Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 2: Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Patrick was ok last night but he should be alright going forward. He has the tools...has a commanding presence out there from what I saw at the game.

I really like Lindblom though...what a damn steal!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'd be slightly disappointed.

Not that I don't consider Krejci a nice player.

Frost's style, btw, reminds me of Krejci's.

I'd be pretty happy if he did the same as prime Krejci...

Age 22-29 era adjusted:

561gp, 481points, 0.86 PPG, 70p/82gp

70 adjusted points per 82 is equivalent to ~65 points per 82 games in todays scoring climate.

If Patrick can be a ~65 point, great 2-way center for his prime I would be happy I think!

He is a better goalscorer than Krejci though for sure.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'd be pretty happy if he did the same as prime Krejci...

Age 22-29 era adjusted:

561gp, 481points, 0.86 PPG, 70p/82gp

70 adjusted points per 82 is equivalent to ~65 points per 82 games in todays scoring climate.

If Patrick can be a ~65 point, great 2-way center for his prime I would be happy I think!

He is a better goalscorer than Krejci though for sure.

I have him at 445 points in 561 games (0.79 ppg, 65p/82gp, which is more in line with what I thought). Not sure where you found the extra 36 points.

Also not sure what that is era adjusted. I guess around 60/82.

And I certainly wouldn't be *upset* if Nolan Patrick averaged 55-60 pts per 82 from ages 22-29. But I'm not sure that's going to be enough when you're dealing with Austin Matthews, Eichel, etc. in the East.

Hoping for a little more of a go-to horse than a very good complementary center.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have him at 445 points in 561 games (0.79 ppg, 65p/82gp, which is more in line with what I thought). Not sure where you found the extra 36 points.

Also not sure what that is era adjusted. I guess around 60/82.

And I certainly wouldn't be *upset* if Nolan Patrick averaged 55-60 pts per 82 from ages 22-29. But I'm not sure that's going to be enough when you're dealing with Austin Matthews, Eichel, etc. in the East.

Hoping for a little more of a go-to horse than a very good complementary center.

Those points I listed are adjusted for scoring era. Effectively as Krejci has played through two different scoring eras. It is not exactly fair to compare 70pts when 70pts was 25th in scoring to 70pts when 70pts was 10th in scoring for example.

His 13-14 season for example was better than his 08-09 when you account for league being lower scoring.

Effectively if the NHL was scoring at a rate of 6.00 PPG Krejci would have got 70pts/82 games over his prime.

But in this era that equates to ~65pts/82 games.

From 08-09 to 2015-16 he was the 17th most productive NHL center on a game by game basis and 18th most points overall by an NHL center in that span... while being very good defensively. There is a legitimate argument to be made that he was a top 15 center in the NHL over an 8 season period.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Those points I listed are adjusted for scoring era. Effectively as Krejci has played through two different scoring eras. It is not exactly fair to compare 70pts when 70pts was 25th in scoring to 70pts when 70pts was 10th in scoring for example.

His 13-14 season for example was better than his 08-09 when you account for league being lower scoring.

Effectively if the NHL was scoring at a rate of 6.00 PPG Krejci would have got 70pts/82 games over his prime.

From 08-09 to 2015-16 he was the 17th most productive NHL center on a game by game basis and 18th most points overall by an NHL center in that span... while being very good defensively. There is a legitimate argument to be made that he was a top 15 center in the NHL over an 8 season period.

:handclap:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

I mean over that timespan who was for sure better overall?

Crosby
Malkin
Datsyuk
H. Sedin
Zetterberg
Giroux
Getzlaf
Backstrom
Kopitar
Toews
Stamkos
Thornton
Tavares
Bergeron

That is 14 guys...

Then...

Carter? Close.
Koivu? Close.
Spezza? Not for me over that span.
E. Staal? Nope.
Kesler? Nope.
Stastny? Nope.

I mean, his PPG finishes amongst full-time centers over those years were by my count:

16th, 35th, 23rd, 22nd, 24th, 13th, 34th, 11th

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I mean over that timespan who was for sure better overall?

Crosby
Malkin
Datsyuk
H. Sedin
Zetterberg
Giroux
Getzlaf
Backstrom
Kopitar
Toews
Stamkos
Thornton
Tavares
Bergeron

That is 14 guys...

Then...

Carter? Close.
Koivu? Close.
Spezza? Not for me over that span.
E. Staal? Nope.
Kesler? Nope.
Stastny? Nope.

I mean, his PPG finishes amongst full-time centers over those years were by my count:

16th, 35th, 23rd, 22nd, 24th, 13th, 34th, 11th

Didn't realize when you gave Krejci's point totals from 22-29 you had adjusted it for different eras; I thought you were only making an adjustment to what Patrick would have to score to roughly equate Krejci's ppg.

Anyway, on your center list,
I rank Carter, Spezza, Staal and Kesler over Krejci. Koivu could go either way. You leave out Patrick Marleau, who I think certainly ranks above Krejci in that span, and Brad Richards and Joe Pavelski I probably rank over Krejci, too, for most of it (but not all). So I guess I'd have Krejci hovering somewhere in the 20s. But the list also leaves out guys like Seguin who didn't play every season during that entire span but is a better player than Krejci for most of it.

Again, as I said all along, Krejci is a really nice player; that's not under dispute. I just think of him as more the underrated 2nd fiddle than the horse you ride, and if Patrick isn't a horse I'll be a little disappointed.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Didn't realize when you gave Krejci's point totals from 22-29 you had adjusted it for different eras; I thought you were only making an adjustment to what Patrick would have to score to roughly equate Krejci's ppg.

Anyway, on your center list,
I rank Carter, Spezza, Staal and Kesler over Krejci. Koivu could go either way. You leave out Patrick Marleau, who I think certainly ranks above Krejci in that span, and Brad Richards and Joe Pavelski I probably rank over Krejci, too, for most of it (but not all). So I guess I'd have Krejci hovering somewhere in the 20s. But the list also leaves out guys like Seguin who didn't play every season during that entire span but is a better player than Krejci for most of it.

Again, as I said all along, Krejci is a really nice player; that's not under dispute. I just think of him as more the underrated 2nd fiddle than the horse you ride, and if Patrick isn't a horse I'll be a little disappointed.

I left out Marleau and Pavelski because they are wingers in effect. Marleau has not played a single year at C over that span and Pavelski ~played 2.

And Brad Richards? Produced less and is worse defensively over that span. There were maybe 2 years of those 8 that Richards was better than Krejci.

And Seguin... now he is, but 13-14 was first season he was better, over the whole timespan it would be Krejci.

I cannot logically see him below ~20 over that span.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad