Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I waited to comment on all of this after the doomerist nonsense died down. There's nothing more that I hate than that. We're still going to be a great team next year. Have these folks already forgotten about the Hamilton offseason or, in the context of another team, Boston's offseason last year? Anyone who follows this team with any sort of depth knows that they purposefully do creative destruction every offseason, often involving very good players getting larger contracts elsewhere, but they never touch the core of the team. I'm not going to listen too deeply to the Elliotte Friedman stuff because there's too many moving parts to truly figure out how they're going to maintain team depth (On top of the Necas stuff being contrary to how the FO usually does business, I also think that Pesce is an underrated retainment candidate), but we should be confident that this is a front office group that knows how to do that very well.

Finally, I need to say that the panicking in some online corners also needs to stop about our team "not being good enough". Nonsense. Do people see how long it took the MacKinnon/Rantanen/Landeskog/Makar group to win a Cup? How about Ovechkin's Capitals? How about the damn Lightning? These were all slow burns. The Penguins/Blackhawks path to quick playoff success is what is rare. Most Cup-winning groups look more like us slogging around every postseason.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I offer Skjei the same deal Severson got maybe a bit more 6.5 max. Skjei has more offensive upside than Pesce and his skating will hold up longer. Slavin Skjei Nikishin for the next 7-8 years as the left side. Sign a stop gap on the left side for 1 year then have Nikishin on a entry deal for 3 years

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
God, I’d hate to bring back basically the same roster as this year. I’m looking forward to moving on from Necas, TT, Pesce, etc. Because at the very least, it’s forcing change into a roster that needs it badly.
This is where I don't agree. The Canes don't need radical changes. They will need to do some creative destruction to be cap-compliant, just like the Hamilton offseason and Boston's Bergeron/Krejci offseason, but radical changes are unnecessary. We forget the past history of teams like the Avalanche, Capitals, and Lightning. None of these groups made radical changes after postseason disappointments. Sometimes, it just isn't "your year." It doesn't mean that your team isn't good enough. Hockey is a weird sport sometimes.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I offer Skjei the same deal Severson got maybe a bit more 6.5 max. Skjei has more offensive upside than Pesce and his skating will hold up longer. Slavin Skjei Nikishin for the next 7-8 years as the left side. Sign a stop gap on the left side for 1 year then have Nikishin on a entry deal for 3 years
You mean Orlov?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Slavin - Chychryn
Skjei - Burns
Orlov - Morrow

Friedman on 32 Thoughts Pod:

• Jarvis, Slavin top priorities
• will “take a run” at re-signing Guentzel
• “likely won’t do” what 88 wants
• Noesen “will do well” in FA.
• Creative offers made to Skjei
• Floated KK buyout as possible
• Floated idea of Waddell to CBJ (???)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Slavin - Chychryn
Skjei - Burns
Orlov - Morrow

Friedman on 32 Thoughts Pod:

• Jarvis, Slavin top priorities
• will “take a run” at re-signing Guentzel
• “likely won’t do” what 88 wants
• Noesen “will do well” in FA.
• Creative offers made to Skjei
• Floated KK buyout as possible
• Floated idea of Waddell to CBJ (???)
We would have to pay a pretty penny to get ottawa to retain 50% to make that possible. That 2nd pairing scares me though

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This is where I don't agree. The Canes don't need radical changes. They will need to do some creative destruction to be cap-compliant, just like the Hamilton offseason and Boston's Bergeron/Krejci offseason, but radical changes are unnecessary. We forget the past history of teams like the Avalanche, Capitals, and Lightning. None of these groups made radical changes after postseason disappointments. Sometimes, it just isn't "your year." It doesn't mean that your team isn't good enough. Hockey is a weird sport sometimes.

It hasn’t been “our year” for 4-5 years with most of these players.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
It's blatantly obvious that something different needs to be done. Whether it be core personnel or scheme, something needs to change, because much like Toronto, it just isn't working.

You keep mentioning Tampa, Colorado and Washington, but what makes us comparable to those teams instead of say, the 2010's Sharks?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
It's blatantly obvious that something different needs to be done. Whether it be core personnel or scheme, something needs to change, because much like Toronto, it just isn't working.

You keep mentioning Tampa, Colorado and Washington, but what makes us comparable to those teams instead of say, the 2010's Sharks?

Consistently great regular season records, always near the President's Trophy margins, IMO place Carolina in the Tampa/Colorado/Washington category vs. the Toronto category, who have actually regressed in regular season quality in recent seasons. Honestly, San Jose in their heyday was like Tampa/Colorado/Washington/us in terms of quality, they just didn't translate that to a Cup for various reasons, with bad luck playing some role there. I'm not saying that Carolina can't or won't be the Sharks, but I am saying that our trajectory as a team feels a lot like that pool of great teams like Tampa/Colorado/Washington rather than a club like the current Leafs.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The difference this team needs is dudes that will go to the net. Noesen is priced out so we need at least 2-3. Turbo aint it, necas aint it, etc. we need to move the guys who aren’t and get some guys who are. Thats the change.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
It hasn’t been “our year” for 4-5 years with most of these players.

What's to say it won't be our year next season? Our analytical play has been fantastic, even against the Rangers. Every single time we've lost a series, it's been against an elite goaltender in peak form. Rask, Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky, and Shesterkin. Eventually that dam is going to break with yearly roster tweaks.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
What's to say it won't be our year next season? Our analytical play has been fantastic, even against the Rangers. Every single time we've lost a series, it's been against an elite goaltender in peak form. Rask, Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky, and Shesterkin. Eventually that dam is going to break.

That's Gambler's Fallacy.

Reactions: Tryamw

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
That's Gambler's Fallacy.

Nonsense. That's how building an NHL roster works in the cap era. When the core is as good as ours is, you make moves around the non-core guys on the roster in ways that keep the cap structure of the team healthy. Radical changes every season often leads to the Nashville problem during the end of the Poile years (The Johansen/Turris/Duchene debacle) or the San Jose problem during the end of the Wilson years (not only the albatrosses, but also going all in on Karlsson and ignoring the importance of Pavelski and team depth).

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Teams and players create their own luck. This is year 5 where Brindy is sitting there blaming puck luck for us playing bad hockey and I am just not buying it anymore. You get bounces when you do the hard work to get in position to capitalize on loose pucks. Up until the last couple games we were not doing that, we weren't working hard to crash the net, we weren't screening the goalie, etc. And the PP is a f***ing Trainwreck. Our entire PP philosophy needs a hard reset.

And on top of all of that, Freddie was a mess. You can't trust him in the playoffs again, not after the way this series played out and the meltdown he had with a 3-1 lead with 13 mins left in the game.

You can't run it back with this team. Cut the dead weight and move forward. And extending Guentzel is an absolute must, we need his scoring.

What's to say it won't be our year next season? Our analytical play has been fantastic, even against the Rangers. Every single time we've lost a series, it's been against an elite goaltender in peak form. Rask, Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky, and Shesterkin. Eventually that dam is going to break with yearly roster tweaks.
If winning the analytical battle was what mattered, Bill Peters would be this generation's Scotty Bowman

Reactions: Stickpucker

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Nonsense. That's how building an NHL roster works in the cap era. When the core is as good as ours is, you make moves around the non-core guys on the roster in ways that keep the cap structure of the team healthy. Radical changes every season often leads to the Nashville problem during the end of the Poile years or the San Jose problem during the end of the Wilson years (not only the albatrosses, but also going all in on Karlsson and ignoring the importance of Pavelski and team depth).

You're right. We should build around our core guys. But you seem to believe Necas, TT and Pesce are a part of our core group. They're not.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
You're right. We should build around our core guys. But you seem to believe Necas, TT and Pesce are a part of our core group. They're not.

Necas, I do. Not TT or Pesce. Both IMO only stay if the Canes offer is comparable to the market. The reason why I think both of them are underrated choices to keep is because there is a chance that their UFA market is softer than expected, sort of like Martinook three seasons ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad