Series Talk: Round 1 | Colorado Avalanche (1) vs. Nashville Predators (8)

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
1st seed vs. 8th seed. We know how this has gone in the past.

Only half-kidding. Hoping we put up a good fight!

preds avs.jpeg

Reactions: SouthNash

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
It's impossible to know how this series will go because of goaltending and I'm sure the money is being put on the Avs in 5. The only hope that Preds fans have is that the Preds goaltending is at least adequate and the team can physically dominate an Avs team that hasn't played well down the stretch to control the series.

Reactions: SouthNash

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The boys need to put together one damned good road game this week. Build on what we did in Colorado just a few days ago and maybe steal one. The odds are against the Preds taking the series but now we get to see if the physical style of play can pay off against a team with a much different style.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
All the pressure is on Colorado. They've been pacing the conference all season, they're the ones who are expected to go all the way, they have a great roster who has performed up to this point. But this is a team that hasn't been beyond the second round since 2002. They are the ones who have to prove that they can get it done when it actually counts.

The Predators have nothing to lose, most outlets and fans predicted them to finish in the bottom 5-10 of the league. This team has the physical playoff style roster, they have players at ever key position that have gone the distance in the playoffs (if we count Saros). Coming out and punching the Avs in the mouth on Tuesday would really set the tone and be the key to pulling off the shocker. Gaining that confidence boost and planting seeds of doubt in their minds could be the big equalizer.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I would just try to trap the neutral zone and try to frustrate them. Clog it up and force them to outside where you can grind them near the boards.

We need Rittich to see a lot of action for him to get hot, and we know that the Avs' system opens up for odd-man rushes and counterattacks.

We obviously need our special teams to shine all series and hope that Kuemper is not on his game.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Like most others, I have almost zero expectations going into this.

Was thinking about it- when was the last time we were in this position going into a playoff series? Where everyone, including our own fans, think we have basically zero chance. It has been a long time. I know many will point to the 2017 cup run year and the first round against Chicago. But for me, even that series wasn't like this one. That Hawks team was a very good team, but they were a 109 point team and not as good as this Avs team. And though we didn't know it at the time, that Hawks team was just about to fall off a cliff- though no one knew it they were ripe for the picking and we finished off their long run as a contender. That certainly is not the case with this Avs team. This would be like facing the Blackhawks in 2009 or 2010.

But even if you think that Hawks series was one of them, other than that one it has been A LONG time since we have been this big of an underdog.

But for me, my expectations are low- at worst I want the series to be 2-1 Avs going into game 4 on Monday. Give us a chance to win one home game to make it a 2-2 series and put some big time pressure on them the final 3 games.

And if we can do that- down 2-1 after 3 games- I will take a win in any of the first 3 games, but since I am spending big bucks and making the trip up for game 3 Saturday, I would not complain about seeing a win in front of our crowd on Saturday.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I would just try to trap the neutral zone and try to frustrate them. Clog it up and force them to outside where you can grind them near the boards.

We need Rittich to see a lot of action for him to get hot, and we know that the Avs' system opens up for odd-man rushes and counterattacks.

We obviously need our special teams to shine all series and hope that Kuemper is not on his game.
The Preds do employ a trap (as do almost all teams) when the opponent has clear possession of the puck and are attempting a break out. Outside of that they are a hard forechecking team that uses the dump and chase to basically beat the other team into submission where they don't even try to retrieve pucks. The amount of giveaways or puck battles won by the Preds when they get effective dump ins that allow the forecheckers to get into the zone with speed will probably determine their success in this series. Playing an archaic passive dump and trap system will surely be a recipe for disaster this post season.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah my realistic hopes are that we can make them truly earn their way out of this series like we did with Canes last year or they did to us in 17-18. Although all it takes is a win in one of these first two road games and its a whole different series.

I wonder when they will announce goalie starter and officially say Saros's status.

Reactions: predfan24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I will try to rewind my brain to September 2021. It will be nice if we have a good showing. Just like it was going to be nice if we had a fun season and competed for a playoff spot.

But at this point, it can't be any huge surprise if things don't turn out in our favor. Oh well - even if things do go as badly as possible it was still a great step forward for the team and the youngsters overall. Sometimes you take a huge step forward at once, and then have to take a little one backwards just to regain your footing for the next step forward. Fair enough.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Well if it goes totally south like everyone is predicting folks can go get good and baked after Game 5 in Colorado before catching the flight home

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I mean, this team is better than last years team, and that team was a few bounces and overtime wins from beating Carolina. I mean both Colorado and Nashville have been struggling heading down the stretch so who knows. If Rittich is servicable and somehow the team realizes its the Playoffs, we could shock some people

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I mean, this team is better than last years team, and that team was a few bounces and overtime wins from beating Carolina. I mean both Colorado and Nashville have been struggling heading down the stretch so who knows. If Rittich is servicable and somehow the team realizes its the Playoffs, we could shock some people
Is it better than last year's team?? I am not so sure about that. Last year we were about a 110 point pace team in 2nd half and were red hot down the stretch and played Carolina off their tails in the playoffs.

This year?? Definitely not red hot down the stretch

On paper this team should be better than last year's but certainly did not close the year anywhere close to last year's team.

But having said all of that- history has shown over and over that how you play down the stretch has very little if any effect on the playoffs, so hopefully that will be the case with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad