Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 23: Tyson Foerster, RW, Barrie (OHL)

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Foerster is looking really good right now. Small sample size, but I am impressed by his sense and vision in making plays. His shot of course is very good, but the rest of his game looks really good. I don’t see a skating issue even though he looks awkward, he seems to get places well. Looks good along the boards and defensively responsible. Again small sample size, but it looks like we have a player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd like to see Foerster and Brink with the skating coach this summer, I think skating is the one thing that can hold those two back from a solid NHL career. They don't have to be speedsters, just enough functional speed that they don't get exposed.

Otherwise Foerster looks solid.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Foerster is looking really good right now. Small sample size, but I am impressed by his sense and vision in making plays. His shot of course is very good, but the rest of his game looks really good. I don’t see a skating issue even though he looks awkward, he seems to get places well. Looks good along the boards and defensively responsible. Again small sample size, but it looks like we have a player.
Keep hope alive....tell dope (Clarke and his clan) to take a dive.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Skating ability was an issue when he was drafted. He’ll never be a speedy guy but has worked on it and improved every year. It’s not a liability like it once looked to be.

Reactions: Larry44

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
York has been solid, small sample size but Foerster does look promising, no reason not be optimistic about Gauthier... part of me wants to begrudgingly give Cuck credit for how he drafted in the 1st round, but then i'm reminded of the Risto trade and that somehow manages to invalidate all of that.

Reactions: renberg and Embiid

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Give the guy credit for knowing his weaknesses and doing what he can to get by them. There are a couple of other guys on this roster who could use his attitude.

Gotta presume a big part of that attitude is tuning out management. If he listened to them his whole focus would be onf getting faster and bigger and crunchy on the boards, not being smart.

Reactions: renberg and Embiid

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm certainly not praising the Gauthier pick just yet. York was a very safe and easy high floor pick as far as that draft went, although they still made the call to pass on Boldy, who'd I take 1 for 1. But if York didn't end up a solid puck moving 2nd pair guy, something went awry. He looks on track for that. How Fletcher/Flahr describe these players is more the issue. They believed York was a super dynamic creator + PP1 guy to the extent they don't need another undersized defender (oh, yeah, dynamic Andrae too!). When he's really just a well-rounded efficient player who will occasionally pop.

I think Foerster was their best find in the 1st, but again, how they described him for years makes me believe they didn't fully understand his game. They saw his size and his shot and made the pick almost entirely based off that -- we know this because they haven't mentioned a single other thing he brings. And it fits their shooting obsession.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm certainly not praising the Gauthier pick just yet. York was a very safe and easy high floor pick as far as that draft went, although they still made the call to pass on Boldy, who'd I take 1 for 1. But if York didn't end up a solid puck moving 2nd pair guy, something went awry. He looks on track for that. How Fletcher/Flahr describe these players is more the issue. They believed York was a super dynamic creator + PP1 guy to the extent they don't need another undersized defender (oh, yeah, dynamic Andrae too!). When he's really just a well-rounded efficient player who will occasionally pop.

I think Foerster was their best find in the 1st, but again, how they described him for years makes me believe they didn't fully understand his game. They saw his size and his shot and made the pick almost entirely based off that -- we know this because they haven't mentioned a single other thing he brings. And it fits their shooting obsession.

Be ready for this post about process to be deliberately misread as something else.

• Wow
Reactions: Magua

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Foerster scored the shootout winner in the last game, but only has two ES assists and no goals in 20 games so far playing mostly on the top line. I don't remember the last time a rookie Flyer forward got so much rope without putting up actual points.

Gotta be Nodl.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Good call. 5 ESP and no PPP in 48 games in his first two seasons getting 10:41 a game.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Good call. 5 ESP and no PPP in 48 games in his first two seasons getting 10:41 a game.

The remaining scouting and development staff have a lot invested here which is likely why it’s happening. They felt they found their 40-goal scorer.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Foerster wasn't a great ES scorer in Junior which is a big reason why I was lower on him in his DY. Still a bit surprising he's struggled to this degree given his skill level and smarts. He didn't exactly land in the ideal spot to maximize his offensive potential though.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Foerster wasn't a great ES scorer in Junior which is a big reason why I was lower on him in his DY. Still a bit surprising he's struggled to this degree given his skill level and smarts. He didn't exactly land in the ideal spot to maximize his offensive potential though.
I'm going to start this by saying there's probably more production from him than we're seeing right now.

With that being said, most of his 5v5 time has been with Couts and TK as forwards, and Sanheim and York as Defense. So when I ask this question, it's legitimate, what else at 5v5 do you want to see him maximize his offensive potential at least as ES?

Or, do you mean with the Flyers in general? Because if you mean that, then I agree.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Was this guy the next Lindros or was it Cutter? I get the overrated, 1 dimensional prospects confused

• Wow
Reactions: Larry44

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Or, do you mean with the Flyers in general? Because if you mean that, then I agree.
The later. They just do not promote offensive creativity.

You’re right though. He has been given more rope than pretty much every young player this side of Provorov so a chunk of the blame falls on him, but I can’t help but think he’d be finding more success elsewhere.

Reactions: VladDrag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad