Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 27: Morgan Frost, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
He is really skilled people. Skates good. Puckhandles well. Great passing skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: Curufinwe

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
People will say they passed up on Tolvanen (everyone did really) but he's not the type of player the Flyers value. Undersized, shot first winger, not much defensive value, and possible character concerns.

We'll see how it turns out.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Wait...Deacon Frost?

3fcd9ccaf99273682ef9f5eb9c917a51.jpg

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
With all the other teams also passing on Tolvanen I feel better. There must be something up with this guy for multiple GMs to pass on him.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
People will say they passed up on Tolvanen (everyone did really) but he's not the type of player the Flyers value. Undersized, shot first winger, not much defensive value, and possible character concerns.

right but guess what, undersized shot first winger with not much defensive value have sure had a lot of freaking success lately in the playoffs.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Just post again what I wrote in his prospect thread:

I personally think the depth in the 2nd drops off a bit towards the middle, at least how I have it, where I'm not seeing a ton of names with what I think have some real steal potential in that round. I think Frost could be one. I would take him much higher than 45 even.

Love his game for many reasons you described -- so adept at controlling play on the puck and slowing it down; great passing; excellent hockey IQ in both ends; high compete; and really looks like a projectable center. IQ and skill and effort like his is projectable and has great upside. His TPG skating results surprised me because I thought that his skating needs work on his first few steps, especially from a stop. In stride thought it was good with more potential too, but I think it's something that could be worked on still to get to another level. Could stand to just move his feet more too. But clearly he flashes top end speed. He just feels physically raw too at 6' 170lbs where physical development could do wonders -- skating and otherwise. I just really like his game, and if I'm picking in the 2nd he has potential steal written on him to me. Floor and ceiling.

I'll just evaluate the player and not the trade, but I really really like Morgan Frost. Had him 32 on my final board, but I had some defenders and a goalie and some other ahead, so really, he was essentially a late 1st talent forward for me next to Mismash and Boqvist and Kostin. Such a Hextall pick. It's not a reach for me at all. I don't see where he'd play at center here, but I don't see why he can't play wing. I really do see him as a potential NHL center though, not like a Suzuki or JAD (why I had him above) or someone IMO.

hockeyphan25

Aug 28, 2005
wtf? I don't get this. Frost at 27? Not that he sucks but that's the best of what is left?

I don't mind seeing Schenn go though. No consistent effort, completely disappeared in the playoffs against Washington last season. Like he wasn't even dressed. I have hated him since that series.

I do like the player a lot but this does seem early for him. I would have traded this 1st down and tried to come away with (between the two picks from the trade down and our 2nd) 3 of Entwistle, Chmelevski, Frost, Morand, or Popugaev (I know he's a risk and has questions but this guy scores lasers from the boards like it's nothing and his goals in close are dandies not just pucks fluttering by the goalie).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
right but guess what, undersized shot first winger with not much defensive value have sure had a lot of freaking success lately in the playoffs.

They also have a tendency to flop before they even get near that level. Remember Bellows just last year? I'm not saying Frost is going to be a 2nd line Center, but the Flyers are as good as any team in the 1st round for a reason.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Just to add more thoughts: I know his stats aren't blow you away good, but SSM really divvies up their minutes between their top 2 lines -- 5v5 and PP. Also, I watched Frost mainly play with Senyshyn . FWIW I think he's a pretty iffy IQ, tunnel vision guy, and not great in the o zone. I'm sure he helped his assist totals on the season, but he didn't really contribute much else to the line and wasn't particularly good in the cycle. Maybe playing with Katchouk or someone next year would be a better fit for Morgan.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not a fan of the trade itself but I like the pick & the player. When you start getting to this part in the draft there's going to be a lot of variation especially this year. We'll see how he turns out.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Here's the HockeyDraftCentral profile, which has some quotes not cited elsewhere. Sounds like a smart, fast, skilled kid who needs to fill out. Have to trust the scouts, they've earned it (and Magua too!)

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/2017/17_frost_m.html

• "Great skater with very good edge control. Has ability to find loose pucks due to very good instincts. Has a potential to play at a high level, but needs to learn to play in traffic better. Will be a good pick for an NHL team." (Andrew Degroot, ISS Scout)

• "The talent is there, but he’s small, and gets those games where he’s not totally engaged. He’s soft and light on defence -- a stick-checker -- but his defensive sense is good. He has the smarts. He needs to improve his strength so he can engage better." (Anonymous Scout, Recrutes.ca)

• "I like Frost, but he’s a slight/lighter bottom four round guy to me. He’s skilled and smart, but he’s very light or soft -- I don’t know what the right word is I’m looking for." (Anonymous NHL Scout, HockeyProspect.com Black Book)

• "Has a very quick stick and fires hard shots off east-west jump cuts. Nimble on skates with some shake-'n'-bake. Had mostly unskilled linemates, yet was still able to produce lots of dangerous chances, mostly creating on his own. Excels on both special-teams units with excellent anticipation." (Red Line Report)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Just to add more thoughts: I know his stats aren't blow you away good, but SSM really divvies up their minutes between their top 2 lines -- 5v5 and PK. Also, I watched Frost mainly play with Senyshyn . FWIW I think he's a pretty iffy IQ, tunnel vision guy, and not great in the o zone. I'm sure he helped his assist totals on the season, but he didn't really contribute much else to the line and wasn't particularly good in the cycle. Maybe playing with Katchouk or someone next year would be a better fit for Morgan.

Frost with a pretty iffy IQ? Now I'all be honest I have only watched highlights but Hex just said the kid has elite hockey sense.

EDIT: OHHH talking about Senyshn if I'm not mistaken

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011

To be fair, the Flyers could use a few shot first players. I'm not saying that Tolvanen is the guy they needed, but I don't know that avoiding goal scorers in favor of passers with more defensive acumen is always the way to go.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
They also have a tendency to flop before they even get near that level. Remember Bellows just last year? I'm not saying Frost is going to be a 2nd line Center, but the Flyers are as good as any team in the 1st round for a reason.

I know all of like 3 other people are going to get this, but highly drafting undersized wingers whose value is mostly in their shot is like drafting a high K guy who is stuck at 1B. You'd better be right on the goal scoring or there's nothing there. I want Centers early like I want up the middle position players.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
To be fair, the Flyers could use a few shot first players. I'm not saying that Tolvanen is the guy they needed, but I don't know that avoiding goal scorers in favor of passers with more defensive acumen is always the way to go.

Frost has a good shot with other nice qualities as well. If Tolvanen's scoring doesn't transfer then he's just another guy.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

since 2008

luca sbisa, coots, laughton , morin, sanheim, provy,koneck, rubstov

sbisa, laughton, and morin are pretty questionable picks

the only sure fire good picks are provy which was a no brainer, and coots which was a no brainer. rubstov sanheim are unproven

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
since 2008

luca sbisa, coots, laughton , morin, sanheim, provy,koneck, rubstov

sbisa, laughton, and morin are pretty questionable picks

the only sure fire good picks are provy which was a no brainer, and coots which was a no brainer. rubstov sanheim are unproven

Someone on twitter did an analysis but Flyers, for where they pick players on the 1st, are one of the top teams in the NHL getting value out of their players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad