Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 5: Cutter Gauthier, LW, USNTDP -> Boston College

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
A good developmental decision finally stumbled upon. Way too many 1st rounders go 1-and-done in the NCAA and then fizzle. His point production was surface level good in school and at the WJC, but I don't think he was "dominant." His tracking data also confirms that. And no one even knows what position he is long-term (well.....). Being a 19 year old AHL center, under the tutelage of Coach Lappy, was worst case. Another issue is that years of few picks and fewer good picks means he'd have no young talent with whom to play. Kicking this can is good.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Couts is back, then Gauthier's value in the short-run would be LW.
And we're going to sign Lemieux for 3LW! :popcorn:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
FWIW, Flahr said he could use another year of college in THN Future Watch.
I think he didn’t play center as much as they wanted him too, because I know they were saying the plan from the draft was to sign this season. At least I know that’s what he thought.

He could’ve had a better world junior too

Reactions: CutOnDime97

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's big, fast, has a plus plus shot. What's not to like? Should have a lot of value as a sniper on the PP.

I look forward to Torts getting his hands on Gauthier, he'll teach him to use that size and speed on defense, even if he can't stay at center, it'll make him a better LW.

With Brink and eventually Michkov, not sure we need 3 playmaking centers, like G used to do, they are wingers that can drive a line. One thing to watch for with pairings like Brink and Cates, is whether Brink becomes the de facto center on offense while Cates CYA at center on defense.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
he'll teach him to use that size and speed on defense
1697891426740.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, it ruined Couts.

When was Tortorella coach of Couturier?

Let's not forget a coach was fired in large part because of the detrimental effect it was feared he was having on Couturier's offense. Weird that's left out. Youre really leaning into bad faith statements early today. When that's what defense of a thing requires, you probably shouldn't be defending it.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Yeah, it ruined Couts.
I don’t think couts ever used his speed for defense. And he came in as a strong 2 way center already. He was locking malkin down that year and he was the mvp (I think), having an insane year without Crosby.

We should’ve tried to unlock couts offensive potential early but we didn’t do that at all.

View attachment 755599

I’m all for maximizing his on-ice effectiveness, but Let’s let him do in the pros what he does well at college before we start trying to work on a ‘weakness’ first.
For real. I don’t want cutter to lose any offensive confidence at all. Hopefully his defensive game will grow but if he is being benched time and time again for one mistake here and there…we need the right coach for our prospects

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Playing good defense doesn't detract from offense (unless you think a player should be "cherry picking"). It's just a matter of focus on details, positioning, stick work, effort on the back check.

When he doesn't have the puck, an offensive player shouldn't be a spectator.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Playing good defense doesn't detract from offense (unless you think a player should be "cherry picking"). It's just a matter of focus on details, positioning, stick work, effort on the back check.

When he doesn't have the puck, an offensive player shouldn't be a spectator.

When the team punishes players for being "too offensive" and not matching idiotic line role archetypes, like the Flyers do, it detracts.

Reactions: Tripod and Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost isn't being punished for being "too offensive." he's being punished for passive play.
Torts dislikes sins of omission more than sins of commission.
That is, he'll tolerate mistakes made at full speed but not passive play.

If Torts disliked players who were too offensive, TK would be nailed to the bench.
TK is probably the most mistake prone forward, but he does everything at full speed and makes things happen, albeit for both teams at times.

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
Frost isn't being punished for being "too offensive." he's being punished for passive play.

If Torts disliked players who were too offensive, TK would be nailed to the bench.
TK is probably the most mistake prone forward, but he does everything at full speed and makes things happen, albeit for both teams at times.
Frosty just needs to drop da mitts with Deslauriers in practice and all will be forgiven

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A Frost -Gauthier - Tippett line might be interesting to see this spring.
I wonder if Frost might be better off on the wing where he doesn't have the same defensive responsibilities and can focus on making things happen on offense.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Bullshit. Multiple other players have been more passive. He's being punished because Tortorella doesn't understand or like his playstyle. It's that simple.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A Frost -Gauthier - Tippett line might be interesting to see this spring.
I wonder if Frost might be better off on the wing where he doesn't have the same defensive responsibilities and can focus on making things happen on offense.

This makes no sense. Frost has proven he can handle D at center and create plays. We don't know Gauthier is an NHL center. Why would we not want him handling that and feeding Gauthier to only have to worry about finishing feeds?

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad