Line Combos: Roster Discussion/Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Depending how conservative this 3-4 weeks estimate is, I am actually a little bit relieved. That 3-4 weeks is not end of the world, though I don't think his shot will be 100% right after that. Laine being Laine, it might be enough if he can shot like 80% of his best.

If everything goes perfectly (3 weeks), he is healed just in time for those Colorado games on his hometown Tampere.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Why not give Chinakhov a chance with Johnny after scoring 6 in preseason?

I'd do
Johnny-Jenner-Chinakhov
KJ-Sillinger-Voracek
Nyquist-Roslo-Danforth

Or even just slap Johnsson to to Laine's spot straight up if you dont want to mess with lines that much. A 1st line with Danforth and Jenner is just pathetic tbh

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If Johnson wasn't good enough to make the 23 man roster, he isn't good enough to be playing on the 1st line in the NHL.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I bet he gets the loudest cheer from the crowd tonight as Greg Murray introduces 2022-23 Blue Jackets.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It looks to me like the amount of defensive breakdowns is proportionate to the amount of time they spend in their own end, maybe a little higher.

I think we need a better breakout game from the back end. It's a big weakness for the team. Even Werenski is just kind of average on the breakout pass. Bean and Gavy maybe average, Boqvist I think subpar and Peeke and Guddy definitely awful at it. We can improve a bit putting Blanks in there. People have mentioned Jiricek, and he's a good passer but he's not close to ready, I'm not sure about Christiansen.

Jarmo really screwed this up and it's hard to watch. He either needs to go back to the store for new parts or we're probably going to reek until the Mateychuk and Jiricek generation gets good, which is probably a few years away.

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
Things will be fine again when Laine returns. The bad thing though is that a good team can/should not be this dependent of one player.

Reactions: Marioesque

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Before this past free agency period, despite what Jarmo says in public, this team was in the beginning of the second year of a complete rebuild. When free agency ended the CBJ added Gaudreau and Gudbranson. Adding a star player and a third pair defenseman doesn't all of a sudden end a rebuild when there were so many holes to begin with.

Who on the current roster are "locks" to be here in 3ish years barring unforseen circumstances?

Gaudreau, Laine, Jenner, Johnson, Sillinger, Werenski

That's it.

Anyone want to gamble on any of the rest being here? Maybe throw in a couple young guys that I'd personally like to see more of that haven't established themselves as NHL players yet:

Chinakhov, Foudy, Blankenburg

The rest of this roster we have seen and we know what these players have to offer. Some are aging vets that will eventually be gone or signed to lower salaries with reduced roles. The others are borderline NHL players, some better than others and some that could still improve, that can be replaced with similar players. Anyone want to put your money on what the worth of these players is to this team going forward?

And this hasn't even addressed the goalie position which has large question marks on it's own right now.

The young defensemen in the organization need to grow and catch up to the young forwards that are closer to consistent NHL service right now. The young forwards need to continue their individual growth as well. This will take a couple more years. And in the meantime the goalie situation needs to play itself out or they need to find their guy going forward.

Gaudreau sped up only one piece of this rebuild. Gudbranson didn't help it at all. This rebuild is far from completion. Keep your seat belts on.

Reactions: Halberdier

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
The "window" I see is during Mateychuk and Jiricek's ELCs or second contracts. If you aren't convinced they'll be that level of difference makers that's OK and I won't be trying to convince you, I'll work on that that another time in another thread.

MM's posts about our defensemen struggling in our system prompted me to think about how Mateychuk and Jiricek both project to be players that would absolutely kill it in Larsen's current system, and he may not be able to stay long enough to get his hands on them. If we end up playing a system that would fit the 22-23 jackets in 2024-2026 and vice versa that would be a shame.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Lol.

Hedger already carrying water for the team.

Boudreau took over a bad Canucks team midseason and had them playing at a 110-point pace the rest of the way.

What was the coaching staff doing all off-season and camp?
You said it exactly. What is camp for then? Give us 10 games to figure it out - meanwhile the CBJ digs a bigger hole.

Look - I have been a loyal supporter since the beginning. I didn’t miss a game in person for the first 3 years of existence.

No more excuses - they signed a premier winger and this team took steps last year. I am not gifting them as a fan to take a step back. I am holding the players, coaches and GM accountable with my voice, dollars and support.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Lol.

Hedger already carrying water for the team.

Boudreau took over a bad Canucks team midseason and had them playing at a 110-point pace the rest of the way.

What was the coaching staff doing all off-season and camp?
Boudreau is an experienced coach, also Canucks had very good roster, especially centers like Horvat, Miller or Pettersson. We have 19 year Sillinger, Roslovic and Jenner. But centers are very important in defense. Also it's d-men were better and more experienced. Plus Demko.

Compare incomparable.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It looks to me like the amount of defensive breakdowns is proportionate to the amount of time they spend in their own end, maybe a little higher.

I think we need a better breakout game from the back end. It's a big weakness for the team. Even Werenski is just kind of average on the breakout pass. Bean and Gavy maybe average, Boqvist I think subpar and Peeke and Guddy definitely awful at it. We can improve a bit putting Blanks in there. People have mentioned Jiricek, and he's a good passer but he's not close to ready, I'm not sure about Christiansen.

Jarmo really screwed this up and it's hard to watch. He either needs to go back to the store for new parts or we're probably going to reek until the Mateychuk and Jiricek generation gets good, which is probably a few years away.
Gavrikov is bad in it. Boqvist is better. Seeing him (Gavrikov) shoot the puck into the zone when the player is not up to speed makes me want to cry. I would really try Blankenburg, Jiříček and Kňažko. Of course Svozil too but he has played in CHL. We can't lose anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad