Series Discussion: Round 1 (Caps vs Isles) 2015 Playoffs

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am not superstitious. But its true we have never gone that route. As this blowing playoff leads has been going on since the 1980s lets try something new.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I vote for no GDT. It will be nothing but a day long durge of doom anyway. Lets skip it.

Its the one thing we have never tried. No GDT. If they lose the post game thread will be great. If, they win, new tradition.

I also vote for you skipping the GDT, let's start a new tradition!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
At first I was like neh, then I realized I might actually get to WATCH AND ENJOY THE GAME FOR ONCE.

I'm in favor.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
As far as Game 7, lots of people have commented on Ovi, but to me it hinges on whether the bottom 6 guys can at least match the Isles' output. Top lines need to get some shifts against softened or at least turtled opponents.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I thought mods exist to provide selfless thankless service? :)

Sort of.

We're actually robots based on old Nazi blueprints that are deployed solely to harsh buzzes and enforce unnecessary rules that deprive the world of vital, scorching hot takes from 13 year olds posing as adults and adults acting like 13 year olds.

We're hiring, btw.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Sort of.

We're actually robots based on old Nazi blueprints that are deployed solely to harsh buzzes and enforce unnecessary rules that deprive the world of vital, scorching hot takes from 13 year olds posing as adults and adults acting like 13 year olds.

We're hiring, btw.

That is gold. :thumb:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
It's a series. There are ebbs and flows. We did not win the series when we won Game 5 and we did not lose it when we lost Game 6, even though that's what it felt like. We get to dictate matchups in Game 7 and thAt should be a problem for a depleted Isles D and for an Isles team that hasn't gotten much out of either their 2nd or 3rd lines.

We cannot have Ovie run around uncontrollably like he did in our last Game 7. He needs to be smart AND energetic - not just energetic. I think the team gets a little out of sorts when Ovie gets into that running around hitting anything that moves mode. In other words, I think we can win, but some coaching is in order here.

DCorNothing

Apr 24, 2015
Northern Virginia
It's a series. There are ebbs and flows. We did not win the series when we won Game 5 and we did not lose it when we lost Game 6, even though that's what it felt like. We get to dictate matchups in Game 7 and thAt should be a problem for a depleted Isles D and for an Isles team that hasn't gotten much out of either their 2nd or 3rd lines.

We cannot have Ovie run around uncontrollably like he did in our last Game 7. He needs to be smart AND energetic - not just energetic. I think the team gets a little out of sorts when Ovie gets into that running around hitting anything that moves mode. In other words, I think we can win, but some coaching is in order here.

Good news is we have the best coach in franchise history on our side.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We cannot have Ovie run around uncontrollably like he did in our last Game 7.... .

Great post, and good memory. I forgot that ovi was basically on tilt... I think he had like 10 or 12 hits fairly early in the game.

It would be nice if he led us to victory. Dare I think if a cup is in the works for us this year, he is going to have a big hand in it. Its high time for Trotz to win a game 7 himself. I think Fred will shorted his bench and really limit the greenhorns on D TOI. If he does, we need to POUND the top 4. And more than just Wilson and Ovi.

I was planning on doing my inept GDT. If consensus is we can't have one, just delete it. Rest assured many will be created. Or, someone can do a proper GDT. That would be different.

What wont be different... end of 1, 1-0, end of 2, 1-1....

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Great post, and good memory. I forgot that ovi was basically on tilt... I think he had like 10 or 12 hits fairly early in the game.

It would be nice if he led us to victory. Dare I think if a cup is in the works for us this year, he is going to have a big hand in it. Its high time for Trotz to win a game 7 himself. I think Fred will shorted his bench and really limit the greenhorns on D TOI. If he does, we need to POUND the top 4. And more than just Wilson and Ovi.

I was planning on doing my inept GDT. If consensus is we can't have one, just delete it. Rest assured many will be created. Or, someone can do a proper GDT. That would be different.

What wont be different... end of 1, 1-0, end of 2, 1-1....

GDT material lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5bqMDGWXO8

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The Tinner's Take:

Guys I've gone the route of my boy Usiel. Indifference. Had my friend over for Game 1 and was pumped that this year would be different...we laid an egg. Its just the Caps...its our fate as Caps fans. I needed to stay away for my mental health so been trying not to watch the games and stay away for the first time in my life. I figured if we make it past the first round I'd be ok again.

Now here we are...another game 7.

I'm more positive than most here but I know the truth. The hockey Gods hate the Caps. I put our chances of victory at about 17%.

It has nothing to do with our players. Our coach. Troy Brouwer. Ovechkin. Our GM. Our owner. Our style of play. I've seen so many iterations of this story it matters not. It is what it is.

I am expecting the worst and hoping for the best at this point. I am going to watch game 7 with my buddy and donning my Ovechkin jersey. I'll be watching it as a Captain knowing he is going to go down with his sinking ship. Its the honorable thing to do despite my better judgment heh

One thing I know is that I'll be back next year, just like all of you. Caps fans are like Rocky Balboa. We keep getting knocked down but can't help but getting back up. It sucks but its our lot in life.

So my message to you is to hope for the best but expect the hockey Gods to screw us. Whether we don't show up, the refs spank us, random hot goalie, bad bounces...whatever. If we sink we will go down as one. Greenie, Rids, Brouwer, Brooklyn, Goon, Joehansen, TX, RH, Milhaus, Chibi, Ovie etc...all of us are one.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
So we are the only one who went to the 7 game. I don't know why I voted that the series would be done in 6. You don't need a fortune teller to know it would be 7 games. I'm pessimistic this year, so that's the difference from the previous years, hopefully the outcome will be different also.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
right through the series, i have looked forward to every game with excitement ... even when we were down 2-1

now I feel like I'm on death row, the excitement is gone, i am resigned to our fate

even if somehow by miracle we do find a game 7 win, the Rags are waiting while we are still being beat up

my confidence moving forward is non-existent

:shakehead

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Every caps game is like a kinder surprise, you never know what team you're going to get until you crack it open.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Tinner's Take:

Guys I've gone the route of my boy Usiel. Indifference. Had my friend over for Game 1 and was pumped that this year would be different...we laid an egg. Its just the Caps...its our fate as Caps fans. I needed to stay away for my mental health so been trying not to watch the games and stay away for the first time in my life. I figured if we make it past the first round I'd be ok again.

Now here we are...another game 7.

I'm more positive than most here but I know the truth. The hockey Gods hate the Caps. I put our chances of victory at about 17%.

It has nothing to do with our players. Our coach. Troy Brouwer. Ovechkin. Our GM. Our owner. Our style of play. I've seen so many iterations of this story it matters not. It is what it is.

I am expecting the worst and hoping for the best at this point. I am going to watch game 7 with my buddy and donning my Ovechkin jersey. I'll be watching it as a Captain knowing he is going to go down with his sinking ship. Its the honorable thing to do despite my better judgment heh

One thing I know is that I'll be back next year, just like all of you. Caps fans are like Rocky Balboa. We keep getting knocked down but can't help but getting back up. It sucks but its our lot in life.

So my message to you is to hope for the best but expect the hockey Gods to screw us. Whether we don't show up, the refs spank us, random hot goalie, bad bounces...whatever. If we sink we will go down as one. Greenie, Rids, Brouwer, Brooklyn, Goon, Joehansen, TX, RH, Milhaus, Chibi, Ovie etc...all of us are one.

That is so depressing to read :cry:
Us Caps fans are masochistic. Despite the failures, we keep coming back. We know this team will choke at some point, yet we will still be in the stands of Verizon Centre, or Bell Centre in my case, cheering on the Caps.

Hockey gods hate us. Being a Caps fan is a punishment at times.
I swear, in the dark days of Adam Oates and GMGM, I was secretly hoping for Ovi and Backstrom to be traded to a place where they could enjoy the success that they deserve.

That being said, let's go Caps and rock the red !

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I was 2-0 with the Full Sail Pilsener. Drank 1 in the 1st period of Game 6, and then horrifyingly discovered that there were no more left. So it's my fault we lost.

I am well stocked with it for tomorrow.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I dunno, this year is like a major uptick after the post-Boudreau dark ages.

The future looks pretty good. Any playoff success this year would be a bonus.

Not bad!

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Home ice advantage is huge in this series. If game 7 were at the Coliseum, we'd have no chance of winning this one. Isles fans are doing a good job at being irritating, loud and obnoxious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad