bulk later on the draft because they’re usually far what they can become. Whether the second round is late enough I don’t know but I’m sure it’s a factor we could take out back and pummel.

HexyClarke

Jun 10, 2022
Just wondering if there will be a trend with teams not wanting to pay goalies in the near future. The last 2 cups proved you might be better with a goalie at 3 million and an additional top player at 7 million. Then spending in reverse. The best way to do that is having a pipeline of potential candidates to rotate thru. The isles now have 11 million tied up in goaltending for the next 4 years. Just seems excessive to me.

Reactions: scumpup and orangey

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Bonk should end up being a second pair RHD. Drafting at 22, if you expect more than that, you're deluding yourself. Sanheim was a 17 and a second pair guy. That's usually what you get there.
I don't expect anything, but plenty of guys drafted mid 1st and lower ended up being more than 2nd pair guys.

Karlsson was drafted at 15
McAvoy 14
Fox 66
Josi 38
Chabot 18
Carlson 27
Burns 20
Weber 49
Orlov 55
Spurgeon 156
Toews 108
Vlasic 35

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
Evaluating Forwards is easy. You skate fast, move the puck fast, and shoot fast. Good forward. You work with two other forwards who can cover up your weakness. Defense is more abstract in that you can have lower "talent/skill" but still be more effective than someone with more skill if you're more consistent. Goalies? Holy shit we shouldnt be allowed to draft them at age 18, more like 21/22. They dont even play the same game once they grow into their man bodies.

ProcessThis

May 17, 2017
Evaluating Forwards is easy. You skate fast, move the puck fast, and shoot fast. Good forward. You work with two other forwards who can cover up your weakness. Defense is more abstract in that you can have lower "talent/skill" but still be more effective than someone with more skill if you're more consistent. Goalies? Holy shit we shouldnt be allowed to draft them at age 18, more like 21/22. They dont even play the same game once they grow into their man bodies.
This is very true. Goalies are a fickle bunch.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think the Fedotov situation played into this, they had Kosolov and little else in the pipeline.
If they keep Ersson, they'll have to waive Sandstrom, and he might get claimed.
Peterson is just a cap dump and headed to LHV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad