Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Why don't you guys want Necas?
I’d love for them to keep Necas.

I’d also love to see them make some adjustments on offense to better utilize his natural talents. Or bring in some other players more suited to his play style. He’s an island on the Hurricanes, Martinook and Drury just aren’t the right kind of line mates for him IMO.

I’d love for them to keep Necas.

I’d also love to see them make some adjustments on offense to better utilize his natural talents. Or bring in some other players more suited to his play style. He’s an island on the Hurricanes, Martinook and Drury just aren’t the right kind of line mates for him IMO.
So probably time to move on from him.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
It's Friedman that says that he doesn't think that they'll find a way to work with Necas...and yet, the FO said off the bat to reporters in The Athletic that Jarvis and Necas were the main signing priorities and that it was going to get done. I won't believe the Necas rumors until the fat lady sings.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
It's Friedman that says that he doesn't think that they'll find a way to work with Necas...and yet, the FO said off the bat to reporters in The Athletic that Jarvis and Necas were the main signing priorities and that it was going to get done. I won't believe the Necas rumors until the fat lady sings.
Agreed. Signing Guentzel and moving Necas would be a significant departure from the Borg's pattern.

Maybe they see Guentzel as the exception they need to keep. Maybe they don't think Necas is a fit or see a great player they could get back. Maybe they think it's time to reconfigure Tulsky's models.

But the Borg we've watched since 2019 would certainly sign 25 year old Necas long-term before 30 year old (to start next season) Guentzel.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Certainly would not want to suspect any statement by the team management of an upcoming signing of a player.

1715990110965.png

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Agreed. Signing Guentzel and moving Necas would be a significant departure from the Borg's pattern.

Maybe they see Guentzel as the exception they need to keep. Maybe they don't think Necas is a fit or see a great player they could get back. Maybe they think it's time to reconfigure Tulsky's models.

But the Borg we've watched since 2019 would certainly sign 25 year old Necas long-term before 30 year old (to start next season) Guentzel.

Guentzel could well be an exception, but I see him as a complement to our young core. Again, though, we shall see what happens. We didn't give up a 1st to get him, and though he was a great fit, it's not an absolute necessity to pay him an albatross amount to keep him.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Thank you. "Shoe in to sign" does make sense and the idiom sounds familiar. Though these so-called university dictionaries apparently try to claim it's really "shoo in". BS, it's toeing the line and it should be shoeing to [whatevs].
Wow I didn't know it was spelled shoo-in. TIL!

Reactions: Lempo

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Why don't you guys want Necas?
He's an excellent player when he has time and space. 3v3 wizard and can absolutely light you up on a breakaway.

But the second the game tightens up on him, he becomes a passenger at the best of times, and most of the time he's a turnover machine who routinely sees possessions die on his stick. Come the playoffs, he ends up being a net negative on the ice.

Slapshottothehead

May 5, 2024
I dont see Necas fitting in to Rods agressive system.. he needs to play with skill players. Should be a very interesting summer. I suspect managment wants changes with assistant coaches. Not sure how Rod is gonna take that.... im sure figuring that out is 1st on the to do list....

Reactions: WreckingCrew

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
The way I see next year.

i think the Canes will have Svech- Aho- Jarvis on the top line.

Jordan- Jordan- Fast on the 3rd.

Kotk - Kuzy - ?? on the 4th line.

Need to sign 3 guys for the 2nd line and a right hand D-man to pair with Slavin.

No Turbo, No Necas

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm sorry, but it's past midnight and I'm kind of tired and I can't decipher this. I'm going full Kanye over the fish sticks here.
My typo! Yes I’m meant “shoe in” and not “shoe or”. I’ve been in a first fight with my auto correct since an update a while back. I was running around doing some errands, not paying attention.

ps….SHOO IN!!!!!

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
My typo! Yes I’m meant “shoe in” and not “shoe or”. I’ve been in a first fight with my auto correct since an update a while back. I was running around doing some errands, not paying attention.

ps….SHOO IN!!!!!
I was suspecting some kind of sign in or shoe out, shit or get off the potty type of deal. :laugh:

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I’d love for Necas to stay if we can afford him but we can’t keep trying shove him onto ridiculous lines like him Marty and Drury and then wonder why he’s not puting up more points. Either change it up on our end or set him free. I suspect he’d be a lot more successful in other systems.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Martinook playing on a scoring line is like using a sledgehammer to nail up crown molding.

Having Necas play on a dump n chase, or on a grind it out checking line is like using a finishing hammer to bust up a concrete sidewalk.

Both tools can technically get the job done but it ain’t going to be easy or pretty.

If RBA isn’t willing to modify his approach then the FO needs to give him a team full of truck driving, good Canadian and American sledgehammers. Although I do believe he let the top six play a little more loose during the regular season this year.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Ironically I knew a long time ago it was Shoo and not Shoe. I have no idea where that wire got crossed, but having you be the one to correct it makes me feel as American as a Texan traveling abroad.
Let's be very clear here: I totally thought it would be shoe in and had to look up n amount of them university idiom dictionaries until I accepted.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Martinook playing on a scoring line is like using a sledgehammer to nail up crown molding.

Having Necas play on a dump n chase, or on a grind it out checking line is like using a finishing hammer to bust up a concrete sidewalk.

Both tools can technically get the job done but it ain’t going to be easy or pretty.

If RBA isn’t willing to modify his approach then the FO needs to give him a team full of truck driving, good Canadian and American sledgehammers. Although I do believe he let the top six play a little more loose during the regular season this year.
We have skill who can play the system. Why is it an issue that Necas doesn’t?

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
We have skill who can play the system. Why is it an issue that Necas doesn’t?
Does Necas get regular ice time with the skill that can play the system?

I don’t think he’s a bad player it’s just a bad fit.

And, IMO, instead of coaching to players natural strengths and talents RBA wants guys to play a very specific way. It’s going to work for some and not for others and if that’s how they want to run things then that’s fine.

But there are plenty of examples out there who do things differently and have found success in doing so. Lavi isn’t trying to turn Panarin into a defense first checking fwd is he? Sometimes you just gotta let a racehorse run.

I think some of the guys like Necas and TT have lost the joy of the game playing for Rod. And if the fun is gone then their heart is not 100% in it, it’s time to move on. Isn’t Necas on record about wanting out a few seasons ago? Pretty sure TT is on record talking about how demanding and tough Rod is to play for, years of thinking that way surely has to drag a guy down.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Does Necas get regular ice time with the skill that can play the system?

I don’t think he’s a bad player it’s just a bad fit.

And, IMO, instead of coaching to players natural strengths and talents RBA wants guys to play a very specific way. It’s going to work for some and not for others and if that’s how they want to run things then that’s fine.

But there are plenty of examples out there who do things differently and have found success in doing so. Lavi isn’t trying to turn Panarin into a defense first checking fwd is he? Sometimes you just gotta let a racehorse run.

I think some of the guys like Necas and TT have lost the joy of the game playing for Rod. And if the fun is gone then their heart is not 100% in it, it’s time to move on. Isn’t Necas on record about wanting out a few seasons ago? Pretty sure TT is on record talking about how demanding and tough Rod is to play for, years of thinking that way surely has to drag a guy down.
Funny enough rod had a quote from just a couple of days ago about letting players do the things that make them successful and not just the system.

Brind’Amour said the coaching staff and team have had to adapt to Kuznetsov and allow him to impact the game in his unique way.

“He’s an elite player, and when he has the puck there’s no doubt about it,” Brind’Amour said. “Yeah, he’s got a little different rhythm than most players. I think it probably took us a while to kind of figure that out.

“And then you do have to let certain guys do their thing and be effective within the confines of what we’re all trying to do, and that’s kind of that happy medium.”

We have tried Necas with all of the talent on this team. He doesn’t mesh unless it’s with aho in 3v3 OT

Reactions: A Star is Burns

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Funny enough rod had a quote from just a couple of days ago about letting players do the things that make them successful and not just the system.

We have tried Necas with all of the talent on this team. He doesn’t mesh unless it’s with aho in 3v3 OT
Which may be why he should go. I’m torn on the subject as I’m a big fan but he doesn’t seem to be enjoying himself like he used to and sometimes guys just need a new start.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad