WC: Roster Talk '11 – Slovakia

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Glen Hanlon announced first roster for training camp in Trenčín before WHC 2011:

Goalies: Lukáš Škrečko (Hkm Zvolen), Branislav Konrád (HC Slovan Bratislava)
Defenders: Ivan Baranka (Spartak Moskva/KHL), Marek Ďaloga (HKm Zvolen), Dominik Graňák (OHK Dinamo Moskva/KHL), Richard Lintner (SaiPa/Fín.), Peter Podhradský (Dinamo Minsk/KHL), Ivan Švarný (Litvínov/ČR), Michal Sersen (Jekaterinburg/KHL).
Forwards: Miroslav Šatan (OHK Dinamo Moskva/KHL), Juraj Mikúš (Spartak Moskva/KHL), Štefan Ružička (Spartak Moskva/KHL), Martin Cibák (Čerepovec/KHL), Branko Radivojevič (Spartak Moskva/KHL), Rastislav Dej (Karlove Vary/ČR), Tomáš Surový (Dinamo Riga/KHL), Milan Bartovič (Liberec/ČR), Marcel Hossa (Kazaň/KHL), Vladislav Baláž (Hkm Zvolen), Radoslav Tybor (Dukla Trenčín)

Source:
http://www.szlh.sk/clanok/65035-Na-p...alne-20-hracov

The best idea is that this roster is already better than last year's WHC team (except goalies of course :))

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Would you want Halak to replace one of Skrecko or Konrad?

If the Sabres are out of the playoffs, Sekera should also receive an invite.

OMG:help: Of course, I think this team is already better than 2010 WHC team Slovakia, but these goalies NOT. They are just "sparing partners". You know, all goalies that have a chance to play at 2011 WHC (except Staňa, because he don't want to be just 3rd goalie at 2011 WHC), still play: Halák (St. Louis), Budaj (Colorado), LašÃ¡k (Jokerit), Hamerlík (Trinec) and Hudáček (Košice).

Glen Hanlon said, everybody from NHL will receive an invite to training camp at least... including Svatoš, because he want to see him.

lukkas

Jul 16, 2010
Bratislava
Of course, Halak is considered also by Hanlon as number 1 goalie. Backup will probably be Budaj or Lasak. And also there are still Hamerlik (Trinec/CZE) and Hudacek (Kosice) competing in playoffs.

This roster is just for games against Finland on April 1st and 2nd.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Some more news:
- Záborský will not make the Finland games, he has some injury troubles with his end
-Ivan Baranka is still recovering from injury and won´t make the trip to Finland either, he would like to pla in the Austria games next week
-after the end of the Extraliga semifinal F Matej ČešÃ­k (1988) joined the team and due to Baranka´s absence another Banská Bystrica forward Ján Sýkora (1990) will make the Finland trip
-Ján LašÃ¡k, Richard Zedník and Radovan Somík got invited to the NT, after the end of Kvalserien in Sweden so will be Ľuboš Bartečko and Ladislav Nagy
-it has been confirmed for some time that Pavol Demitra and Jozef Stumpel will join the team later on

lukkas

Jul 16, 2010
Bratislava
Yeah, he did. Some players as Miro Å atan tried to persuade him at least for this tournament but they didn't change his decision.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
The NHLers who will definately be available (not necessarily willing, but their teams will not be in the playoffs) are:

Jurcina
Svatos
Halak
Budaj

I'm thinking that after the first round of the playoffs are done you can add:

Visnovsky
Sekera
Gaborik
Hossa
Kopecky

Tatar, Mikus, Panik and Bliznak could all be picked as well if Hanlon wants to help develop some young, up and coming NHL and National team players. I think the experience would be great for these guys, especially since it's being played at home.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Jokerit in finnish league just dropped from Playoffs at quarters in game 7, and i started wondering is there a change we see their goalie Jan Lasak on this team?

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The NHLers who will definately be available (not necessarily willing, but their teams will not be in the playoffs) are:

Jurcina
Svatos
Halak
Budaj

I'm thinking that after the first round of the playoffs are done you can add:

Visnovsky
Sekera
Gaborik
Hossa
Kopecky

Tatar, Mikus, Panik and Bliznak could all be picked as well if Hanlon wants to help develop some young, up and coming NHL and National team players. I think the experience would be great for these guys, especially since it's being played at home.

Oh, I´m pretty sure they all will be much more than willing this year just like the "Europeans". ;) In an interview with Å port Jurčina told them that despite his injury this week he should be okay in time for the WHC, but all depends on whether the Islanders will let him play considering all the injuries he had this season.

Jokerit in finnish league just dropped from Playoffs at quarters in game 7, and i started wondering is there a change we see their goalie Jan Lasak on this team?

He has been invited and AFAIK planson answering the call. However it looks lie Hanlon is counting with Halák and Budaj as the No. 1 and 2 goalies and if all Lašák would be doing is would be being the 3rd goalie and sitting in the stands it might be better to rather bring in some young goalie like Hudáček to do that to get experience for the future and he might be much more comfortable in that position than Lašák.

lukkas

Jul 16, 2010
Bratislava
Glen Hanlon made some changes in roster for two games against Austria.

Ján Lašák, Richard Stehlík, Juraj Mikuš (D-man from Marlies), Richard Pánik, Rastislav Pavlikovský, Richard Zedník and Tomáš Záborský will join the team tomorrow along with Marcel Hossa and Ivan Baranka who didn't play against Finland because of injuries.

The team was left by Å krečko, Ďaloga, Klíma, Sýkora, Tybor and Češík. Podhradský and Lintner are injured so they won't play against Austria either but they will probably join the team again later.

lukkas

Jul 16, 2010
Bratislava
Martin Štrbák changed his decision and joined the team today. :handclap:

There was also one disappointing information released today. Lintner's injury appeared to be serious one, so he won't play on the World Championship.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Martin Štrbák changed his decision and joined the team today. :handclap:

There was also one disappointing information released today. Lintner's injury appeared to be serious one, so he won't play on the World Championship.

Really? Not that I wish anyone an injury, but I believe he is of a much better use entertaining us commenting the game than playing it in these days.

Broken Stix

Apr 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes, but he was not listed by the OKC on their drop day roster. So he isn't eligible for the Playoffs. It's the same situation as why Paajarvi can't go down for playoffs

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Rakusko o_O where does that name has it's origin?

You know, Slovakia was for hundrets years part of Austro-Hungarian empire, but in the mountains of current Slovakia (and similar it is in Czech countries - Bohemia, Moravia, Silesia) people created couple of completely different names for nations ;):

e.g.
Austria - Rakúsko
Hungary - Maďarsko
Germany - Nemecko
Italy - Taliánsko

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
You know, Slovakia was for hundrets years part of Austro-Hungarian empire, but in the mountains of current Slovakia people created couple of completely different names for nations ;):

e.g.
Austria - Rakúsko
Hungary - Maďarsko
Germany - Nemecko
Italy - Taliánsko

Maďarsko and Taliánsko I can see...

Maďarsko is not soooo far away from Magyár...

Taliánsko not sooo far away from Italia.

Nemecko... Does the hungarian-slovakian names that are close to that have anything to do with germanic tribes?

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Would not Martin Marincin not be considered for this team. He is currently skating with the OKC Barons?

Well, at the moment I doubt he has got any chance to join team Slovakia. He's too young and inexperienced ;)

But, you never know...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad