Speculation: Roster Speculation, 2018 Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I'd certainly be willing to try it next year (depending on how Botts offseason goes). It's not like we had something good going this year, and we don't want to risk messing with it. :help:

EDIT: Not to mention it'd be a fun line to watch for a change, they'd keep the team in games and keep everyone's legs moving, it'd show the young guys how they need to play to succeed, etc. Start building that confidence up. Instead of every line getting dragged down by someone (or ones) and spotty individual efforts running the show and leading to no offense most nights.

We just saw it can work, those three click on another level. It's a legit top line on a good team. I think a lot of good could come from it.

Eichel-ROR-Reinhart (legit top line, runs the show)

Nylander-Mittelstadt-Okposo (this line and the kid line are interchangeable by 2nd/3rd line standards, hopefully finds some inspiration watching the top line play)

Bailey-ERod-Baptiste (get the kid line going again, speed energy and some scoring)

Girgensons-Larsson-Pominville (whatever, hoping 1 or 2 of these guys are traded/upgraded anyways)
Interesting and definitely worth a try. Plus the emergence of Mittelstadt if it proves sustainable, should give you that possibility.
The bottom 6 admittedly looks thin, however, that's why FA and trades exist.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Rodrigues has 17 points in his last 23 games while mostly playing 3rd line minutes.

With the clear lack of top-6 wingers besides Reinhart, he should really be given a shot in that role from day 1 next year. He has the speed and skill that everyone wants to see on here. Start him on Eichel's line and see if he can be a true top-6 guy for us...that would be huge.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
So far my free agent winger wishlist: Hansen, Kunitz, Grabner

Ryan Clowe made $4.85 million this year. He hasn't played in the NHL since 2014-15 lol

Hansen wasn't the same player this year that he has been in the last few seasons. He has a solid two way game and is much better than he showed. I would definitely be opened to a one year prove me deal if he were willing to come to Buffalo. In my view, I see him taking a similar deal to go back to Vancouver where he never wanted to leave. They need the veteran presence with Henrik / Daniel leaving. I would like to trade for Boedker on the cheap if he's available via trade from SJS.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Interesting and definitely worth a try. Plus the emergence of Mittelstadt if it proves sustainable, should give you that possibility.
The bottom 6 admittedly looks thin, however, that's why FA and trades exist.
The only thing I'm unsure about with that lineup is splitting up Mittelstadt and ERod, they've been great together IMO.

And whether or not Bailey, Baptiste, Nylander are ready to be promoted full time.

And if Okposo can get his game together. :laugh:

Last edited:

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Nylander - Eichel - Okposo
Wilson - ROR - Reinhart
ERod - Mittelstadt - Baptiste
Girgensons - Larsson - Pominville

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Rodrigues has 17 points in his last 23 games while mostly playing 3rd line minutes.

With the clear lack of top-6 wingers besides Reinhart, he should really be given a shot in that role from day 1 next year. He has the speed and skill that everyone wants to see on here. Start him on Eichel's line and see if he can be a true top-6 guy for us...that would be huge.
5on5 stats:
Evan Rodrigues
2.06 P/60
+3.57 RelCF%
47% zone starts

Mitch Marner
1.93 P/60
+2.69 RelCF%
54% zone starts

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The only thing I'm unsure about with that lineup is splitting up Mittelstadt and ERod, they've been great together IMO.

And whether or not Bailey, Baptiste, Nylander are ready to be promoted full time.

If Baptiste is not a regular next season, it's not because he doesn't deserve it.

Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
If Baptiste is not a regular next season, it's not because he doesn't deserve it.
I was tempted to leave him out of that. :laugh: But I've been a bit disconnected the last few weeks, having games more on in the background than focusing on them (until last night for the season closer). Hadn't heard much about him. He's looked good?

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I was tempted to leave him out of that. :laugh: But I've been a bit disconnected the last few weeks, having games more on in the background than focusing on them (until last night for the season closer). Hadn't heard much about him. He's looked good?
I haven't watched much recently either, but imo he was ready to be a full-time NHL contributor since last season. Just needs a proper shot with someone who's not Larsson/Nolan.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011

Reasonable questions, but the way I see it, this isn't about this line variation vs. other ones as mutually exclusive ultimate decisions anyway, but about flexibility.
That's why it's so madding that Housley hasn't started to experiment earlier.
For instance, afaik we haven't seen Erod with Jack and Antipin with Risto, either. Both low-risk, potentially high-reward experiments.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Wow that’s impressive production from Rodrigues. You can really see his improved confidence.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He played what, 22?, straight games on this last recall? Maybe we're all a bit tentative since none of Cerberus took the bit and ran coming out of camp, but he was up and useful for the final quarter of the season, including some 2nd PP time. That seems like someone who has graduated and should be penciled in, even if it is just as a 4th liner to start next season.

Reactions: Dingo44 and Aladyyn

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
So, we've solidified that Reinhart is better at RW. Which is cool. Edmonton is better with Draisaitl at wing with McDavid, or RNH on his wing. With ROR and Mittelstadt, it'll all work out.

Back to Reinhart. If I'm Housley and Botterill, I'm telling him to go skate with Gary Roberts over the summer, AND put on about 15 pounds of muscle. If he's going to play below the dots he needs to get stronger.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
So, we've solidified that Reinhart is better at RW. Which is cool. Edmonton is better with Draisaitl at wing with McDavid, or RNH on his wing. With ROR and Mittelstadt, it'll all work out.

Back to Reinhart. If I'm Housley and Botterill, I'm telling him to go skate with Gary Roberts over the summer, AND put on about 15 pounds of muscle. If he's going to play below the dots he needs to get stronger.
I disagree. We've solidified that Reinhart is better with talent. We basically haven't even moved to square 1 wrt his center ability.

And I disagree with the 15 pounds thing. I don't think he needs it and it might do more harm than good.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Look at it on the bright side - Colorado just made the playoffs from an actually worse season than ours. Toronto did the same the year before. There is hope. For me it's always new season - new hope. Yes, I might start steaming at the roster again in November but I won't give up hope before I see the product on the ice come October.

First step is getting rid of the FRAUD that is Housley. Joke of a coach, joke of a motivator, joke of a mentor for a young team. Start from the top and work down with the changes.

Forward:
We have the spine set. I think ROR stays despite the rumors he's made available. If he doesn't I expect some 3C to be coming back as part of the trade as a replacement so I am not worried about the 1-2-3 down the middle. Larsson as 4C is passable but I prefer some experience defensive stalwart off UFA - there are some choices so that Larsson slides as the extra forward, where his place is....

On the wing things are getting a bit desperate but let's assume we draft one of Svechnikov or Zadina. Both in theory should be NHL ready. Let's assume that Oloffson can make the team out of camp too as he's had 4.5 full pro seasons in Sweden. Don't think he needs any slow cooking considering the state of the team. Baptiste is OK for the bottom 6. CJ Smith should be alright for the bottom 6...and just give Nylander his shot - whether he's looking ready or not, he needs to start getting established at the next level if we are going to go somewhere next season. So assuming we draft Svech it's something like this:

Girgs - Jack - Olofsson
X - ROR - Reinhart
Nylander - Mittelstadt - Svechnikov
Smith - X - Baptiste
Larsson, Bailey (extras)

In the case of getting Svechnikov who is RW we should look to offload Okposo...for nothing, retain some salary and get it done. Some team would bite at him at 4mil per cap. We still have to find a good LW off UFA. Try to get JVR or Perron off UFA - the draft class is not looking good for UFA's if we assume Neal and Kane are re-signed. Nash is shot, Maroon is useless, and there is not much else there too. Would be great if they can find some college or Euro gem for the LW position as things are a bit desperate there.

If we get Zadina things are looking easier to fit:
Girgs - Jack - Olofsson
Zadina - ROR - Reinhart
Nylander - Mittelstadt - Okposo
Smith - X - Baptiste
Larsson, Bailey (extras)

We could then keep Okposo and then we have Bailey, Baptiste and Okposo to rotate for the bottom 6 RW. Zadina could realistically slot in the top 6 solving a big organisational headache there after Kane left.

If we get D, you keep Okposo and you still have a hole on the left to fill:

Girgs - Jack - Olofsson
X - ROR - Reinhart
Smith - X - Baptiste
Larsson, Bailey (extras)

Defensively things are not looking good at all IMO. Our best shot at fixing that mess is if we get Dahlin obviously:
X - Risto
Scandella - Dahlin
Guhle - Nelson

Finding a top pairing-worthy D is a headache. There is not much in UFA - maybe take a shot at a stopgap like Enstrom or De Haan and hope for the best while using the 32 pick on LD or trading one of Davidsson or Asplund for an NHL-ready LD?

If we get F or D that is not NHL ready it's a glorious mess
X - Risto
Scandella - X
Guhle - Nelson

Would love to get Carlson at RD but don't think he will hit UFA. Best bet is to get 2 stopgap D in Green, Pateryn (RD) and Enstrom, De Haan (LD) but this is still not a great D corp:

Scandella - Risto
Enstrom - Pateryn
Guhle - Nelson

I'd be ready to trade one of Davidsson or Asplund in a trade for an NHL-ready D prospect (something along the lines of Fabbro, McKeown, Gabe Carlsson, Fleury, Bean, Myers, Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki to fill one of the spots as it will be extremely challenging getting 2 competent D off UFA without giving our silly contracts. For some of these probably the other team has to add, for some we have to add - just make the trade work, we only really need 1 and there are plenty of potential targets.

In goal things are not looking great. We have Ullmark and not much else. Off UFA, I'd throw money at Bernier if the Avs don't re-sign him before the season ends or if they really believe in Ullmark as starter then at least get an upper level backup in Hutton. I know it may sound crazy to some, but I'd trade someone like Asplund or our 2019 1st (top3 protected) for Grubauer, I like Grubauer that much. If there is no good trade to be made for a goalie stick with Ullmark, he has at least shown he deserve a shot, whether he takes it or not we will see.

Buyout the crap we don't need to keep - Pominville is a prime candidate, so are Tennyson and Beaulieu who are absolutely a drag on the organization with them just being present here. Bogo can stay as 7D or even down in Rochester but I wouldn't rely on him to build my starting roster with his injury record and Botts shouldn't either if he has any common sense.

Bottom line is we can make it work by reshuffling the supporting cast and going with youth.

If we go into the season with this team, I will be excited and it doesn't even assume we pick top2 or trading for Grubi or landing some not very realistic UFA like Tavares or Carlson! :
Girgs - Jack - Olofsson
Zadina - ROR - Reinhart
Smith - Brodziak - Baptiste
Larsson, Bailey (extras)

Scandella - Risto
Enstrom - Andersson
Guhle - Nelson
Bogo

Ullmark
Bernier
lol where e-rod doe??

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'm a little surprised to see Okposo has 44 pts in 76 games.

Hopefully the perceived bad play was either in our heads, or something that can be ironed out with a restful offseason.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
I would give Okposo away with our second rounder for nothing.

There are FIVE YEARS left on his contract and he's already dreadful at anything to do with hockey.
He'll be CBO'd after the next lockout in 2 years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So backing up a page or two...