Roster moves prior to season opener (Emmerton clears waivers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Cleary is trash, he is costing the younger players valuable minutes and could cost this team games. The team did not really address their biggest weakness, secondary scoring, as I see Alfie+Weiss being only marginally better than Nyquist+Flip+Brunner.

I feel the difference between Alfie and Brunner is more than marginal, but more importantly, I think the top 6 is a stronger unit with two better lines. A bigger picture, holistic approach is more appropriate than comparing players in a side-by-side column. I know the pre-season has been underwhelming, but whatever, I think it will work out.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Lets keep the debate on current roster mismanagement and atrocities. I'd like to know who the hell the Wings are ever gonna sign in free agency in the coming years. No superstars are ever gonna make it to the market.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Damn it, I got sucked into this :laugh:

72M34gF.gif

It's taking me a lot not to mention that Hossa's contract is worth $20 million more so I'm not sure why we treat them as equals... oh shoot.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Lets keep the debate on current roster mismanagement and atrocities. I'd like to know who the hell the Wings are ever gonna sign in free agency in the coming years. No superstars are ever gonna make it to the market.

That's a legitimate problem. The only true star we've seen in the last couple years is Suter. This off-season was a pretty mixed bag. The current one is losing steam, as Kessel is already locked up for 8 more years.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I feel the difference between Alfie and Brunner is more than marginal, but more importantly, I think the top 6 is a stronger unit with two better lines. A bigger picture, holistic approach is more appropriate than comparing players in a side-by-side column. I know the pre-season has been underwhelming, but whatever, I think it will work out.

The top six I consider marginally better. Its the bottom 6 especially the third line that looks like a trainwreck. A third line of Tats-Andersson-Nyquist is worlds better than one of Bert-Andersson-Cleary. This goes right to the heart of the Wings' biggest issue over the last 4 seasons, the lack of scoring outside the top 6. Come playoff time the opponents know to load up against the top 6. Hence the Wings losing a lot of 1 goal games against the Hawks, Sharks and Preds.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hey guys - is Mrazek expected back with the team soon?

Yes. He should return to the roster on wednesday and backup Howard at Buffalo.

I expect him to play against Carolina on friday and Howard will get the saturday start at Boston.

But it's also possible that Howard will start all the games. The next game after Boston game is not sooner than next week's thursday.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
the term or use of the word "on pace" is used solely by the weak in an attempt to inflate or distort reality when attempting to make a point

reason, their is no exact minimum number of universally required games to be played first to even base "on pace" from.

is it 5, 20, 40, 55, 67 games played and then pro-rated from there? what happens if i disagree with your number?

look chicago is on pace to win 50% of this centuries stanley cups, amazing 50 cups over the next 100 years.... what a feat

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The top six I consider marginally better. Its the bottom 6 especially the third line that looks like a trainwreck. A third line of Tats-Andersson-Nyquist is worlds better than one of Bert-Andersson-Cleary. This goes right to the heart of the Wings' biggest issue over the last 4 seasons, the lack of scoring outside the top 6. Come playoff time the opponents know to load up against the top 6. Hence the Wings losing a lot of 1 goal games against the Hawks, Sharks and Preds.

And to add another point, which line showed up as a surprise in the playoffs last season? The 3rd line. Nyquist - Andersson - Brunner. I don't understand how the organization could witness that playoff run and what that line did and say "well, time to head back in the direction we were in 2010-2012."

Last season was the result of everything going nearly the opposite of what Holland and co. intended... and it worked.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Ken Holland offered him 3 years at 2 Million per. Really dodged a bullet there. However, I believe Cleary will retire a Wing. Just waiting on the 4 year extension mid-way through the season. Ken Holland offered the WORST 5 on 5 player in the league 2 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR.

The best part about that tweet is how Don spun it to make Cleary seem like a good old boy.

"WHAT A CLASS ACT. HE TURNED DOWN THE BIG MONEY AND WENT FOR A SMALLER PAYCHECK. IT HAD NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT HE STUPIDLY TURNED DOWN A BIGGER OFFER AND CAME CRAWLING BACK."

Kronwalled55 said:
Last season was the result of everything going nearly the opposite of what Holland and co. intended... and it worked.
Time to pray for injuries again? Forcing the organization to play the kids?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
That's a legitimate problem. The only true star we've seen in the last couple years is Suter. This off-season was a pretty mixed bag. The current one is losing steam, as Kessel is already locked up for 8 more years.

I know. I love Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Mantha, Jarnkrok etc. None of those guys are replacing Dats and Z. They all appear to be at most 2nd line studs on a good team. Not the 2 best players on a playoff caliber team.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
got to love a GM who signs guys to contracts and then hopes they get injured, the worse the better..

Just because you keep making this claim doesn't make it true. Holland signs these guys for many reasons, good or bad, but not in hopes that they get injured.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
the term or use of the word "on pace" is used solely by the weak in an attempt to inflate or distort reality when attempting to make a point

reason, their is no exact minimum number of universally required games to be played first to even base "on pace" from.

is it 5, 20, 40, 55, 67 games played and then pro-rated from there? what happens if i disagree with your number?

look chicago is on pace to win 50% of this centuries stanley cups, amazing 50 cups over the next 100 years.... what a feat

Ya on pace is a hard 'stat' but for using it for range during a half year it's not bad. I could say baby was on pace for 2 goals and 3 assist after 20 games last year

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Just because you keep making this claim doesn't make it true. Holland signs these guys for many reasons, good or bad, but not in hopes that they get injured.

Then why have 17 forwards signed? And be over the cap? It's one thing to think injuries will happen and maybe we call up sheahan or Ferraro who will need to be up any way next year

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I know. I love Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Mantha, Jarnkrok etc. None of those guys are replacing Dats and Z. They all appear to be at most 2nd line studs on a good team. Not the 2 best players on a playoff caliber team.

With the current batch of Wings prospects it looks like they'll remain a competitive team. Playoffs likely, and who knows from there. Unless one of them really surprises, free agency and trades are eventually going to have to fill some major holes, I think we're all in agreement there.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

You can win without superstars. Your team just needs to have very strong depth all the way down.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
You can win without superstars. Your team just needs to have very strong depth all the way down.

Example?

Hawks : Kane, Toews, Keith
Pens: Geno, Sidney, Letang
Bruins: Chara, Thomas, Bergeron, Lucic
Kings: Doughty, Quick, Kopitar (Richards/Carter?)
Wings: Dats, Z, St. Nick.

I'm not saying you can't. But as of late a team with a couple superstars and a great goalie or great D seems to work.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Boston's forwards in 2011 are a good example. Not a top scorer in the bunch, if memory serves me right. Of course, they got all-world performances from Chara and Thomas, so that's kind of factor.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

really?

wasnt that his plan, to take advantage of LTIR? and how do you get placed on LTIR?

he had no plan to make trades to better the team, because every one knew nobody would want any of those scrubs in the first place and kenny knew it too

which begs the question why sign so many players if you know the only way to reduce them is through injuries?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not saying you can't. But as of late a team with a couple superstars and a great goalie or great D seems to work.

I'd argue the Cup win is what made Lucic and Bergeron superstars. If you'll recall, a guy like Bergeron was often in trade talks around these parts as he was seen as a risk post-concussion and failed to live up to lofty expectations for a few years.

But you're right, Thomas and Chara were still legitimately star players even before. The forwards are the best example of a whole unit that was deep and deadly, with the offense coming throughout the rotation.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Boston's forwards in 2011 are a good example. Not a top scorer in the bunch, if memory serves me right. Of course, they got all-world performances from Chara and Thomas, so that's kind of factor.

Not a 40 goal scorer. But still a top 6 of elite level guys. Depth of course. But Tim Thomas was unreal. The team they beat. CHOKED. That team had 2 superstars and at the time Kessler was pretty damn good IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad