WC: Roster Talk '12 — Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I see two problems:

Our defense might be many smaller, playing players. Karlsson, Enström, Johansson, Ekman-Larsson etc. And a few bigger players that have unfullfilled potential when it comes to shutting down (defense). Ekholm, Kronwall S, Larsson etc.

What might be a solution to this industrialized world problem is that we might get players this time that we didn't have the last few years. I'm thinking Viktor Hedman, Niklas Hjalmarsson and Henrik Tallinder. All those are needed for a chance to win. Every country will be stronger this year than the last. Stanley Cup, second round ends 10th of may.

The second problem is that we could go for a team that has strong players at (almost) every position. But which players will we chose that could grow into real good ones as the tournament goes on? Järnkrok is a strong candidate.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
jfc64

Jimmie Ericsson on checkingline? Why? He is old and soft. Fast young powerforward like Zibanejad would be much better option.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
Heija Swedes.

Is there still lots of refusals when Swede hockey players are asked to join? I know (from Finnish media) that you guys have had that problem before. Of course every nation has some but there was this one year few years back that almost every NHL Swede refused to join the team. ( I can't remember the year.)

Another question; Are the Red Wings players underrated in Sweden because of the fact that they don't usually if ever play in WC? It's the case with Filppula and I know it was the case with Datsyuk with Russians before Olympics.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Heija Swedes.

Is there still lots of refusals when Swede hockey players are asked to join? I know (from Finnish media) that you guys have had that problem before. Of course every nation has some but there was this one year few years back that almost every NHL Swede refused to join the team. ( I can't remember the year.)

Another question; Are the Red Wings players underrated in Sweden because of the fact that they don't usually if ever play in WC? It's the case with Filppula and I know it was the case with Datsyuk with Russians before Olympics.

I think that the refusals has changed a bit now. the new staff is much more active in its contacts with NHL players, while BÃ…G basically didn't give a **** and had to reap his reward of lukewarm players.

I do not know for sure about Detroit players, but certainly it is true to a certain extent. I would say that most Swedes hold Forsberg as a better player than Lidström (I actually do, but that is another story), just because Forsberg did tear it up in SEL before going to NHL; the Lillehammer gold did contribute a tad bit too of course.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
jfc64

Jimmie Ericsson on checkingline? Why? He is old and soft. Fast young powerforward like Zibanejad would be much better option.

Ericsson is proven (last WC) and he has an even better season now. Soft? Together with Landeskog and Lundqvist they will provide lot of things necessary on a fourth line that will fill a role on a team. I wonder how soon Zibby will be ready for senior hockey at this level, though. Might be real soon.

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
St Louis is looking good for the playoffs this year, so I wouldn't count on steen or berglund. As for the reason North Americans don't care, SC plus Americans don't really care about WC only olympics, and while in Canada we'll cheer for them and watch, there are no expectations because our top players are generally still tied up in the playoffs, much more so then any european nation, it's the reason we ignore the world rankings, sure we lost in the quarters, but it was a young talented team we wanted to get experience on the international stage, against a Russian team that really wanted to win. it was the same in 2010 wc

The new format is weird this year is it actually 7 games in the rr, then quarters semis and finals, all in 16 days, that seems fast

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I wonder how soon Zibby will be ready for senior hockey at this level, though. Might be real soon.

His coach in Ottawa wanted to keep him for the season and had to be convinced it was best for him. Offensively it was, defensively the coach had no problem putting him out against anyone. Being his size and skating as well as he does...he can play at this level now.

The question is do you have better players for the role.

Another thing worthy of consideration...the relationship between Karlsson and Alfredsson is a meaningful one, IF they ever want to play for the country together...they'd be wise to do it this season. Alfie's healthier this year than he's been in years.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
St Louis is looking good for the playoffs this year, so I wouldn't count on steen or berglund. As for the reason North Americans don't care, SC plus Americans don't really care about WC only olympics, and while in Canada we'll cheer for them and watch, there are no expectations because our top players are generally still tied up in the playoffs, much more so then any european nation, it's the reason we ignore the world rankings, sure we lost in the quarters, but it was a young talented team we wanted to get experience on the international stage, against a Russian team that really wanted to win. it was the same in 2010 wc

The new format is weird this year is it actually 7 games in the rr, then quarters semis and finals, all in 16 days, that seems fast

World Champs starts a tad later this year though, playoffs is not enough to "miss it" you have to win a series aswell.

And the best Swedish players are always in the playoffs, too. Detroit and Vancouver, you know.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Ericsson is proven (last WC) and he has an even better season now. Soft? Together with Landeskog and Lundqvist they will provide lot of things necessary on a fourth line that will fill a role on a team. I wonder how soon Zibby will be ready for senior hockey at this level, though. Might be real soon.

Jimmie Ericsson is not very physical. Much rather see guys like Larsson, Zibanejad, Jämtin, Pettersson, Sjögren, Sjöström in his place. Zibanejad (and Larsson) i think are ready for WC. Atleast on Fourth line..

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
In hockey talk show "Late Night Elite" has expert Niklas Wikegård every week taken out a new player who he thinks deserves a place in the Tre Kronor World Cup squad this spring.

So far he has picked out 6 players.

Jimmie Ericsson

Viktor Fasth

Joel Lundqvist

Jakob Silfverberg

Calle Järnkrok

Andreas Jämtin

Last edited:

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Don't think that Järnkrok would contribute much in a bottom-line role. He's not ready to be a top-2 line player.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Is roster 25 players?

Eriksson Bäckström Alfredsson / Hörnqvist
Steen MÃ¥rtensson Weinhandl
Thörnberg Järnkrok Silfverberg
Andersson Lundqvist Ericsson
Söderberg

Karlsson Enström
Ekman-Larsson Hedman
Tallinder Larsson
Hjalmarsson Kronwall S
Ekholm

Enroth Fasth Gustavsson Lindbäck

Systemfel

Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
I really hope that Sjögren doesn't make it. He's just so meh, not really good in any particular area. I don't know why he's getting to play with Järnkrok and Silfverberg at the Oddset Games.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Is roster 25 players?

Eriksson Bäckström Alfredsson / Hörnqvist
Steen MÃ¥rtensson Weinhandl
Thörnberg Järnkrok Silfverberg
Andersson Lundqvist Ericsson
Söderberg

Karlsson Enström
Ekman-Larsson Hedman
Tallinder Larsson
Hjalmarsson Kronwall S
Ekholm

Enroth Fasth Gustavsson Lindbäck

Team to Czech hockey games.

Thörnberg - Persson - J Ericsson
Larsson - Järnkrok - Silfverberg
Zibanejad - Söderberg - Danielsson
Jämtin - Lundqvist - Pettersson

Kronwall - Ekholm
Bäckman - Wallin
Frögren - Brodin

Fasth
Gustavsson

Systemfel

Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Team to Czech hockey games.

Thörnberg - Persson - J Ericsson
Larsson - Järnkrok - Silfverberg
Zibanejad - Söderberg - Danielsson
Jämtin - Lundqvist - Pettersson

Kronwall - Ekholm
Bäckman - Wallin
Frögren - Brodin

Fasth
Gustavsson
No need to bring along some of those SELers. The NHL will finish its regular season on April 7, 19 days prior to the CHG.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
No need to bring along some of those SELers. The NHL will finish its regular season on April 7, 19 days prior to the CHG.

Teams who goes out first round is ok then, but not those who goes to the second round (say 13 days for a 7 game round).

SChan*

Par marts should give Landeskog a spot. The guy is having a fantastic rookie season for a 19 year old, and is a very tough player.

Let me guess, he chooses a SEL washup before him.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Par marts should give Landeskog a spot. The guy is having a fantastic rookie season for a 19 year old, and is a very tough player.

Let me guess, he chooses a SEL washup before him.

"he is to young, to physical, to unproven, we have better players, dosent fit on big ice" etc.

I hate swedish coaches.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
Naah, Landeskog is a 100% lock this year I think. He is definitely one of the better swedes in the NHL right now. I personally want him, Karlsson and Backstrom more than anyone in the WJC if the nucks and wings can´t make it there. Berglund and Franzen are two other favorites.

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
After reading about another commercial fail by TV4, I'm worried that the World Championship will be unbearable to watch. Viasat got a bad rep for the same reasons, but I think they have gotten so much better with the timing on the commercial breaks. TV4 is just horrible.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
How much do you guys care about WC? I rather see swedes go far in the Stanley Cup playoffs tbh.

I like the WC, it's a nice tournament, but I wouldn't mind seeing Rangers vs. Ottawa and Detroit vs. Vancouver in the conference finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad