WC: Roster Talk '12 — Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
We start earlier than usual this year. You know why. In the first round (seven games!) Sweden will play at home. First game is against Norway :) So you could say the WC is in Finland AND Sweden. The event takes place between 4-20th of May. First placed team meets the fourth in the same group. Thus, Finland and Sweden can only meet in the semifinals or the finals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Men's_World_Ice_Hockey_Championships

In the last finals a missed tennis shot from Niklas Persson would have meant 2-0 with one period to go. The finns eventually won and the Hartwall fiasco some years ago (a mad Sundin) was partially eliminated. This coming season will to a certain degree be more about national team hockey than club hockey. In this thread we can anticipate the revenge and speculate about the possible team we can mobilize.

The first round of Stanley Cup ends at April 26

The Kajotbet Hockey Games (Czechia) is between April 26-29

WC starts at May 4th

The second round of Stanley Cup ends at May 10

The WC quarterfinals start at May 17

The 2011 roster:

Patrik Berglund St. Louis Blues (NHL) 9 8 2 10 8
Magnus Pääjärvi Edmonton Oilers (NHL) 9 2 5 7 2
Robert Nilsson Salavat Julajev Ufa (KHL) 9 1 6 7 0
Martin Thörnberg Torpedo Nižnij Novgorod (KHL) 9 2 4 6 4
Mikael Backlund Calgary Flames (NHL) 9 3 2 5 2
Loui Eriksson Dallas Stars (NHL) 9 3 1 4 2
Mattias Sjögren Färjestads BK 9 1 3 4 2
Niklas Persson Neftechimik Nižnekamsk (KHL) 8 3 0 3 8
Jimmie Ericsson Skellefteå AIK 8 2 1 3 2
Marcus Krüger Chicago Blackhawks (NHL) 9 2 1 3 10
Mattias Tedenby New Jersey Devils (NHL) 9 1 2 3 8
Jakob Silfverberg Brynäs IF 9 0 1 1 2
Andreas Jämtin Linköpings HC 1 0 0 0 0
Rickard Wallin Färjestads BK 9 0 0 0 4

David Petrasek HK Dynamo Minsk (KHL) 9 2 4 6 10
Oliver Ekman-Larsson Phoenix Coyotes (NHL) 7 1 3 4 2
Staffan Kronwall Severstal Cerepovec (KHL) 9 1 3 4 4
Carl Gunnarsson Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) 9 0 2 2 2
David Rundblad Skellefteå AIK 4 0 1 1 2
Tim Erixon Skellefteå AIK 9 0 1 1 2
Daniel Fernholm HK Dynamo Minsk (KHL) 9 0 1 1 4
Nicklas Grossman Dallas Stars (NHL) 2 0 0 0 4

Viktor Fasth AIK Ishockey 7 1.71 .946
Erik Ersberg Salavat Julajev Ufa (KHL) 2 3.84 .873
Anders Nilsson Luleå HF 0 0.00 .000

Last edited:

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
No ty to sedins unless it's small roles on the third line. After last olympics they shouldn't even be invited anymore.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
No ty to sedins unless it's small roles on the third line. After last olympics they shouldn't even be invited anymore.

With that logic, there are like 3 players from the Olympics that should be invited. Keep on keepin on.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
With that logic, there are like 3 players from the Olympics that should be invited. Keep on keepin on.

I would definitely take them for a WC team and make them first liners at that, but Im definitely not sure about Sochi. Great creative players and all that, but at this point of their careers I think it's pretty safe to say that they don't raise their game in a playoff kind of environment and they never do much for Sweden. Other than that I don't think they can play on a third line and will be on the downward slope of their careers in 2014.

I realize I did go a bit off topic here, but yeah... The Sedins :5:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Yeah they are not Sundin (or Jörgen Jönsson :P) with being there for the national team, that's for sure. But they are still great players, and while they did not up their game in the playoffs, neither did anyone else in Canucks, and don't forget, it's hard to score on a goalie putting up one of the best performances, ever.

But not taking them for the WC, seriously, what? They are locks for the national team, even if all NHL players accept. (This is not pointed at you Pentothal).

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd

Most of the other guys upped their play, but those two just kept their stagnant rotation going, it doesn't matter if it's the olympics whc or nhl finals the sedins dont play well when it matters. Did the BÃ…G logic of giving you icetime based on resume work better?

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Most of the other guys upped their play, but those two just kept their stagnant rotation going, it doesn't matter if it's the olympics whc or nhl finals the sedins dont play well when it matters. Did the BÃ…G logic of giving you icetime based on resume work better?

What? They were not good, but in my opinion, pretty much only the Bäckström line was.

Again, I see very big flaws in your logic if you base your opinion on last Olympics, or even the NHL playoffs. The Sedins were fine 2006.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
What? They were not good, but in my opinion, pretty much only the Bäckström line was.

Again, I see very big flaws in your logic if you base your opinion on last Olympics, or even the NHL playoffs. The Sedins were fine 2006.

They didn't have big roles in 2006. Most of the guy in 2010 were dissapointing but those two were by far worst, theres no flaw in skipping guys like that. If you wanna win that is...

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
There is always a bit of surprising, young stud that will get his chance on the National Team early in those meaningless tourneys, excel there & then make it onto the Swedish WC squad. My bet this year is on Jesper Fasth. Odds anyone?

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Looking at darkhorses:
MÃ¥rts have a thing for good young roleplayers. Maybe a guy like BÃ¥ng, Brodin or Lasu have a chance to make it on the fourth line. Brodin brings speed and physical game (and a seroius lack of scoring touch), BÃ¥ng brings size, plays a powerforward game and is strong along the boards and Lasu brings energy and is great at PK. All of them got a sniff of the national team last year.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
What are you talking about?! Sedins were really good in the olympics but they didn't get any icetime because of that stupid BÃ…G. Watch the games again. They never got a fair chance IMO!

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
What are you talking about?! Sedins were really good in the olympics but they didn't get any icetime because of that stupid BÃ…G. Watch the games again. They never got a fair chance IMO!

Agree. Playing with Weinhandl wasn't the high mark of their career if you say. Today I should pair them with Zetterberg.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
There is always a bit of surprising, young stud that will get his chance on the National Team early in those meaningless tourneys, excel there & then make it onto the Swedish WC squad. My bet this year is on Jesper Fasth. Odds anyone?

Fasth, sure. I wonder if there is more potential in him.

Hmm...maybe some defender...Almqvist, Nygren...or center Erik Forsell. Johan Larsson or Zibanejad could surprise after they are disqualified by U20-WC.

In a different world a dictionary would center Per Ledin and Andreas Jämtin.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Alexander Steen - Patrik Berglund - Gabriel Landeskog
Mattias Weinhandl - Tony Mårtensson - Martin Thörnberg
Jakob Silfverberg - Carl Söderberg - Jonas Andersson
Fredrik Sjöström - Joel Lundqvist - Andreas Jämtin (great checking line)

Tobias Enström - Johnny Oduya
David Petrasek - Staffan Kronwall
Mattias Ekholm - Mattias Karlsson

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
Alexander Steen - Patrik Berglund - Gabriel Landeskog
Mattias Weinhandl - Tony Mårtensson - Martin Thörnberg
Jakob Silfverberg - Carl Söderberg - Jonas Andersson
Fredrik Sjöström - Joel Lundqvist - Andreas Jämtin (great checking line)

Tobias Enström - Johnny Oduya
David Petrasek - Staffan Kronwall
Mattias Ekholm - Mattias Karlsson
:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad