Status
Not open for further replies.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
The problem is that we are slow.

If someone wants to get me out of five more years of ROR being slow at big money so I can get assets that are faster...then I can build a team that plays how Botterill wants.

I don’t care if he scratched out his 60 points again. I don’t care how many points any of these people got after teams were already up multiple goals because they skated all over us until score effects took over.
the problem isn't that we are slow... It's that we are slow, old, and unskilled....

teams can do well being just slow, the other things are deal breakers

Let's not get ourselves too caught up in the speed propoganda, it's important but it's not the most important thing

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
So many wildcards at the winger position next year. A lot depends on if any of Smith/Nylander/Bailey/Baptise/O'Reagen make the team out of camp...I'm guessing 1-2 are going to out of necessity

Right now we have Okposo Reinhart/Mittelstadt and Wilson as our wingers for next season. Possibly add Pominville to that. Is it realistic that we would sign that many free agent wingers? Or maybe Botteril gets something to fill those spots back from a ROR trade? But then ROR leaving leads a huge hole...

We also are missing a #1 and a #2 dman lol. Dahlin would change so much. Pleeeeaaassseeee hockey gods let us win, this town has suffered enough.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
So many wildcards at the winger position next year. A lot depends on if any of Smith/Nylander/Bailey/Baptise/O'Reagen make the team out of camp...I'm guessing 1-2 are going to out of necessity

Right now we have Okposo Reinhart/Mittelstadt and Wilson as our wingers for next season. Possibly add Pominville to that. Is it realistic that we would sign that many free agent wingers? Or maybe Botteril gets something to fill those spots back from a ROR trade? But then ROR leaving leads a huge hole...

We also are missing a #1 and a #2 dman lol. Dahlin would change so much. Pleeeeaaassseeee hockey gods let us win, this town has suffered enough.

Evan Rodrigues just put up 25 points in 48 games.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Evan Rodrigues just put up 25 points in 48 games.

Erod! Lol how did I forgot him. He's been awesome this year imo.

I really want to see Erod - Eichel - xx to start next year

Seeing Mittelstadt - Eichel - Erod for game #1 would make me smile

Reactions: HaNotsri

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I would give Okposo away with our second rounder for nothing.

There are FIVE YEARS left on his contract and he's already dreadful at anything to do with hockey.

Reactions: Vito_81

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I'd like to think the idea of Eichel-ROR-Reinhart gets rolled out of the gate next year. If they're all still here.

Let Okposo, Rodrigues, Mittelstadt, Nylander, Pominville, any UFA replacements and our 2018 1st rounder (assuming it isn't Dahlin or defense) figure the other three lines out.
No, god no.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
While appealing, what do they want for that service and what does Buffalo send to make it worthwhile? Seems like they'd want futures, which aren't really what the Sabres are swimming in.

I don't even know if we would need to add much. I think there's a potential Hockey trade to be made there. They reportedly want to add "character vets" to ease their younger players in. Benning loves Gudbranson, how about the OG Gudbranson in Bogosian? Or convince him that if Kyle Okposo is on Vancouver then there's a 60% chance Tavares will sign there every time.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
So far my free agent winger wishlist: Hansen, Kunitz, Grabner

Ryan Clowe made $4.85 million this year. He hasn't played in the NHL since 2014-15 lol

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Look at it on the bright side - Colorado just made the playoffs from an actually worse season than ours. Toronto did the same the year before. There is hope. For me it's always new season - new hope. Yes, I might start steaming at the roster again in November but I won't give up hope before I see the product on the ice come October.

First step is getting rid of the FRAUD that is Housley. Joke of a coach, joke of a motivator, joke of a mentor for a young team. Start from the top and work down with the changes.

Forward:
We have the spine set. I think ROR stays despite the rumors he's made available. If he doesn't I expect some 3C to be coming back as part of the trade as a replacement so I am not worried about the 1-2-3 down the middle. Larsson as 4C is passable but I prefer some experience defensive stalwart off UFA - there are some choices so that Larsson slides as the extra forward, where his place is....

On the wing things are getting a bit desperate but let's assume we draft one of Svechnikov or Zadina. Both in theory should be NHL ready. Let's assume that Oloffson can make the team out of camp too as he's had 4.5 full pro seasons in Sweden. Don't think he needs any slow cooking considering the state of the team. Baptiste is OK for the bottom 6. CJ Smith should be alright for the bottom 6...and just give Nylander his shot - whether he's looking ready or not, he needs to start getting established at the next level if we are going to go somewhere next season. So assuming we draft Svech it's something like this:

Girgs - Jack - Olofsson
X - ROR - Reinhart
Nylander - Mittelstadt - Svechnikov
Smith - X - Baptiste
Larsson, Bailey (extras)

In the case of getting Svechnikov who is RW we should look to offload Okposo...for nothing, retain some salary and get it done. Some team would bite at him at 4mil per cap. We still have to find a good LW off UFA. Try to get JVR or Perron off UFA - the draft class is not looking good for UFA's if we assume Neal and Kane are re-signed. Nash is shot, Maroon is useless, and there is not much else there too. Would be great if they can find some college or Euro gem for the LW position as things are a bit desperate there.

If we get Zadina things are looking easier to fit:
Girgs - Jack - Olofsson
Zadina - ROR - Reinhart
Nylander - Mittelstadt - Okposo
Smith - X - Baptiste
Larsson, Bailey (extras)

We could then keep Okposo and then we have Bailey, Baptiste and Okposo to rotate for the bottom 6 RW. Zadina could realistically slot in the top 6 solving a big organisational headache there after Kane left.

If we get D, you keep Okposo and you still have a hole on the left to fill:

Girgs - Jack - Olofsson
X - ROR - Reinhart
Smith - X - Baptiste
Larsson, Bailey (extras)

Defensively things are not looking good at all IMO. Our best shot at fixing that mess is if we get Dahlin obviously:
X - Risto
Scandella - Dahlin
Guhle - Nelson

Finding a top pairing-worthy D is a headache. There is not much in UFA - maybe take a shot at a stopgap like Enstrom or De Haan and hope for the best while using the 32 pick on LD or trading one of Davidsson or Asplund for an NHL-ready LD?

If we get F or D that is not NHL ready it's a glorious mess
X - Risto
Scandella - X
Guhle - Nelson

Would love to get Carlson at RD but don't think he will hit UFA. Best bet is to get 2 stopgap D in Green, Pateryn (RD) and Enstrom, De Haan (LD) but this is still not a great D corp:

Scandella - Risto
Enstrom - Pateryn
Guhle - Nelson

I'd be ready to trade one of Davidsson or Asplund in a trade for an NHL-ready D prospect (something along the lines of Fabbro, McKeown, Gabe Carlsson, Fleury, Bean, Myers, Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki to fill one of the spots as it will be extremely challenging getting 2 competent D off UFA without giving our silly contracts. For some of these probably the other team has to add, for some we have to add - just make the trade work, we only really need 1 and there are plenty of potential targets.

In goal things are not looking great. We have Ullmark and not much else. Off UFA, I'd throw money at Bernier if the Avs don't re-sign him before the season ends or if they really believe in Ullmark as starter then at least get an upper level backup in Hutton. I know it may sound crazy to some, but I'd trade someone like Asplund or our 2019 1st (top3 protected) for Grubauer, I like Grubauer that much. If there is no good trade to be made for a goalie stick with Ullmark, he has at least shown he deserve a shot, whether he takes it or not we will see.

Buyout the crap we don't need to keep - Pominville is a prime candidate, so are Tennyson and Beaulieu who are absolutely a drag on the organization with them just being present here. Bogo can stay as 7D or even down in Rochester but I wouldn't rely on him to build my starting roster with his injury record and Botts shouldn't either if he has any common sense.

Bottom line is we can make it work by reshuffling the supporting cast and going with youth.

If we go into the season with this team, I will be excited and it doesn't even assume we pick top2 or trading for Grubi or landing some not very realistic UFA like Tavares or Carlson! :
Girgs - Jack - Olofsson
Zadina - ROR - Reinhart
Smith - Brodziak - Baptiste
Larsson, Bailey (extras)

Scandella - Risto
Enstrom - Andersson
Guhle - Nelson
Bogo

Ullmark
Bernier

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
When did Okposo become Leino? Dude crawled off his deathbed to put up ~50 point pace

His ES production was minimal.

This team needs guys that can score 5 on 5. Racking up secondary PP assists is nice and all, but this has been the worst offensive 5 on 5 team for the last 5 years.

Even the year before this I thought he was "meh" at ES.

Reactions: Vito_81

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
What is the obsession with Girgensons, and further, with putting Girgensons on a line with Jack? Yes, Jack CAN carry his bloated lifeless corpse up and down the ice, but we should be getting Jack ACTUAL hockey players with skill to play with. Girgensons, Larsson, Nolan, Pominville ——> Bye. How about Baptiste on a line that isn’t possibly the two worst forwards in the league? How about Bailey? It’s also S or get off the pot time for Fasching.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Why on Earth should anyone consider Bogosian as a possible good player at any point? Taking his three "full" seasons in Buffalo, he's missed 108 games and been dressed for 138... that's 44% of the games he's being paid to play that he's been out of the lineup and how many of those he dressed was he sub-optimal? At least the 18 for this season, by eye-test.

The only thing he's shown on the ice is that he's unreliable. Great guy off the ice, but on it? When he's on it? If he's on it? No. All that physical talent and he doesn't play a smart game in the least.
He’s been doing a lot of sudokus lately to improve his game. Sadly he forgot the rehab.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
No, god no.
Hmm?

Eichel-ROR-Reinhart absolutely killed it in the third period of last nights game. Easily the best hockey we've seen out of anyone on this team all year. It's a shame it took Phil 81 and a half games to think of it. And the other lines had their legs moving too because of it.

At some point we need to swallow this idea of "spreading the talent around" without acknowledging it hasn't ever worked. The team has been embarrassingly bad offensively for years. Even if the other lines have to fend for themselves for a little while and figure it out... I think one line scoring is more of a spark plug/motivating presence for everyone on the team, than no lines scoring.

EDIT: I trust Rodrigues and Mittelstadt at least to be the start of a functional middle 6 pairing next year. Maybe Nylander. Maybe Baptiste/Bailey. Everyone else I could take or leave but I don't see Okposo or Pominville going anywhere this offseason since their value is so low, and if they are here, they need to be pushed down the lineup... not waste Jack, Sam or Ryans time pumping them up.

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Hmm?

Eichel-ROR-Reinhart absolutely killed it in the third period of last nights game. Easily the best hockey we've seen out of anyone on this team all year. It's a shame it took Phil 81 and a half games to think of it. And the other lines had their legs moving too because of it.

At some point we need to swallow this idea of "spreading the talent around" without acknowledging it hasn't ever worked. The team has been embarrassingly bad offensively for years. Even if the other lines have to fend for themselves for a little while and figure it out... I think one line scoring is more of a spark plug/motivating presence for everyone on the team, than no lines scoring.

EDIT: I trust Rodrigues and Mittelstadt at least to be the start of a functional middle 6 pairing next year. Maybe Nylander. Maybe Baptiste/Bailey. Everyone else I could take or leave but I don't see Okposo or Pominville going anywhere this offseason since their value is so low, and if they are here, they need to be pushed down the lineup... not waste Jack, Sam or Ryans time pumping them up.
Doesnt matter what they killed. You still need to somehow assemble 3 more functional lines. With these 3 on a line it's impossible.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Doesnt matter what they killed. You still need to somehow assemble 3 more functional lines. With these 3 on a line it's impossible.
I'd certainly be willing to try it next year (depending on how Botts offseason goes). It's not like we had something good going this year, and we don't want to risk messing with it. :help:

EDIT: Not to mention it'd be a fun line to watch for a change, they'd keep the team in games and keep everyone's legs moving, it'd show the young guys how they need to play to succeed, etc. Start building that confidence up. Instead of every line getting dragged down by someone (or ones) and spotty individual efforts running the show and leading to no offense most nights.

We just saw it can work, those three click on another level. It's a legit top line on a good team. I think a lot of good could come from it.

Eichel-ROR-Reinhart (legit top line, runs the show)

Nylander-Mittelstadt-Okposo (this line and the kid line are interchangeable by 2nd/3rd line standards, hopefully finds some inspiration watching the top line play)

Bailey-ERod-Baptiste (get the kid line going again, speed energy and some scoring)

Girgensons-Larsson-Pominville (whatever, hoping 1 or 2 of these guys are traded/upgraded anyways)

Last edited:
Reactions: umbertovanek

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
His ES production was minimal.

This team needs guys that can score 5 on 5. Racking up secondary PP assists is nice and all, but this has been the worst offensive 5 on 5 team for the last 5 years.

Even the year before this I thought he was "meh" at ES.
To improve at 5on5 this team needs 3 things, in descending order of importance:
1) Multiple top 4 defensemen (whether that's coming from the outside or from within)
2) A good coach
3) Some finishing talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad