Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Like when he said that a deal with Rod was all but done, when some pundits said it was taken off the table?

Nah, more like when he was confident we could sign Hamilton, and then acted all betrayed when Hamilton signed with another team. And then it came out afterwards that we made one offer to him that wasn't anywhere near market value, didn't hear back from him or his agent (because why would they respond?), and basically treated that as an active offer until he signed with the Devils.

You can't offer a player 6.5 when he's clearly getting 9 elsewhere, then *surprised Pikachu face* when your offer doesn't require a response.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ah, that's the rub right there. There's what they SHOULD know, what they DO know, and what they DO with the knowledge they have. Which will probably be letting the player go and attempting to replace him with lesser parts or pieces that MIGHT eventually replace what we let go.

We've seen it with our 2nd line C, trying to replace Trocheck, and our offensive PP defenseman, trying to replace Hamilton.
It's hard to criticize the Canes too much for how they operate. The team keeps on chugging along as one of the best teams in the NHL year in and year out. 2nd best record in the NHL over the past 3 seasons since moving on from Hamilton. 6 straight seasons winning at least 1 round in the playoffs.

Sure, they haven't gotten over the hump of the ECF, but they didn't get any further in the playoffs with Hamilton and Trocheck as they did without them. Guentzel on the team didn't get us further than without him. Etc..

I'd like to keep Guentzel, but until we see a full picture of the moves, I'm not going to get upset if he moves on.

Nah, more like when he was confident we could sign Hamilton, and then acted all betrayed when Hamilton signed with another team. And then it came out afterwards that we made one offer to him that wasn't anywhere near market value, didn't hear back from him or his agent (because why would they respond?), and basically treated that as an active offer until he signed with the Devils.

You can't offer a player 6.5 when he's clearly getting 9 elsewhere, then *surprised Pikachu face* when your offer doesn't require a response.
So in other words, sometimes what he says to the media you can believe, and sometimes you can't? Sounds like every other GM in the NHL.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I can't see any way in hell they trade Tage for Necas without a pretty significant add (and even then questionable)...though there is apparently debate about whether he's a reliable center (his FO % is about what Necas is)

Cozens, maybe with a decent add on Necas, IF they've really soured on him or are looking for a shakeup...but a young guy on a decent contract for an arbitration RFA who plays similar to Skins?
Cozens more ice time but a lot less production LY. What happened?

Interesting article about his season: Buffalo Sabres 2023-24 Player Report Cards: Dylan Cozens - The Hockey Writers Buffalo Sabres Latest News, Analysis & More

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Waddell didn’t say that they were confident that he was coming over or anything. “It’s not dead” isn’t inherently optimistic.

The possibility has not been on anyone’s radar. Plus, Michkov just got a termination. Don’t pencil him into any mock lineups, but it’s okay to be a little excited.

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
My only fear with Jarvis having a breakout year with that injury is could it be a Rookie of the Year movie situation, where once his shoulder goes back to normal, he won’t be able score anymore?

Reactions: Daeavorn

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
hmmm, I can think of a right handed centerman that might sign somewhere other than his current team on a bit of a discount after the disappointment of his play for part of this season. I still think Boston and 'lumbus are the teams to beat on that one though.
You sound like an agent chatting with a GM, or vice versa, while it's not quite July 1 yet,

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
hmmm, I can think of a right handed centerman that might sign somewhere other than his current team on a bit of a discount after the disappointment of his play for part of this season. I still think Boston and 'lumbus are the teams to beat on that one though.
Think he would sign here over Boston?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Think he would sign here over Boston?
possibly, especially if he liked having Rod as AC, but I don't think we'll have the money available to match what Boston can offer. Only key FAs they have are DeBrusk, Swayman (RFA), and Heinen with the need for maybe a couple more depth UFAs, and they have about 21M to spend to get it done.

We have 27M in space, but we have a LOT more key personnel to re-sign and positions to fill. Though if that speculation is in fact Boom, maybe one less.

Reactions: zman77 and Tryamw

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Lindy? Roslovic would be cheaper but is also another 2/3C tweener kinda

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The easiest solution to all of this without any cap dumps is to simply choose one of Guentzel or Necas and one of Skjei or Pesce. I personally can go all sorts of ways on that front. If you want to sign both Guentzel and Necas, then focus on the Chatfield/Carrier market and let others pay Skjei and Pesce. I like Roslovic as a right-shot center option on the cheap.

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
The easiest solution to all of this without any cap dumps is to simply choose one of Guentzel or Necas and one of Skjei or Pesce. I personally can go all sorts of ways on that front. If you want to sign both Guentzel and Necas, then focus on the Chatfield/Carrier market and let others pay Skjei and Pesce. I like Roslovic as a right-shot center option on the cheap.
With those options I would choose Guentzel and Skjei.

Then sign Jarvis.

Then sign a 2nd line center.

Then sign Martinook.

MyLuckyPuck

Jan 5, 2021
What on earth makes any of you think Lindy would WANT to come back here. Lol It was kind of an ugly split. Remember the whole storm surge/teeth thingy

Reactions: cptjeff

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
What on earth makes any of you think Lindy would WANT to come back here. Lol It was kind of an ugly split. Remember the whole storm surge/teeth thingy
Bigger issue was the owner saying something to the effect he only wants winners or players who want to win in the direction of Lindy and/or Hanifin when the contact talks that had months to go curiously went south and were about to be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad