Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 23: Tyson Foerster, RW, Barrie (OHL)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Profile and information gathered by @MiamiScreamingEagles

Tyson Foerster
2019-20 Team: Barrie Colts (#71)
Date of Birth: January 18, 2002
Place of Birth: Alliston, ON, Canada
Ht: 6’1” Wt: 194 lbs
Shoots: Right
Position: Center/Wing
NHL Draft Eligibility: 2020 first-year eligible

====================================

Foerster's push toward being top NHL prospect got some help from his brother - BarrieToday.com

Wherever Dawson Foerster went, younger brother Tyson wasn't too far behind.

"Even being two years younger, he was always trying to keep up with Dawson and his buddies," Glen

Foerster recalled of his sons growing up, who could often be found playing hockey in the basement or out on the driveway. "It was a good push for him, always just wanting to try and be better than his brother."

Next week, Barrie Colts forward Tyson Foerster is expected to hear his name called in the first round of the NHL Entry Draft. One of the elite scorers in the draft, Foerster's life-long dream is just around the corner.

But back in those days growing up in Alliston, Tyson just wanted to be like his big brother. When he saw Dawson on the ice playing hockey, a two-year-old Tyson started skating.

"Him and his brother were pretty close growing up," the father remembered of his boys during an interview with BarrieToday. "In every sport, (Tyson) was always pushing and pushing and wanted to be better than his brother, playing a bit of baseball, some lacrosse, ball hockey. A bit of everything. He just always wanted to be the better person."

Glen built a little floor hockey rink for his sons in the basement. They would spend hours running around on a floor that had the lines painted on it along with two nets that got pretty worn down over the years. From mini sticks at first to regular hockey sticks, there was no shortage of action.

As you could imagine, every game between the two siblings was a must-win. Tyson laughs as he recalls just how competitive things got between the two.

"One of us would always come up crying when we were little," recalls the now-18-year-old Foerster. "I was always trying to beat him. I always looked up to him when I was little. He was always better than me, but once I started getting older I started taking over more and more, so it kind of pushed me more."

Which is why Tyson will be thrilled having his brother and the rest of his family right beside him at home on that special day next Tuesday when the draft will be held virtually for the first time in NHL history.​
====================

=====================

===================

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Tyson Foerster, a third-round (55th overall) pick in the 2018 OHL Draft put himself on the map for the 2020 NHL Draft with a big draft season. The Alliston, Ontario native scored 36 goals and 44 assists for 80 points in 62 games for the Barrie Colts. Foerster’s 18 power-play goals led the OHL. It was also a big jump from his rookie season when he put up 10 goals and 23 points in 64 games. Foerster also made a huge statement at the CHL Top Prospects Game. Playing with and against other star draft-eligible players, Foerster scored two goals and an assist leading Team White to victory. Foerster took home the game’s MVP award as well.

Foerster took 3.62 shots on goal per game this season and overall his 225 shots finished 17th in the OHL. To put that in perspective, Aidan Brown, who finished second on the Colts had just 129 shots on goal.

In 2017-18 Foerster played for Team OHA Black, scoring two goals in four tournament games and helping his team to third place at the 2018 OHL Gold Cup. He also scored five goals and nine points in five games for Barrie Colts Minor Midget at the OHL Cup.

Tyson Foerster Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #36

Reactions: Defect

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
source.gif

Reactions: BigToe

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
2020 Draft: Byfield's size, strength, skating make him OHL's top prospect

Q: Barrie right wing Tyson Foerster (No. 21) opened a lot of eyes at the 2020 CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game on Jan. 16, scoring two goals and an assist. How has his game grown since September?

"He's been one of the biggest risers of the draft class this season. There wasn't much hype on him at the start of the year and he kind of just burst onto the radar and forced everybody to take note. Foerster (6-1, 194) was consistent all year and his statistics were outstanding (80 points; 36 goals, 44 assists in 62 games). I think that his skating improved a ton and he just kept getting better and better. He went from a C-rated prospect on our list to a B-rated prospect and ended up as A-rated in our final rankings in the first round. The prospects game helped his cause; he showed he can play with and against all the top competition of this draft class and excel. He has a lethal shot and excellent goal-scoring instincts and his playmaking ability, I think, is underrated as well. He's as good as anybody in the draft with the puck on his stick and definitely a potential sleeper in this draft."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad