Roster Speculation '17-'18: Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Say that if you want, but I'm still going to wait for @dotcommunism to confirm it.

I don't recall what the amount is for 17/18, but it was $950K salary is deducted from the cap hit on Buffalo if a roster player is sent to Rochester. As a result anything left after the 950K is taken out is against the team cap, if its under its 0.

I think for 17/18 the amount was to go up to $1M

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Based on those last 4 pre-season games I have to say that I haven't been too impressed what I have seen. Doesn't mean that I'm disappointed or concerned. Just that it's obvious that it will take time to properly implement the system. On those last two games (Islanders and Penguins) we looked too often too similar to the team we saw last year. On those two Toronto games we played differently (system wise), but Toronto was just way too ahead on execution so it seemed like they had the extra 1 or two seconds on every situation that made a huge difference. But there were still clear indications of the team system going towards what we have been hoping for a long time. And I will personally wait at least for Christmas until judging Housley (because it will take some time actually say is the outcome a success or a failure).

I don't think that individually you should base too much on pre-season games. Despite that I think that from the new guys Antipin and Beaulieu looked like they have a lot to offer. But I also see that Antipin might have some troubles on board battles and in front of the net and from Beaulieu we will see a decent amount of bonehead plays. But it seems they will give more than they will take.

It was a time they finally start to play Reinhart as a center. It will probably take some time from him to make it work, but you simply have to have the adjustment period. If he plays the whole season as a center and he is properly matched and deployed, there should be no excuses for him to make a big impact and it shouldn't be depended on his wingers. I'm expecting him to make another step, and if at the end of the season it seems there isn't coming one, I might get a bit concerned. I mean, he is expected to be a quality two-way center who can be matched and used against anything and in any situation.

And it's nice to see us finally having a really solid 4th line. If used accordingly, it should give us an actualy edge compared to being liability which is a major difference compared to the last two years.

And it seems we have a lot better depth at D, though I'm still a bit concerned about us having solid pairings after Scandella-Risto.

Big year for many of our younger prospects (Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, Rodgrigues and Smith) since many of they are losing their waiver exemption.

Nice to see the season getting started soon!

Reactions: brian_griffin

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Based on those last 4 pre-season games I have to say that I haven't been too impressed what I have seen. Doesn't mean that I'm disappointed or concerned. Just that it's obvious that it will take time to properly implement the system. On those last two games (Islanders and Penguins) we looked too often too similar to the team we saw last year. On those two Toronto games we played differently (system wise), but Toronto was just way too ahead on execution so it seemed like they had the extra 1 or two seconds on every situation that made a huge difference. But there were still clear indications of the team system going towards what we have been hoping for a long time. And I will personally wait at least for Christmas until judging Housley (because it will take some time actually say is the outcome a success or a failure).

I don't think that individually you should base too much on pre-season games. Despite that I think that from the new guys Antipin and Beaulieu looked like they have a lot to offer. But I also see that Antipin might have some troubles on board battles and in front of the net and from Beaulieu we will see a decent amount of bonehead plays. But it seems they will give more than they will take.

It was a time they finally start to play Reinhart as a center. It will probably take some time from him to make it work, but you simply have to have the adjustment period. If he plays the whole season as a center and he is properly matched and deployed, there should be no excuses for him to make a big impact and it shouldn't be depended on his wingers. I'm expecting him to make another step, and if at the end of the season it seems there isn't coming one, I might get a bit concerned. I mean, he is expected to be a quality two-way center who can be matched and used against anything and in any situation.

And it's nice to see us finally having a really solid 4th line. If used accordingly, it should give us an actualy edge compared to being liability which is a major difference compared to the last two years.

And it seems we have a lot better depth at D, though I'm still a bit concerned about us having solid pairings after Scandella-Risto.

Big year for many of our younger prospects (Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, Rodgrigues and Smith) since many of they are losing their waiver exemption.

Nice to see the season getting started soon!

A couple things about the new system. First, it is such a drastic change to Bylsma's that it will take time to get used to it and execute it properly and consistently, like you said. Second, this lineup isn't ideal to play that system and it will take time for Botterill to move out some of those pieces that don't fit it and move in more pieces that do. Next year when the likes of Guhle, Nylander, Mittlestadt and a couple others hopefully are hear and the team has a full year under their belt of playing it I think you will see a much swifter, smoother team. Still excited for this season but realize this won't be a smooth overnight transition.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Is Mittelstadt not going back to school?

I think most here speculate that he will play 1 year in college, then join the team perhaps. If he dominates in college hockey, he'll be considered very highly for a spot on the team next year, or even late in the season, since I believe he will have finished his season at Minny late Feb. (mid-March if they go far in the tourney)

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I think most here speculate that he will play 1 year in college, then join the team perhaps. If he dominates in college hockey, he'll be considered very highly for a spot on the team next year, or even late in the season, since I believe he will have finished his season at Minny late Feb. (mid-March if they go far in the tourney)
His conference tournament won't be until mid-March. If they make it to the NCAAs you're looking at the end of March, or early April if they make it to the Frozen Four.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
He's already playing in college it seems like. I think people are just having fun penciling future lineups, which would naturally include him. Whether he makes the jump this year, next year or 4 years from now.
Pretty confident that if Yamamoto can possibly make it this year, then Casey can make it at some point next year...

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Kid is from MN. Playing for the Gophers is a childhood dream there. He already stayed in HS to win Mr Hockey, as opposed to running straight to Juniors. He's going to play one full season, and it's not because he isn't good enough to potentially jump n ow.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
By my math we need the cap to go up by 2mil to have amy chance to re-sign Kane or similar player next year even with the inevitable Moulson buyout. Hope at least Casey and Alex are ready by then in case we cant afford that expensive winger so that we are not barebones on the wings.

EDIT: unless we bridge Sam, whuch would make things easy. If they like Kane this year I am fully expecting this to happen.

Just looking at who we already have signed and budgeting for Reinhart, Antipin, goaltending, and the other 6-7 fill-ins with low cost vets or ELCs, I don't think buying out Moulson and bridging Sam gets us even remotely close to being able to afford to resign Kane next year. I think we'd have to move a big contract (Moulson, Pomminville, Bogo) or trade Reinhart.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
That moulson contract really was horrible. If we want to retain Kane, even at a cheaper number, we'll need to make a few moves, and get some prospects on the cheap to finally step up and take a job.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's not just Moulson next year that makes re-signing Kane unlikely.

It's having Moulson and Pominville combining for over $10M against the cap that makes it unlikely.

And if Reinhart blows up this year....

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I like Kane, the guy is good for 20-30 goals every year and it's tough to put a price on that... but he's kind of like Eichel in the sense that he doesn't really play well with others. But he lacks Eichel's immense talent and potential to be more than that at this point.

Because of that, he's not really ideal in the top 6 because you don't win with guys like that... and a great third liner because of his grit and the production he can get virtually on his own, but he won't get paid like one. I'm fine with moving on from him. And Moulson/Pominville too obviously in a few years. Give that money to Reinhart if he earns it, and leave the rest for cheap ELC's and any kids that stick and earn a pay day (Mittlestadt, Nylander, Guhle, Fasching, Pu, etc).

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
That moulson contract really was horrible. If we want to retain Kane, even at a cheaper number, we'll need to make a few moves, and get some prospects on the cheap to finally step up and take a job.
Bridging Sam should be enough with increased Cap and Moulson buyout.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Bridging Sam should be enough with increased Cap and Moulson buyout.
Show your work?

by the way, buying out moulson only drops his cap hit from 5.0 to 3.67 next season so only saves us 1.33 million, and really only half that (or less) once you account for his replacement.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Show your work?

by the way, buying out moulson only drops his cap hit from 5.0 to 3.67 next season so only saves us 1.33 million, and really only half that (or less) once you account for his replacement.
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/487002 - just an example with some margin assuming 77mil cap. Im sure some of the re-signed players will get a tad more but not expecting much more so 77 should be enough with Sam bridge.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
What Jason Botterill is doing is exactly what he said he would. He is doing what every GM says they're doing but hardly ever accomplish: fostering competition from the top-to-bottom of the organization. Tim Murray mentioned repeatedly that a goal of his was to make Rochester competitive. The actions never matched up to his words, though. He would make a depth signing or two in August and we'd hail at his commitment to Rochester.

We currently have one NHL caliber prospect on defense in Brandon Guhle. Botterill is harnessing his power to foster growth in Guhle by essentially providing an environment where he doesn't need to play an NHL game this year. The Sabres could realistically have two or three injuries on defense before Guhle would be called up. That's a remarkable improvement even from the middle of last year where the Sabres had to fly Guhle across the continent as an emergency call up to play because of the dearth of talent on the blueline.

That's not to say guys like Gorges, Tennyson, Redman, Falk, and Fedun are good NHL defenseman by any means. What they are is a means to allow prospects time to grow without the "urgency" because of lack of depth. I'd imagine over the next couple seasons we will be seeing a bit more emphasis in the draft on defense, especially higher.

I guess what I am really hinting at is that players will no longer be gifted roster spots (even in Rochester) solely because they are draft picks of the regime. Even if Botterill didn't make the Scandella move, that is a drastic improvement over Murray.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/487002 - just an example with some margin assuming 77mil cap. Im sure some of the re-signed players will get a tad more but not expecting much more so 77 should be enough with Sam bridge.

You used half the savings from the Moulson buyout... to give Seth Griffith a near 100% pay raise? Just plug in Erod at 650k

lol

Antipin's next contract could be closer to McCabe's recent contract.

Minnesota was able to trade Jason Pominville's contract with 2 years left. Every year team's are able to move "bad contracts".

We are going to be able to unload at least 1 of Moulson, Bogo, or Pommer contract if we need to.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Well you're a player short of max roster size and I think you're probably on the optimistic side of Kane, Reinhart, Antipin, and Goaltending. I had Kane @ 6, Goaltending @ 7, and I feel that Antipin could put up a season that's going to get him paid 4 or more and if that happens that gets priority over Kane IMO. I was 3 mil over the current cap before I even gave anything to Reinhart though in fairness I did forget about that little bit of bonus we get from hodgson next year.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
You used half the savings from the Moulson buyout... to give Seth Griffith a near 100% pay raise? Just plug in Erod at 650k

lol

Minnesota was able to trade Jason Pominville's contract with 2 years left. Every year team's are able to move "bad contracts".

We are going to be able to unload at least 1 of Moulson, Bogo, or Pommer contract if we need to.
Or it could be closer to Zaitsev...

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

lol

I said as an example, some would get more, some would get less. If Griffith plays well this year there is no reason he wouldn't deserve 1mil plus. But you can plug there someone like Fasching on under 1 mil so whatever.

If you unload Bogo, you have to find a replacement...Unless he gets injured all the team yet again, I'm not trading him. For Moulson we will have to lose a pick. Pomer - I think they like what he brings on and off the ice so I don't see why they would want to trade someone that is popular with fans and in the locker room. Technically Pomers contract is more buyout-friendly than Moulson's but Moulson is useless - all we need is to get rid of him and we have cap for a decent Kane-like winger (with Sam bridge, if we are signing Sam long term - no chance I think).

Well you're a player short of max roster size and I think you're probably on the optimistic side of Kane, Reinhart, Antipin, and Goaltending. I had Kane @ 6, Goaltending @ 7, and I feel that Antipin could put up a season that's going to get him paid 4 or more and if that happens that gets priority over Kane IMO. I was 3 mil over the current cap before I even gave anything to Reinhart though in fairness I did forget about that little bit of bonus we get from hodgson next year.

Wut?

Kane at 6 maybe, but not sure what he's shown to actually deserve a raise from any team in the NHL.
Reinhart on bridge shouldn't get more than 4.
Antipin - who knows?
Goaltedning...with Ullmark signed, you are giving Lehner 6 mil??? WHAT???
and yes I am, but we could run 22 man squad when we have all well paid players - if someone goes on IR then can bump it up to 23 I think. Not an issues I reckon.
...lots of ifs and buts but it's not impossible to re-sign Kane if they think that's the right thing to do. Even if that costs us some pick to dump Moulson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad