Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 2: Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
He's not most players though. He was the oldest kid in his class and already played 2 seasons of junior prior to his draft year (where he made a ~40% jump from year 1 to year 2).

As for Brandon being terrible, .500 is misleading. They were 31-41 if you include OTL which was good for a 15 out of 22 finish. This is something I wrote back in May, regarding his supporting cast:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=131811635&highlight=rel#post131811635

They were respectable in large part because of Patrick.

5v5 GF% w/ Patrick on the ice: 61.02%
5v5 GF% w/o Patrick on the ice: 41.96%

No one really puts up 130 points in the Dub anymore. Steel and Brooks did it this year but they were feeding off of each other and Regina was one of the more dominant offensive teams the WHL has seen in years. To put up those kinds of numbers you need some help. We can point to Patrick not being 100%, but Brandon not being a good team probably had more to do with Patrick's production than anything. At the same time, you could also say his production at 16 and 17 was inflated a bit by playing on those powerhouse teams Brandon had.

I don't doubt he wasn't 100% last year, but I would still temper expectations a bit. He's a good player and he's going to help the Flyers, but even pre-injury he wasn't a can't miss prospect.

I like you.:popcorn:
This is how I feel.

Patrick feels like a special player. Barring a setback with his injuries I don't see why the league won't be talking about him all season long. Good things can actually happen to us.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Patrick is one of the most under rated #2 picks I have ever seen......For a kid who did what he did in the WHL....those few injuries clouded everything about him in the eyes of a lot of people.

I guess when he scores 30+ people will think otherwise. (Not saying he is going to do that rookie year)....but I see him being a 30-30 or 30-40 type guy....he is special.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he's a 30-30 guy like Jeff Carter, except he only plays center and isn't as fast, then that would be fine by me.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's hard to project because he had that solid season when he turned 17 in September, capped off with a playoff performance that matched his regular season output (i.e. just as productive against better competition and higher intensity play). Last year is a wash due to injuries.

You're not going to get a big jump b/c he's older and already developed (i.e. almost a year ahead chronologically of Frost, and maybe 2-3 years in terms of physical maturity) - but then again, he doesn't need to make a big jump in any area to project as a 30-30 center with plus defense, and maybe more scoring if he becomes a fixture on the 1st PP.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I would love to see him on pp 1 in schenns spot this year. I think he already likely has the best wrist shot on the offense but that's not really saying much.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I would love to see him on pp 1 in schenns spot this year. I think he already likely has the best wrist shot on the offense but that's not really saying much.

I think that would underutilize his playmaking potential. I want him in a QB-esque role.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The best thing going forward into the season for both Patrick and the Flyers is that NP can be eased into League play. He can slip into 3C and just play his game to see how he fits into the game. No pressure on him at all. Recently top drafted guys get put into situations where expectations exceed reality. I look for an increase in his play as the season goes on. Come PO time, he should be a force.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I think that would underutilize his playmaking potential. I want him in a QB-esque role.

I just think we have enough playmakers on the team at the moment but are in desperate need of someone who can shoot the puck with some kind of power and accuracy like Patrick does. I think I would rather utilize his shot on the powerplay than his playmaking ability at least this year. it is definitely possibly to do both and in the future I think we will see him in that qb esque role where he can shoot or pass and the opposition will need to defend both. the team just has desperately been lacking someone with a hard accurate shot since Carter's departure so I would like to see Patrick have every ability to let it rip and cash in on the plays set up by our playmakers in his rookie season. that also eases him into a powerplay role as opposed to being the qb right off the bat on pp2. either way I'm looking forward to what Patrick is going to bring to the powerplay this year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The best thing going forward into the season for both Patrick and the Flyers is that NP can be eased into League play. He can slip into 3C and just play his game to see how he fits into the game. No pressure on him at all. Recently top drafted guys get put into situations where expectations exceed reality. I look for an increase in his play as the season goes on. Come PO time, he should be a force.

I don't see that to be the case. There's no need to "ease him in" if he can play. I agree that you don't force it. If he is not capable of playing big minutes, then don't give them to him. But if he is, you don't just put him at 3C because he's a rookie. In recent years top drafted guys have played top minutes because they have been capable. I'm not sure of any players that were forced into anything (certainly not saying it didn't happen, but the youth movement in the NHL has been pretty prevalent in recent years). If Patrick comes in and plays well enough to center the second line and play a scoring role, do it. If he doesn't, put him where he fits. I'm hyped up on Patrick so I'm fine penciling him in somewhere in the middle six, but I think he can play that second line role out of the gate which helps because it puts Couturier back where he is most valuable in the shutdown role, maybe playing with Weise and Filp?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just think we have enough playmakers on the team at the moment but are in desperate need of someone who can shoot the puck with some kind of power and accuracy like Patrick does. I think I would rather utilize his shot on the powerplay than his playmaking ability at least this year. it is definitely possibly to do both and in the future I think we will see him in that qb esque role where he can shoot or pass and the opposition will need to defend both. the team just has desperately been lacking someone with a hard accurate shot since Carter's departure so I would like to see Patrick have every ability to let it rip and cash in on the plays set up by our playmakers in his rookie season. that also eases him into a powerplay role as opposed to being the qb right off the bat on pp2. either way I'm looking forward to what Patrick is going to bring to the powerplay this year.

Lindblom could also fill that role on PP1 and allow Patrick to ease into PP2 in a Playmaker role.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
As long as Giroux is here, a RH shot in the slot won't really be effective. He definitely wouldn't be in a position to use his shot there.

With a healthy Simmonds and Giroux, the only spot Patrick could really take would be Voracek's. I'm not one of those guys begging to get Jake off the top PP, but since he's not really a threat for a one-timer anyway the handedness probably wouldn't matter all that much. From what I noticed Toronto used Marner and Nylander in a similar way last year.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
As long as Giroux is here, a RH shot in the slot won't really be effective. He definitely wouldn't be in a position to use his shot there.

With a healthy Simmonds and Giroux, the only spot Patrick could really take would be Voracek's. I'm not one of those guys begging to get Jake off the top PP, but since he's not really a threat for a one-timer anyway the handedness probably wouldn't matter all that much. From what I noticed Toronto used Marner and Nylander in a similar way last year.

I think 68 would look great in the slot and have Sanheim, Kony, Lindblom, Provy and Patrick have some fun on second unit without feeling the pressure to produce.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I don't see that to be the case. There's no need to "ease him in" if he can play. I agree that you don't force it. If he is not capable of playing big minutes, then don't give them to him. But if he is, you don't just put him at 3C because he's a rookie. In recent years top drafted guys have played top minutes because they have been capable. I'm not sure of any players that were forced into anything (certainly not saying it didn't happen, but the youth movement in the NHL has been pretty prevalent in recent years). If Patrick comes in and plays well enough to center the second line and play a scoring role, do it. If he doesn't, put him where he fits. I'm hyped up on Patrick so I'm fine penciling him in somewhere in the middle six, but I think he can play that second line role out of the gate which helps because it puts Couturier back where he is most valuable in the shutdown role, maybe playing with Weise and Filp?
Lets not get over our skis with NP. If Patrick, at this time, is a better center than G or Coots, the Flyers are in worse shape than anyone believes. Keep the expectations for NP in check with reality.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If they want to keep the same kind of PP scheme they had with Schenn, I think that might be a bit of a problem as we have a TON of right shooting goal scorers right now. The only person I can think of is Lindblom, but I think he would be better in Simmond's spot on the 2nd PP unit. Could always go with two offensive D-men instead.

Simmonds-Giroux-Voracek
Sanheim-Ghost

Lindblom-Patrick-Konecny
Provy-xxxx

Something like that? I don't know what would work well right now. I feel like I'm missing someone.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think 68 would look great in the slot and have Sanheim, Kony, Lindblom, Provy and Patrick have some fun on second unit without feeling the pressure to produce.

Idk about the 68 part, but yeah I would have Patrick on the 2nd unit this year. That would be fun. I was just thinking of a way to get him on the 1st unit if they were hell-bent on doing it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lets not get over our skis with NP. If Patrick, at this time, is a better center than G or Coots, the Flyers are in worse shape than anyone believes. Keep the expectations for NP in check with reality.

By the end of the season Patrick should be our #1 C, he's more physical than Giroux and has a better offensive tool kit than Couts. Doesn't mean he'll be on the first line, but I think with the depth in the front 9, the 3 lines will be pretty equal, and even the "checking" fourth line will be able to hold its own.

Nothing wrong with 3 solid centers instead of a superstar and the "7 dwarves." However, you can see why they drafted Frost, with Rubtsov, he'll give the Flyers the speed these three lack down the middle.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I'm not saying he is necessarily a better center than Couturier (and certainly not Giroux...I didn't even mention Giroux or suggest that Patrick should be on the top line). But I do think that Patrick could produce more than Couturier out of the gate and that Couturier on the third line helps the team more than Couturier on the second line. Patrick was the #2 pick in the draft and he's been a known commodity for a while. I don't expect him to come in and score 40 goals like Matthews or Laine or compete for an MVP like McDavid, but thinking he can be a #2 center on this team is not out of line.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Who does he replace though? I'm not sure he's got the ability any more but it would be fun to see him back in O&B. I just don't think there's room and I'd be hesitant due to his ancient status. That being said, he's kind of like a "don't bet against him until he fails" kind of guy. He put up over 45 points last season and that's not bad production. Not sure he does much better than that this season but 45 points is a solid get.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I'm not saying he is necessarily a better center than Couturier (and certainly not Giroux...I didn't even mention Giroux or suggest that Patrick should be on the top line). But I do think that Patrick could produce more than Couturier out of the gate and that Couturier on the third line helps the team more than Couturier on the second line. Patrick was the #2 pick in the draft and he's been a known commodity for a while. I don't expect him to come in and score 40 goals like Matthews or Laine or compete for an MVP like McDavid, but thinking he can be a #2 center on this team is not out of line.

He may not be better than Couturier out of the gate or even at the end of the season, but yes, it would e beneficial for the flyers to put him as 2C. Couturier hasn't produced well offensively to be a 2C and is an amazing shutdown center. Putting Patrick in the defensive/shutdown role wouldn't play to his strengths. Plus having linemates such as Simmonds and whoever the LW is would benefit Patrick even more.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This #1, #2, #3 C stuff is not really applicable to our team.

Giroux faces top defenses and shutdown lines.
Couts faces top lines and out produces them.

Patrick needs to come in and will get secondary defenses, non shutdown lines, and non top lines. His line has to exploit the matchups he will be given. If he doesn't teams will then have to choose between Patrick and Giroux on who to give the hardest matchups, leaving the other an easier one. We must win that matchup.

Couts was our top goal scoring and point getting C 5vs 5 last year. Giroux needs to bounce back.

With these 3 centers as well as a much improved 4th line, we should be winning 3 out of 4 line matchups on a nightly basis on average.

Patrick will be used in a scoring role. He just needs to deliver on it.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Because G is as good as he is, he is the top line center for now and probably the next few seasons barring another injury. Couturier is the next center in line. People got to see what he can do over the last half the last season when he has scorers with him. His offensive play is often under appreciated. Putting Patrick on the third line for this season is a good thing for the team and Patrick. It puts him in a position where he won't be exposed to the opponents better defensive players. In a few seasons, that shouldn't matter but for a rookie, it would help him with development. I firmly believe that Patrick is going to be a major player in the League. However he doesn't need to be put into situations where he feels pressure to do more than is expected.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This will never end.

This can't be seen or mentioned enough.

The only area where he is not a top C 6 is on our 2nd PP unit....where he was 2nd in F scoring this year for that unit. The whole unit sucked.

That's why I want Lindblom plugged into the top unit so that unit doesn't change much. But adding Patrick to the 2nd unit AND properly planning, practice, etc... can hopefully allow that young unit to grow together and get better over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad