OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
@DJ Spinoza

Any thoughts on Bart? I feel he's a bright spot lately

We should be able to go 4-2 at worst with the Bay Area teams. And same on the home stretch.

If they are merely .500 it would be a disappointment

Reactions: td_ice

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, that's a good call on Bart. He deserves mentioning as well as a recent bright spot, even if the looks we've seen from Davis this season are maybe the most disappointing thing of anything.

I'm not fully sold out on him, but I basically don't see how he's not the 1A catcher until he shows otherwise. Davis needs a reset in AAA, and when Grandal comes up, I think we need to see something from him before any reigns are fully turned over.

I agree with 4-2 on the road trip. It's hard to say that we should for sure sweep a team because that's just not how it works, but we should have that possibility in our back pocket against a pretty weak Oakland team. That said, they have some nasty bullpen arms, so if it's tied or close late, it's easy to see how a loss happens.

I also wonder if we'll turn to some kind of 6-man rotation. I'm not sure how we'd make it work but that would be one way to conserve innings for both Jones and Skenes. I don't think we quite have the depth for it, but with guys like Fleming, Priester, Ortiz and a few up/down relievers, it could be feasible. LA has basically done this for years.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Bart is on a hot streak; his mlb numbers are marginally better than Davis so this is well outside his norm, but might as well ride the hot hand. It isn't as if Davis had a long time in AAA so him going back down isn't the end of the world.

Reactions: sovietsanta87

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think Gonzales, Bae, and Grandal should come up. Actually, add Lamb to that list.

Send down Roansy, Davis, and Triolo for now. Dump Tellez.

Also, live look at Mitch Keller:

1714142396522.png

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Might be facing a tough Giants pitcher in Harrison

You know Priester is gonna be sketch, if we continue to struggle hitting, it's gonna be a long night

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Those Priester minor league splits vs his various pitches makes me wonder if this is a Gerrit Cole situation.

Why is he throwing the 2 seam the most if it is his worst pitch and his 4 seam is his best yet rarely used?

Cruz has 0 confidence against lefties. Southpaws are throwing him center cut fastballs in 2 strike counts because he is so scared of the breaking ball that it freezes him.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I really don't know how much longer you can keep sending Davis out there. It's not like he's anything more than passable defensively and he is just plain and simple overmatched with no signs that he's breaking out of it. The only real explanation for him being on the team still is that Grandal isn't quite done rehabbing or getting up to speed yet.

Reactions: td_ice

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I really don't know how much longer you can keep sending Davis out there. It's not like he's anything more than passable defensively and he is just plain and simple overmatched with no signs that he's breaking out of it. The only real explanation for him being on the team still is that Grandal isn't quite done rehabbing or getting up to speed yet.
I'm about to add Cruz to the DFA list

He needs to learn how to hit again, f***ing hell with the Ks man

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Team was doing all sorts of two out hits in the first 5 games

Now they can't do shit about pushing runners around the diamond

Sickening to watch two on or bases loaded opportunities just die on the vine

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Chapman is also brutal again, my lord

Cruz good time to get a single

Taylor even better.. First hit in like 11 ABs

Shelton pinch hits tellez for davis... Shit for shit

Glad we are blowing through our bullpen just so we can load the bases in the 9th with one out and get NOTHING

If SF loses this game, i just.. I can't imagine they do...

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Can't really see the decision to go to Tellez over Bart. Bart at least should be able to put the ball in play.

Tellez + Cutch Ks feels so predictable. Get Tellez off this f***ing team.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
There's really no point in following this anymore. It's a middling team whose band of wins is going to be determined by whether or not there are some hot streaks. The low end is probably 70-72 wins, the high end is something like 78-80, which won't be enough to matter.

Reynolds is legitimately not a good option. He's a decent enough player, but it accentuates the fact that the team simply is not good enough. His peak season is behind him, and you aren't winning if a fine 2.5-3 WAR corner OF is your best offensive player.

Tellez is at the point of singlehandedly costing the team games. You can point to multiple other things, but he had the pivotal error yesterday and now comes up with a pathetic AB in the clutch. There's no justification for sending him out there in that moment other than that the team is bad. Bart's in the game now anyways and he would have at least put the ball in play and made a fielder make a play.

Bednar with the leadoff walk. Can't believe I spent all this time watching a movie I've seen 100 times before. At least it moved pretty quickly.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
This was the most painful loss of the year so far. The win was gifted on a platter like four times

What in the world, can someone get these dudes an industrial tub of smelling salts so they can focus the hell up

Was a fun start to 2024

Absolute dogshit

f***ing stupid ass Shelton decisions. Dumb ass thinking we were up by 3 from the 5th or something

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad