Roster Speculation '17-'18: Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Okay, so here's my idea how to move along. The point really isn't the specific players, but just the idea how to go to next season. I have tried to keep it as realistic as possible, but there certainly are some unlikely aspects (like with every scenario...)

Girgensons - Eichel - Fasching (1 year, 650 00)
Rodrgigues - ROR - Reinhart (2 years, 2 7500 000)
Bailey (1 year, 650 000) - Filppula (1 year, 3 00 000) - Okposo
Wilson (1 year, 650 000) - Beagle (2 years, 2 000 000) - Baptiste (1 year, 650 000)
Larsson , Pominville

Scandella - Carlson (7 years, 7 000 000)
De Haan (4 years, 4 000 000) - Risto
Guhle/McCabe - Antipin (1 year, 1 000 000)
Guhle/McCabe

Fasching doesn't belong anywhere near an ECHL top line, let alone an NHL one. I'm not interested at all in De Haan at $4 mill when we have Nelson working out surprisingly well for less money and he's probably a better player.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Why is Pominville on the 2nd line over Baptiste?

Griffith - Eichel - Baptiste is worlds better than what it was at practice today (67-15-29)

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Please never put Seth Griffith near any of our good forwards ever again. Just don't.

I wasn't trying to say Phil should do it, just saying I think it might be better than Pominville/Pouliot, both who have shown that they just can't keep up with Jack and who for the most part are incapable of any sort of skilled plays in the neutral/offensive zones. I feel that with Griffith's stick-handling and Baptiste's speed, you probably have a more effective offensive line than 67 - 15 - 29.

That line probably wouldn't be very good in the d-zone, but at least all 3 players on that line have the skating ability to be effective backcheckers. Unlike 67 and 29 who can't keep up with most defensemen, especially late in a shift.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I'd love for Botterill to fix the defense at the draft with a couple medium sized moves. Klefbom and Pysyk would make a world of difference on the back end. I think Botterill has the assets to make those types of trades.
I don't consider those of the same ilk as the Lehner and Kane/Bogosian trades. Smaller trades to build around Ristolainen.
Definitely like the idea of Klefbom coming here.
Along the lines of swallowing your pride and going after a former Sabre, I'd take a look at Armia as a possible winger for Eichel. He's shown top 6 potential but is stuck behind so many high profile wingers in Winnipeg.
He's RFA after this season and the Jets have a number of important signings coming up (Trouba, Hellebuyck, Morrissey, maybe even Stastny) so I would imagine they're gonna listen to offers.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The Pateryn dream may be more expensive than we thought. Watching another Stars game and their broadcast crew is again pumping his tires. They know his importance.

I’ve come across a few flattering articles from their local media too, breaking down his numbers. I think they’ll sign him if he’s asking for a reasonable deal. And he seems to like it there.

Reactions: Chainshot

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Definitely like the idea of Klefbom coming here.
Along the lines of swallowing your pride and going after a former Sabre, I'd take a look at Armia as a possible winger for Eichel. He's shown top 6 potential but is stuck behind so many high profile wingers in Winnipeg.
He's RFA after this season and the Jets have a number of important signings coming up (Trouba, Hellebuyck, Morrissey, maybe even Stastny) so I would imagine they're gonna listen to offers.

I don’t think Botterill would have to swallow any pride. Darcy made the pick, Murray traded him, it’s not an issue.

Personally, we need quality NHLers more than anything. I’m down to get any decent players to help fill out the 3/4 lines

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Let's talk bottom six options for next year. Any names people like? I'd like to overpay for a true top notch 4th line center. Someone with speed that can win faceoffs and kill penalties, among other things. Who is that guy?

Prospect wise Baptiste and Malone are two names I think we see push hard for bottom six roles on the opening roster next year.

Then in terms of guys on the roster? Meh. Pominville if he gets brought back, but I think he's bought out. Scott Wilson seems worth retaining. And I suppose one of Girgensons or Larsson is back.

Wilson-Girgensons/Larsson-X
Malone-X-Baptiste

Unrealistic to hope for two legitimate bottom six signings?

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Vinnie Hinostroza for Davidsson + a pick? Thinking Davidsson is still 2-4 more years away from the NHL

40 point winger that plays with a lot of effort. Has been around guys like Keith/Kane/Toews who have probs constantly told him the work he needs to put in to to be successful.

Or what about Kunitz? He can still play and has a lot of playoff experience.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Let's talk bottom six options for next year. Any names people like? I'd like to overpay for a true top notch 4th line center. Someone with speed that can win faceoffs and kill penalties, among other things. Who is that guy?

Prospect wise Baptiste and Malone are two names I think we see push hard for bottom six roles on the opening roster next year.

Then in terms of guys on the roster? Meh. Pominville if he gets brought back, but I think he's bought out. Scott Wilson seems worth retaining. And I suppose one of Girgensons or Larsson is back.

Wilson-Girgensons/Larsson-X
Malone-X-Baptiste

Unrealistic to hope for two legitimate bottom six signings?

I'm pretty done with Grigensons and Larsson. If they're around, I'm hoping it is in a minimal role, though Larry seems to be one of three forwards Housley trusts.

The bottom 6 conversation is in three parts:
1) Who is playing in the top 6? Wilson you have listed on your third line, but he's working on the O'Reilly line. Is it really necessary to try to fill both of Jack's wings AND a LW for ROR AND reimagine the bottom 6? I'd put Wilson up with O'Reilly and not worry about that for right now. Pominville has no business being in the NHL, but by that lineup, he'd be on Jack's wing again -- when he left Jack, Eichel's offensive game took a step up.

2) The third line, what is its purpose? And part of answering that question is looking at who is the center on that line. They seem to have indicated Reinhart isn't fast enough in their opinion to handle the duty and Larsson is actually slower than Reinhart. But Larry has Phil's trust, but they have to determine what the purpose of the line is and slot accordingly. Having no identity, it's just whoever is healthy much of the time, with poor performances simply not being addressed and spares being thrown out there to take up minutes (the same can be said of the 4th line). I'm looking at how RoR played after Eichel's injury and I'm more than ever wanting a quality defensive pivot who can take a serious amount of d-zone starts and hard matchups. That also means the wingers can't be disinterested bums like Pouliot, sloth-footed turds like Pominville, or under performers like Girgensons. They'd have to either create a whole new line or develop something on the fly which would shock me with the job Phil's done so far this year. Does Okposo anchor this line? Do they find him Frans Nielsen 2.0 to be the d-heavy group? I would imagine no, not given his dollar figure.

3) The fourth line, traditional/old school or forward-thinking? If they want energy and some jam, which is widely lacking throughout the whole of the lineup, Malone, Baptiste, and Larsson are options here. I suppose if we have to suffer through another season of unfulfilled potential, Girgensons too. The other option would be to put Poms down there and use him in 2nd PP shooter use, some offensive zone starts and limit the hell out of his slothy-ness but I don't see any team on his limited NTC list being at all interested in the guy after how this season and last have played out.

They have three forwards to play for sure in the top 6 -- Jack, Ryan, and Sam.
They have one guy who seems like he should be in the top 6, but might fit on a flex 3rd line in Okposo.
They have a bunch of possible forwards to play with any of them including guys on the team like Wilson and Rodrigues, as well as possible fits with O'Regan, Smith, Nylander (would surprise), Mittelstadt (would surprise but maybe not as much as Nylander), and Olafsson. There is also the chance they try to find someone in trade (with what, right?) or UFA ($$). Then there is the thought that they take someone like Svech or Tkachuk or Wahlstrom or Zadina and have a premium trigger man to try to work into the lineup.

Then they have the husk of Jason Pominville who can still shoot a puck, but doesn't get into dangerous areas and is too slow to be in position defensively or retrieve pucks. Since he's wearing a letter, I suspect he plays even though his game is at the level Moulson's was to end last season.

So if they fill out the top 6 with the three locks and then three of those other 8 or 9, that leave 5 guys left over. I would suspect Nylander will not be around and would be back in Rochester, but stranger things have happened. Same with Casey as the team-wide trope has been all about kids having to show they can play (even while vets show they can't, and yet get back in the lineup without much consequence almost every night). Any drafted player likely has to overcome that kid show they can play aspect too.

So the overflow spills down onto a disorganized third line without an anchor or purpose.

But if we look at it from the standpoint of what they have now, injecting speed into the bottom of the lineup has paid dividends. Even if they went with something like Housley was forced to with the Bailey-Rodrigues-Baptiste line the other day and used it as an offensive-heavy line, it's not pretty but it could be energetic if Baptiste is actually turning the corner on how to act like a pro.

That leaves a 4th line that could be a 75% d-zone line with someone like some combo of Josefson (who's actually done well in the defensive side of things), Larsson and .... ______ (Grigensons) ? I'm not in love with bringing them back but it is expedient.

Short answer, I'd rather they run the waiver-eligible guys out there in various roles and purge some of the slower, useless vets.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Vinnie Hinostroza for Davidsson + a pick? Thinking Davidsson is still 2-4 more years away from the NHL

40 point winger that plays with a lot of effort. Has been around guys like Keith/Kane/Toews who have probs constantly told him the work he needs to put in to to be successful.

Or what about Kunitz? He can still play and has a lot of playoff experience.

I for one am not interested in dealing Davidsson at this point. Leveraging the cap situation for any team would be novel but the Hawks seem like they should be able to bridge VH and will deal someone like Anisimov instead.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If Pominville, Larsson and Girgensons are in the lineup opening night next season I will be livid and depressed - it's time to turn the page. How do we get rid of them? Girgensons I figure still has a bit of the 1st round aura, though a 'bit' might need a high powered electron microscope to detect Maybe some team out there likes Larsson's pestiness but I doubt it.

I'd be least annoyed if Girgensons was back.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'd love to see the team figure things out with Girgensons... but whether it's the injuries/concussions or his tumultuous development through the tank years, I can't picture exactly what type of game he needs to play to be successful. The easy answer is a Nolan-esque systemless system and lots of minutes... but really though.

Best bet unfortunately, is to probably get what we can for him while teams may still view him as a classic 'change of scenery' situation (and maybe they're right).

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I'd love to see the team figure things out with Girgensons... but whether it's the injuries/concussions or his tumultuous development through the tank years, I can't picture exactly what type of game he needs to play to be successful. The easy answer is a Nolan-esque systemless system and lots of minutes... but really though.

Best bet unfortunately, is to probably get what we can for him while teams may still view him as a classic 'change of scenery' situation (and maybe they're right).

Problem is when every player we have looks better in another team's system...

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
But if you replace Pouliot, Pominville, Nolan and maybe Larsson with true impact players (not even necessarily pointzzz, but just a fast modern game and a solid effort night in and night out)... assuming the remaining lines/players can maintain any kind of consistency... that becomes a pretty comfortable forward group. :thumbu:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

If I had to guess, considering who we have, Girgs would be best suited for a wing spot with Reinhart at center and a shooter at rw.

But that seems unlikely given the current rws available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad