Line Combos: Roster Discussion/Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Is it fair to say Chinakhov has the best left handed shot on the team ?
Depends on what we're talking about here.

Chinakhov has the hardest LH wrist shot on the team, that's for sure. Nyquist is better at picking corners, and Sillinger has a quicker release. Werenski probably has the best release on the team, though, now that Bjorkstrand is gone.

The boring answer, though, is that Gaudreau's shot is probably better than all of those guys, even if he's more of a playmaker.

Laine and Gaudreau looked dynamic in the preseason, Jenner is a fine stop gap centering them but not a long term solution. Sillinger missed most of camp with an upper body injury. I’d like to see him center that line at some point, but his play will have to warrant the extra minutes.

TBH I would prefer to see Kent get an extended look on the top line if he sticks around the entire season:

Gaudreau-Johnson-Laine
Nyquist-Sillinger-Voracek
Chinakhov-Jenner-Roslovic
Robinson-Kuraly-Danforth

This is pretty much exactly what I have, but I'd swap Nyquist and Roslovic.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Hi, Jackets fans, as a big Jiricek fan, I wanted to know if the kid cracked your team and if not, where Is he expected to play this season? Thank you

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Hi, Jackets fans, as a big Jiricek fan, I wanted to know if the kid cracked your team and if not, where Is he expected to play this season? Thank you
Right now he's with the AHL club, could be among first call-ups as injuries start to occur. Personally I'd like to keep him there until he gets a lot stronger and more comfortable with NA hockey (which might take a whole year or even more), but our coaching staff and management aren't exactly known for their patience when it comes to player development. This is what HC Larsen had to say about Jiricek recently:

Cleveland has back-to-back games vs Syracuse this weekend, you can watch both games on AHL-tv for free in case you didn't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldenhands

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Right now he's with the AHL club, could be among first call-ups as injuries start to occur. Personally I'd like to keep him there until he gets a lot stronger and more comfortable with NA hockey (which might take a whole year or even more), but our coaching staff and management aren't exactly known for their patience when it comes to player development. This is what HC Larsen had to say about Jiricek recently:

Cleveland has back-to-back games vs Syracuse this weekend, you can watch both games on AHL-tv for free in case you didn't know.

And he got his knee injured badly as well, was not quite the same when he came back to action, sometime it takes alot of time to fully recover and trust your knee again. I would not rush him either and let him follow the Seider path.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Assuming Laine is out any sort of period

Gaudreau-Jenner-Johnson
Chinakhov-Roslovic-Voracek
Nyquist-Sillinger-Danforth
Robinson-Kuraly-Olivier
Foudy

I say we just plop Johnson on line 1 and see what happens. The season is too young to be toying around with combos and blending the lines. we decided in camp that these were our best setups to start with, so might as well stick to them as closely as we can. Plus, Johnson already has some experience playing with Gaudreau.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Gaudreau-Jenner-Johnson
Robinson-Kuraly-Olivier
Foudy

I say we just plop Johnson on line 1 and see what happens. The season is too young to be toying around with combos and blending the lines. we decided in camp that these were our best setups to start with, so might as well stick to them as closely as we can. Plus, Johnson already has some experience playing with Gaudreau.

That is where I'd put KJ but I don't think we have much time invested in these combos - some of these lines weren't even tried in pre-season.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

Gaudreau-Jenner-Johnson
Robinson-Kuraly-Olivier
Foudy

In theory, the reason why Jenner was put at 1C is because he can make up for some things that Laine/Gaudreau can't/shouldn't have to do. With Laine out, I think they need someone more dynamic with the puck at center on that line. At the risk of asking one of the kids to bite off more than they can chew, it should be Johnson or Sillinger.

I'd go with a top nine of:
Gaudreau - Johnson - Nyquist
Jenner - Sillinger - Voracek
Chinakhov - Roslovic - Danforth

or

Gaudreau - Sillinger - Danforth
Johnson - Jenner - Voracek
Nyquist - Roslovic - Chinakhov

Also keep the power play the exact same, but with Kent in Patty's spot.

Reactions: Halberdier

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Gaudreau-Jenner-Johnson
Robinson-Kuraly-Olivier
Foudy

Lol you realize we have Larsen as the coach?

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Huh. Well. His stats have been suggestive of him being a trigger man, so I suppose it makes a bizarre sort of pseudosense. Sorta.
It'd make more sense if he was the forechecking, go-to-the-net, high-energy passenger on a line with two highly skilled offensive threats.

Weird to put him on a line with Jenner, who doesn't really do anything off the rush. It puts a lot on Gaudreau's plate and makes it harder for him to make plays, since neither of those guys think the game in close to the same way.

I'd be 100% fine with Danforth playing RW1 alongside Gaudreau if they had Kent or Sillinger in the middle.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Lol you realize we have Larsen as the coach?

I think Danforth might be able to work on a top line but Danforth+Jenner isn't much of a skilled line.

My bigger issue is that I have much lower expectations for KJ when he's with Sillinger.

Gaudreau - KJ - Danforth

That would seem to work better for both.

It'd make more sense if he was the forechecking, go-to-the-net, high-energy passenger on a line with two highly skilled offensive threats.

Weird to put him on a line with Jenner, who doesn't really do anything off the rush. It puts a lot on Gaudreau's plate and makes it harder for him to make plays, since neither of those guys think the game in close to the same way.

I'd be 100% fine with Danforth playing RW1 alongside Gaudreau if they had Kent or Sillinger in the middle.

I agree except I have Sillinger as functionally similar to Jenner. If you want skill go with KJ.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Mine are a little different.

Chinakhov-Sillinger-Gaudreau
Nyquist-Jenner-Voracek
Johnson-Roslovic-Danforth
Robinson-Kuraly-Olivier
Foudy