Roster Speculation '17-'18: Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
ERod and Falk were put on IR I believe. Guess they are in purgatory as to "making the team" for now.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Unless there's an injury before he's healthy, I think ERod is ticketed for Rochester. Waiver exempt? Check. Lengthy layoff allowing for the "he didn't have a full preseason and needs reps" out? Yep. It's just the path of least resistance and furthers the development mantra. He'll be up eventually, though.

Reactions: Chainshot

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey guys, just checking in and noticing that Sam Reinhart is set to centre the 3rd line. I picked him up late in fantasy but am thinking about potentially dropping him. Do you guys think he'll get a lot of offensive opportunities? PP time? Thanks!

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Hey guys, just checking in and noticing that Sam Reinhart is set to centre the 3rd line. I picked him up late in fantasy but am thinking about potentially dropping him. Do you guys think he'll get a lot of offensive opportunities? PP time? Thanks!

Pp1

17 minutes a game at least.

Depends on how deep your league is.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
By my math we need the cap to go up by 2mil to have amy chance to re-sign Kane or similar player next year even with the inevitable Moulson buyout. Hope at least Casey and Alex are ready by then in case we cant afford that expensive winger so that we are not barebones on the wings.

EDIT: unless we bridge Sam, whuch would make things easy. If they like Kane this year I am fully expecting this to happen.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Expect 20 goals, 40-50 pts. If we struggle he might be moved up to play on Eichels wing.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Trading Moulson at 50% would give us more cap space than a buyout.
And we will have to give up assets to dump him. No one would buy Moulson at his cap hit (even halved) when hes at best 13th firward. I think we might have yo buy him out if they like Kane (or someone else from UFA for his position) long term. Even with bridge for Sam it would be almost impossible fit without a Moulson buyout.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
By my math we need the cap to go up by 2mil to have amy chance to re-sign Kane or similar player next year even with the inevitable Moulson buyout. Hope at least Casey and Alex are ready by then in case we cant afford that expensive winger so that we are not barebones on the wings.

EDIT: unless we bridge Sam, whuch would make things easy. If they like Kane this year I am fully expecting this to happen.
We should bridge Sam. The good thing about a bridge contract is that the third one won't go into 38-year old territory.

Swapping Lehner/Johnson for a cheaper option might help as well.

If Bogo does well we might be able to trade him as well without adding picks. But then Ghule, Antipin and Scandella has to look like legit top four defensemen.

We're at least 3 seasons away from dealing with Nylander/Mittelstadt/Asplund contracts, so after the purge next summer we should have a couple of comfy seasons cap-wise.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
We should bridge Sam. The good thing about a bridge contract is that the third one won't go into 38-year old territory.

Swapping Lehner/Johnson for a cheaper option might help as well.

If Bogo does well we might be able to trade him as well without adding picks. But then Ghule, Antipin and Scandella has to look like legit top four defensemen.

We're at least 3 seasons away from dealing with Nylander/Mittelstadt/Asplund contracts, so after the purge next summer we should have a couple of comfy seasons cap-wise.
Not much of an issue with Sam. His game will age well.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Not much of an issue with Sam. His game will age well.
Agreed. But I am still pro-bridging him to allow having an extra quality winger without decimating the rest of the team. By now it's quite obvious the kids we were supposed to have in there won't be much more than fringe NHLers. With Sam at wing and if we let Kane go we have not much left...Okposo, Pomer for 1 year, Griffith who is borderline NHLer at this point, Girgs....hopefully Casey and Alex. That's still only 6 wingers so in a couple of years time without re-signed Kane or Similar we are looking at:
Casey - Jack - Nylander
Asplund - ROR - Okposo
Meh - Sam - Meh
Girgensons - Larsson - Meh

There is not much physical presence in this lineup and it relies on Alex, Casey and Asplund actually making it by then about which I think we are having some doubts (specifically with Alex). We could fill the "Meh" spots from the farm with the likes of Baptiste, Fasching, ERod, CJ, Griffith, Malone, Pu, etc. but I'd rather have someone like Kane (impact forward) that can help drive the forecheck on that 3rd line and still chip in 20+ goals per season and also is somewhat experience as the above line up is full of under 25s (Casey, Jack, Nylander, Asplund, Sam, Meh1, Meh2)

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Mittlestadt + Reinhart >> Mittlestad + Eichel

Guys like Kris Versteeg and Lee Stempniak hit UFA almost every ear, it's easy to get stopgap wingers. I also believe Girgensons will solidify a long-term top 9 role over the next 2 seasons.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I keep seeing lines with Eichel and Mittelstadt. I get the talent level and speed might work together. But chemistry-wise, I never see that type of line reaching potential. Eichel loves the puck on his stick in transition and in the offensive zone. So does Mittelstadt. Mitelstadt isn't the end player that just shoots after someone else does the work. He's the driver of his line too. I don't see those two meshing well.

Eichel needs two wingers who are willing to retrieve the puck, have good hockey sense, and can convert. Players like Girgensons, Asplund, Fasching, Baptiste, etc. are the types of players who need to play on Eichel's wing. And all of those wingers have the ability to play on an Eichel line in the same way Sheary plays with Crosby.

Mittelstadt should be on Reinhart's wing. Reinhart does not need to have the puck to be effective. Reinhart uses positioning, passing, and anticipation to make plays. It worked well with Eichel. It'd work well with Mittelstadt, who can use his speed and skill to take advantage of the situations Reinhart puts him in. Think Domi - Reinhart at the WJCs. The other winger should probably be similar to who plays with Eichel: puck retrieval, hockey sense, can convert. Housley can also use this line to match offensive lines.

Then ROR-Okposo. I think Nylander on that line works great. Nylander also does not need the puck a lot to be great, and he's got the ability, hockey sense, and shot to feed off ROR and Okposo. Nylander is also good defensively, and that line continues to be the line Housley can match against top lines.

If I'm forming future lines, I go with this:

Fasching - Eichel - Asplund
Nylander - ROR - Okposo
Girgensons - Reinhart - Mittelstadt
XXX - Larsson - YYY

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
If I look into a crystal ball at the roster and cap make-up in 3-4 years from now, Reinhart would look much better as a Bogo replacement on ELC in order to fit in a presumably high Middlestadt contract. Okposo and ROR better be worth their weight by that point, but are likely harder to move. I think he ends up being the target of a hockey trade.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Unless there's an injury before he's healthy, I think ERod is ticketed for Rochester. Waiver exempt? Check. Lengthy layoff allowing for the "he didn't have a full preseason and needs reps" out? Yep. It's just the path of least resistance and furthers the development mantra. He'll be up eventually, though.

Agree all around. It’ll be interesting tobsew how the recall battle shakes out in Rochester.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I keep seeing lines with Eichel and Mittelstadt. I get the talent level and speed might work together. But chemistry-wise, I never see that type of line reaching potential. Eichel loves the puck on his stick in transition and in the offensive zone. So does Mittelstadt. Mitelstadt isn't the end player that just shoots after someone else does the work. He's the driver of his line too. I don't see those two meshing well.

Eichel needs two wingers who are willing to retrieve the puck, have good hockey sense, and can convert. Players like Girgensons, Asplund, Fasching, Baptiste, etc. are the types of players who need to play on Eichel's wing. And all of those wingers have the ability to play on an Eichel line in the same way Sheary plays with Crosby.

Mittelstadt should be on Reinhart's wing. Reinhart does not need to have the puck to be effective. Reinhart uses positioning, passing, and anticipation to make plays. It worked well with Eichel. It'd work well with Mittelstadt, who can use his speed and skill to take advantage of the situations Reinhart puts him in. Think Domi - Reinhart at the WJCs. The other winger should probably be similar to who plays with Eichel: puck retrieval, hockey sense, can convert. Housley can also use this line to match offensive lines.

Then ROR-Okposo. I think Nylander on that line works great. Nylander also does not need the puck a lot to be great, and he's got the ability, hockey sense, and shot to feed off ROR and Okposo. Nylander is also good defensively, and that line continues to be the line Housley can match against top lines.

If I'm forming future lines, I go with this:

Fasching - Eichel - Asplund
Nylander - ROR - Okposo
Girgensons - Reinhart - Mittelstadt
XXX - Larsson - YYY

Bolded: There are more ways of retrieving pucks than just using a bull to do it, not to mention, that with Jack you're getting a guy who doesn't chip it in for guys to retrieve. He hangs onto it, to enter the zone.

He(Jack) needs a guy who can find the gaps in the ice, who can get there quickly who can work give and go's with him, that can capitalize on his passes. Casey works best when he can read the play and jump on a loose puck or find a soft spot in the zone. With Jack, Casey would be able to read the plays and find himself with so many chances with the elite level Jack passes at.

Can Casey carry the puck? yes. Can he also be a support guy? Yes.

IMO, his elite skating and IQ will mesh very well with Eichel. Offensively, imagine having Reinhart being able to skate like Marner. That is what Casey is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad