Line Combos: Roster Discussion/Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Derek MacKenzie was an NHL captain
And? The Panthers were mediocre for those two years and he averaged 12ish min TOI. They had McCabe as a captain at one point too. Yikes.

You need guys on the ice when it matters most, actual leaders. Not guys who just try hard. Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final and you need a goal, you think you send Derek Mackenzie over the boards? If you don’t have one of those guys, do 4 assistants.

I like MacKenzie, but that’s a joke. Just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD.

Last edited:

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
My 2c.

The leader sets the tone at all times. You don’t need to be on the ice to positively impact the play. You do it through the way you set the example in the gym or the way you call out the guys who are not pushing themselves in training. You forecheck and backcheck so hard that others are shamed into matching you. You kill penalties with a passion that burns. You play through the pain barrier and inspire others to find more in themselves.

My choice of captain is the one without an off switch that oozes moral fibre…talent doesn’t enter to it it.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I know it’s a hypothetical, but if they chose Kuraly over Werenski for the captaincy I’d want to barf.

4th line player wearing a C? Why

Yeah yeah yeah “skill doesn’t matter for the captaincy”…. it kind of does though.
Do you think Werenski is Captain material?

Reactions: VT

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I know it’s a hypothetical, but if they chose Kuraly over Werenski for the captaincy I’d want to barf.

4th line player wearing a C? Why

Yeah yeah yeah “skill doesn’t matter for the captaincy”…. it kind of does though.
But the "C" could be for Captain Columbus! Think of all of that potetial marketing (I'm kidding)...

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
And? The Panthers were mediocre for those two years and he averaged 12ish min TOI. They had McCabe as a captain at one point too. Yikes.

You need guys on the ice when it matters most, actual leaders. Not guys who just try hard. Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final and you need a goal, you think you send Derek Mackenzie over the boards? If you don’t have one of those guys, do 4 assistants.

I like MacKenzie, but that’s a joke. Just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD.
I think captain being the best player on the team is one of the most overrated things in the sport. Who cares if they are on the ice in offensive situations? Id rather a leader thats involved in the locker room, pushing guys, speaking when something needs to said, leading by example in practice. Foligno was a good player but not top tier, he was a pretty respected captain in the organization and got recognition from outside aswell

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I think captain being the best player on the team is one of the most overrated things in the sport.
Never said they had to be. They just should at least be one of your better players - which Kuraly is not.
Who cares if they are on the ice in offensive situations? Id rather a leader thats involved in the locker room, pushing guys, speaking when something needs to said, leading by example in practice.
Yeah that’s what a captain is..
Foligno was a good player but not top tier, he was a pretty respected captain in the organization and got recognition from outside aswell
Yeah, and I’m not a Foligno fan but he’s still much much much better than Kuraly.

My 2c.

The leader sets the tone at all times. You don’t need to be on the ice to positively impact the play. You do it through the way you set the example in the gym or the way you call out the guys who are not pushing themselves in training. You forecheck and backcheck so hard that others are shamed into matching you. You kill penalties with a passion that burns. You play through the pain barrier and inspire others to find more in themselves.

My choice of captain is the one without an off switch that oozes moral fibre…talent doesn’t enter to it it.
The players doing that should be some of your best.

Go find me a recent Stanley Cup Champion with a captain who wasn’t at least as good as Boone Jenner.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I’m not sure which is more outlandish, the idea of trading Jenner or naming Kuraly the captain after doing so.

If moving Kuraly is crazy talk because of what he apparently brings to the team, Jenner should be looked as untouchable. If Kuraly can’t handle his role now, how would moving Jenner help that??

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’m not sure which is more outlandish, the idea of trading Jenner or naming Kuraly the captain after doing so.

If moving Kuraly is crazy talk because of what he apparently brings to the team, Jenner should be looked as untouchable. If Kuraly can’t handle his role now, how would moving Jenner help that??
FYI. Only suggested Kuraly as captain IF they traded Jenner AND IF they felt they had to have a captain

I already said I want Jenner to retire here

Reactions: Cowumbus

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
FYI. Only suggested Kuraly as captain IF they traded Jenner AND IF they felt they had to have a captain

mackenzie got the C for two years because willie mitchell had just retired. during that time (iirc) they were basically evaluating whether barkov or ekblad was going to step up to become captain material, and barkov did.

if the jackets were to trade boone jenner (personally i think they should, but i recognize that's a really unpopular opinion around here), kuraly would be a perfectly fine stopgap captain (a la mackenzie) until a younger player steps up to deserve it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
mackenzie got the C for two years because willie mitchell had just retired. during that time (iirc) they were basically evaluating whether barkov or ekblad was going to step up to become captain material, and barkov did.

if the jackets were to trade boone jenner (personally i think they should, but i recognize that's a really unpopular opinion around here), kuraly would be a perfectly fine stopgap captain (a la mackenzie) until a younger player steps up to deserve it.

I'll make the obligatory point that Boone is going to be captain for a long time still and likely outlast Kuraly as a Jacket. So this is a pure hypothetical.

I'm fine with giving the captaincy to a 4C if he's an inspiring leader like MacKenzie, and if he's guaranteed to be a best option to stay in the lineup. I'm not sure if Kuraly is that, I could see him potentially getting pushed out in a year by someone like Voronkov, if Kuraly slips even a bit.

I'll put out a darkhorse to be a Mackenzie type for us, Justin Danforth.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I'll make the obligatory point that Boone is going to be captain for a long time still and likely outlast Kuraly as a Jacket. So this is a pure hypothetical.

I'm fine with giving the captaincy to a 4C if he's an inspiring leader like MacKenzie, and if he's guaranteed to be a best option to stay in the lineup. I'm not sure if Kuraly is that, I could see him potentially getting pushed out in a year by someone like Voronkov, if Kuraly slips even a bit.

I'll put out a darkhorse to be a Mackenzie type for us, Justin Danforth.
i'll put out a different one, and people here aren't going to like it, but it's a near-perfect parallel for the mackenzie thing.

grizzled veteran, highly respected, willing to drop the gloves, no expectation of being with the team beyond his previous contract, but buys enough time to have a young guy step up as the captain?

ladies and gentlemen… erik gudbranson.

bonus: it's worth doing just for the memes. can you imagine connor bedard carrying the blue jackets to the cup final, scoring the OT winner in game 7, and then the first guy to hoist the cup is erik gudbranson?

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I was thinking Gudbranson too, he's great captain material in every respect... except for his play. Truly a good case for "does the on-ice play matter for captaincy" debate. I think there needs to be a certain level of trust for the on-ice play but I think he might pass that test, he hasn't made that many visible mistakes afair, and that might be enough if he's a great locker room presence and a team guy. As a stopgap he and the team might do just fine - not sure if you're down by a goal in game 7 of the Stanley Cup final though...

That said, this thought experiment really highlights how important Boone Jenner is to the team, the organization and the franchise right now.

Reactions: VT

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Man what a boost Texier can be if he returns to form. Ive been an advocate of Gaudreau-Jenner-Marchenko Chinakhov-Johnson-Laine but if after time Tex looks like himself he could be the dirty work guy for that 2nd line while not being a drag offensively.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Man what a boost Texier can be if he returns to form. Ive been an advocate of Gaudreau-Jenner-Marchenko Chinakhov-Johnson-Laine but if after time Tex looks like himself he could be the dirty work guy for that 2nd line while not being a drag offensively.

The top6 should be full

Gaudreau/Laine/Johnson/Marchenko/Jenner take 5/6 spots.

The last one should go to a real 1C/2C or Fantilli

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The top6 should be full

We dont know where we are drafting and we dont know how Fantilli or Carlsson look out of the gate. Im talking if we need more grit in the 2nd line because it has next to none. It atleast creates options

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We dont know where we are drafting and we dont know how Fantilli or Carlsson look out of the gate. Im talking if we need more grit in the 2nd line because it has next to none. It atleast creates options

That’s why it’s either them or Lindholm type C.

Carlsson starts in the AHL, Fantilli as 2C with Jenner on his W to help him break in.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
That’s why it’s either them or Lindholm type C.

Carlsson starts in the AHL, Fantilli as 2C with Jenner on his W to help him break in.
So the cost of Lindholm leaves you less assets to spend on the defense and goaltending. I feel like Johnson+boost to the defense is better than Lindholm+likely marginal at best boost to the defense unless you somehow massively overpay a FA

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Poor Carlsson. He has not even been drafted yet and still, he is sentenced to the AHL.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Poor Carlsson. He has not even been drafted yet and still, he is sentenced to the AHL.
He hasnt played a ton of center and starting in the AHL and working until you force your way onto the NHL team is not a bad thing even though we rarely see it

Reactions: squashmaple

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The top6 should be full

Without Boone, I think. His back isn't ideal and, honestly, I don't think he's ideal for TOP 6 long term.

Gaudreau -- Johnson* -- Marchenko
Chinakhov -- Laine -- xxx (not Tex)

* - if Kent is stronger, of course

He hasnt played a ton of center and starting in the AHL and working until you force your way onto the NHL team is not a bad thing even though we rarely see it
I think he will still play in Sweden one season, maybe two.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Gonna move some of the recent talk in here to the off-season/Armchair GM thread and close this one, which was really just meant for in-season discussion. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino