Roster Speculation '17-'18: Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I look at that list and I see a more talented team this season. Really not close to my eyes.

Okposo being terrible, because of his health issues is about it. I see a better defense and an even forward group, with growth from Eichel and Reinhart over year.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

Foligno, Deslauriers, Ennis, Gionta, Carrier >= Pominville, Nolan, Josefson, Pouliot, Wilson
Franson > Beaulieu
Kulikov (broken) < Scandella
Fedun == Antipin

Then consider ROR was inexplicably way below his usual standards the first half of this season, and Okposo's troubles. Kane fizzling out a month or two before the trade deadline since he was over being a Sabre. Etc.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I look at that list and I see a more talented team this season. Really not close to my eyes.

Okposo being terrible, because of his health issues is about it. I see a better defense and an even forward group, with growth from Eichel and Reinhart over year.

If that's how you feel there's really not much to debate... but, what the hell, here goes a fruitless exercise where both of us have something in our head and won't be swayed

Cody Franson > Nathan Beaulieu
Dmitry Kulikov < Marco Scandella
Jake McCabe = Jake McCabe
Josh Gorges = Josh Gorges
Justin Falk = Justin Falk
Rasmus Ristolainen = Rasmus Ristolainen
Zach Bogosian > Victor Antipin

That's just the defense, you want forwards?

Brian Gionta > Jason Pominville
Evander Kane = Evander Kane
Jack Eichel = Jack Eichel
Kyle Okposo = Kyle Okposo
Marcus Foligno > Jacob Josefson
Johan Larsson = Johan Larsson
Nicolas Deslauriers = Jordan Nolan
Ryan O'Reilly = Ryan O'Reilly
Sam Reinhart = Sam Reinhart
Tyler Ennis < Benoit Pouliot
William Carrier > Scott Wilson
Zemgus Girgensons = Zemgus Girgensons
Matt Moulson <<<< Anyone

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

Foligno, Deslauriers, Ennis, Gionta, Carrier >= Pominville, Nolan, Josefson, Pouliot, Wilson
Franson > Beaulieu
Kulikov (broken) < Scandella
Fedun == Antipin

Then consider ROR was inexplicably way below his usual standards the first half of this season, and Okposo's troubles. Kane fizzling out a month or two before the trade deadline since he was over being a Sabre. Etc.

Completely agree. I'll add that Eichel developed positively since last year, but that was more than offset by several players regressing in the beginning of the year. We can only assume that was due to chemistry and new system/coaching staff. By the time they jelled (January) they were ravaged by injuries.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

that's the key.... everything else is noise.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
16-17 17-18
Jack Eichel<Jack Eichel
Sam Reinhart<Sam Reinhart
Evander Kane=Evander Kane
Ryan O'Reilly=Ryan O'Reilly
Zemgus Girgensons=Zemgus Girgensons
Brian Gionta>Jason Pominville
Kyle Okposo>Kyle Okposo
Marcus Foligno=Benoit Pouliot
Johan Larsson=Johan Larsson
Tyler Ennis<Evan Rodgrigues
William Carrier>Jacob Josefson
Matt Moulson<Scott Wilson
Nicolas Deslauriers>Jordan Nolan
Rasmus Ristolainen<Rasmus Ristolainen
Dmitry Kulikov<Marco Scandella
Jake McCabe>Jake McCabe
Josh Gorges<Josh Gorges
Justin Falk=Justin Falk
Zach Bogosian=Zach Bogosian
Cody Franson>Nathan Beaulieu
Fedun<Victor Antipin
Nelson<Nelson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
16-1717-18
Jack Eichel<Jack Eichel
Sam Reinhart<Sam Reinhart
Evander Kane=Evander Kane
Ryan O'Reilly=Ryan O'Reilly
Zemgus Girgensons=Zemgus Girgensons
Brian Gionta>Jason Pominville
Kyle Okposo>Kyle Okposo
Marcus Foligno=Benoit Pouliot
Johan Larsson=Johan Larsson
Tyler Ennis<Evan Rodgrigues
William Carrier>Jacob Josefson
Matt Moulson<Scott Wilson
Nicolas Deslauriers>Jordan Nolan
Rasmus Ristolainen<Rasmus Ristolainen
Dmitry Kulikov<Marco Scandella
Jake McCabe>Jake McCabe
Josh Gorges<Josh Gorges
Justin Falk=Justin Falk
Zach Bogosian=Zach Bogosian
Cody Franson>Nathan Beaulieu
Fedun<Victor Antipin
Nelson<Nelson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Agree with every one but Pouliot

Reactions: Dubi Doo

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If that's how you feel there's really not much to debate... but, what the hell, here goes a fruitless exercise where both of us have something in our head and won't be swayed

Cody Franson > Nathan Beaulieu
Dmitry Kulikov < Marco Scandella
Jake McCabe = Jake McCabe
Josh Gorges = Josh Gorges
Justin Falk = Justin Falk
Rasmus Ristolainen = Rasmus Ristolainen
Zach Bogosian > Victor Antipin

That's just the defense, you want forwards?

Brian Gionta > Jason Pominville
Evander Kane = Evander Kane
Jack Eichel = Jack Eichel
Kyle Okposo = Kyle Okposo
Marcus Foligno > Jacob Josefson
Johan Larsson = Johan Larsson
Nicolas Deslauriers = Jordan Nolan
Ryan O'Reilly = Ryan O'Reilly
Sam Reinhart = Sam Reinhart
Tyler Ennis < Benoit Pouliot
William Carrier > Scott Wilson
Zemgus Girgensons = Zemgus Girgensons
Matt Moulson <<<< Anyone

Completely agree. I'll add that Eichel developed positively since last year, but that was more than offset by several players regressing in the beginning of the year. We can only assume that was due to chemistry and new system/coaching staff. By the time they jelled (January) they were ravaged by injuries.

I like this full breakdown. I would start by saying you are right, not even close comes off like the talent disparity is enormous. I didn’t mean it that way, but I could see how it looks. What I meant was that I think there is a clear distinction in talent. And it favors this year’s teams.

I will say Risto is equal this year as to last. Tho I would hope for improvement from him, with experience and a defensive guru in Housley. Instead let’s say he broke even with his ability from the year before.

Scandella is so much better than anyone we could call their number two from last year it’s laughable. I think I would have to use Bogo as his comparable in roles and between health and actual play Scandella represents a big improvement.

Third best guy, I think I go with McCabe for the purpose of this game and he was inconsistent last year and worse this year for most of the season. I’m putting some of that on Housley, but let’s call it even for talent.

Antipin vs kulikov. Pure talent kulikov wins handily before the season last year, compared to antipin this year. But with that door injury in preseason and acknowdging Housley not giving antipin much play time for the first 15 games or so, in a tossup I say Antipin has been a better player night in night out than kulikov was last year.

Franson v Beaulieu. Franson was not trash last year. But he has obvious issues. Beaulieu at his best is better than Franson, but that happens like three times this year. Both coaching options make this choice harder. Bylsma didn’t play Franson in the same role as Beaulieu played for Housley. But I’ll give the nod to Franson because beaulieu makes me want to shoot him. But very close.

Gorges same.
Falk same.

So to me Scandella is a huge boost to the unit talent to start the year. Call ups for Nelson and Guhle have also been better than any call ups last year, particularly Nelson, who has more or less been the third best defender since Xmas.

Offense

Jack has been better this year than last year and it should have been that way as he continues learn and use his freak body.

ROR is the same talent. His crap play for the first two months is the question. Did he suck purely on his own terms to start the season, bad communication with Housley? Both??? I guess even.

Reinhart, better than the year before. Same concern about his start as O’Reilly, but as a young player he has continued to grow and has been a beast while Eichel has been out, something you couldn’t say last year.

Kane, same as before with better puck luck for most of the year before the trade.

I think Wilson is on par with Carrier with different styles, Carrier speed and power, Wilson east west and better hands, but Wilson came late.

I agree with your choices on gionta and foligno over their counterparts.

The ones you called even, fair enough.

So to me if you go on roles, Scandella tips the scales in this year’s favor substantially. The dips in bottom 6 forwards is there. But I have a hard time with the idea that the difference between foligno and gionta on the third line is more impactful talent wise than bringing in an additional top 4 defender.

But to be fair it certainly isn’t a mega difference. Which in theory is a big problem because this team is on pace to far worse than last year and that is with Eichel missing less time than last year.

Even if we call the teams even in talent, this is a hard fail for Housley. I mean what would be the difference between him and Rolston at this point?

Reactions: Chainshot

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I like this full breakdown. I would start by saying you are right, not even close comes off like the talent disparity is enormous. I didn’t mean it that way, but I could see how it looks. What I meant was that I think there is a clear distinction in talent. And it favors this year’s teams.

I will say Risto is equal this year as to last. Tho I would hope for improvement from him, with experience and a defensive guru in Housley. Instead let’s say he broke even with his ability from the year before.

Scandella is so much better than anyone we could call their number two from last year it’s laughable. I think I would have to use Bogo as his comparable in roles and between health and actual play Scandella represents a big improvement.

Third best guy, I think I go with McCabe for the purpose of this game and he was inconsistent last year and worse this year for most of the season. I’m putting some of that on Housley, but let’s call it even for talent.

Antipin vs kulikov. Pure talent kulikov wins handily before the season last year, compared to antipin this year. But with that door injury in preseason and acknowdging Housley not giving antipin much play time for the first 15 games or so, in a tossup I say Antipin has been a better player night in night out than kulikov was last year.

Franson v Beaulieu. Franson was not trash last year. But he has obvious issues. Beaulieu at his best is better than Franson, but that happens like three times this year. Both coaching options make this choice harder. Bylsma didn’t play Franson in the same role as Beaulieu played for Housley. But I’ll give the nod to Franson because beaulieu makes me want to shoot him. But very close.

Gorges same.
Falk same.

So to me Scandella is a huge boost to the unit talent to start the year. Call ups for Nelson and Guhle have also been better than any call ups last year, particularly Nelson, who has more or less been the third best defender since Xmas.

Offense

Jack has been better this year than last year and it should have been that way as he continues learn and use his freak body.

ROR is the same talent. His crap play for the first two months is the question. Did he suck purely on his own terms to start the season, bad communication with Housley? Both??? I guess even.

Reinhart, better than the year before. Same concern about his start as O’Reilly, but as a young player he has continued to grow and has been a beast while Eichel has been out, something you couldn’t say last year.

Kane, same as before with better puck luck for most of the year before the trade.

I think Wilson is on par with Carrier with different styles, Carrier speed and power, Wilson east west and better hands, but Wilson came late.

So to me if you go on roles, Scandella tips the scales in this year’s favor substantially. The dips in bottom 6 forwards is there. But I have a hard time with the idea that the difference between foligno and gionta on the third line is more impactful talent wise than bringing in an additional top 4 defender.

But to be fair it certainly isn’t a mega difference. Which in theory is a big problem because this team is on pace to far worse than last year and that is with Eichel missing less time than last year.

Even if we call the teams even in talent, this is a hard fail for Housley. I mean what would be the difference between him and Rolston at this point?

Well explained post. While our overall conclusions may differ, many of our assessments are exactly the same. As you said, the differences in talent aren't major.

I find it depressing that the topic to get me through work on Friday was basically "which Sabres team actually sucks more?" :laugh:

The offseason can't get here soon enough...

Reactions: Chainshot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Gorges same.
Falk same.

Offense

Nice post. Though I never want to see or hear the terms “Defensive Guru” and Housley next to each other in any capacity ever again.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Well explained post. While our overall conclusions may differ, many of our assessments are exactly the same. As you said, the differences in talent aren't major.

I find it depressing that the topic to get me through work on Friday was basically "which Sabres team actually sucks more?" :laugh:

The offseason can't get here soon enough...

Honestly the only way I can get thru this season is picking at the details, because the outrage at how poorly this show has been run from the bylsma hire forward has been depressing.

Reactions: Fezzy126

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Despite our record this team has played a better brand of hockey than under Bylsma, of course our talent isn't capable of really playing the kind of hockey Housley is preaching so our record is considerably worse. Bylsma's system protected goalies, this year for the first time in years our goaltenders have been poor, exposed may be the best word for it. Botterill brought in a lot of dreck - O'Reilly's first 10 games were almost enough to do our season in considering he was supposed to be our best all round player and leader. Reinhart was pretty abysmal as a third line center. Once again Bogosian injured, people forget that when he's not injured or recovering from an injury he's a legitimate NHL dman - ask Jets fans. All we see of him is a guy months behind the rest of the players, when he seems to be catching up, out he goes again with another injury.

Housley has been dealt a bad hand thus far.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I can't think of a worse player to bring in to a team that by all reports has issues with their commitment to hard work and getting the most out of themselves than Benoit Pouliot. Young players watching a veteran with the size and skillset to be a top liner who plays 2 good games out of 10. Jordan Nolan showed up just happy to get another year in the league, no interest in hitting or fighting. Nice work Jason creating a new culture.

Pominville I assume we had to take to get Scandella so I can't really criticize Botterill for him.

Reactions: DJN21

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I can't think of a worse player to bring in to a team that by all reports has issues with their commitment to hard work and getting the most out of themselves than Benoit Pouliot. Young players watching a veteran with the size and skillset to be a top liner who plays 2 good games out of 10. Jordan Nolan showed up just happy to get another year in the league, no interest in hitting or fighting. Nice work Jason creating a new culture.

Pominville I assume we had to take to get Scandella so I can't really criticize Botterill for him.

Could've had gionta instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad