Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Talk is cheap. What difference does it make now?
Turbo team friendly deal only
TDA comes back cheap maybe
Pesce walks probably to Isles or leafs.
Skjei would be nice but not likely
Chats should stay.
Necas? Who knows
Jarvy bridge
Guentz but n no more than 8 I think
Kk. Man I don't even know or really care. Trade him I guess who knows
Nosen probably walks. Our luck it's the bruins or isles.

Pk the starter crease. Trade Andersen.

What did Friedman say
A whole bunch of nothing regarding actual
news mostly. He and Marek discussed the Canes’ offseason at length in the latest edition of 32 Thoughts.

The Necas bit was pretty much referencing that the Canes won’t be paying what Necas will want on his next deal.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Arbitration works against Necas. The player wouldn’t like it, but if the Canes want to keep him without making the long-term commitment, they can leverage it to kick the can down the road a year.
Agreed. But if Necas is frustrated, I can see him requesting a trade and if denied, then asking for a 2 year arbitration to take him to UFA.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Another thought - I bet they’d be interested in Ehlers if they strike out with re-upping Guentzel. There was a recent in the Athletic from the Jets’ best writer that speculates as much. Also mentions that the Canes were in discussions about acquiring Ehlers back in 2019.

Seems like he might be a player they might be more interested in extending if they’re scared of giving Guentzel max term. Ehlers had 2yrs on Guentzel. Seems like though it’d be simpler to just re-up Guentzel, who’s they know fits already.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Another thought - I bet they’d be interested in Ehlers if they strike out with re-upping Guentzel. There was a recent in the Athletic from the Jets’ best writer that speculates as much. Also mentions that the Canes were in discussions about acquiring Ehlers back in 2019.

Seems like he might be a player they might be more interested in extending if they’re scared of giving Guentzel max term. Ehlers had 2yrs on Guentzel. Seems like though it’d be simpler to just re-up Guentzel, who’s they know fits already.
Ehlers health issues would be big red flag for keeping him. Add in he is perimeter based in the playoffs

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I really feel like jarvy has the path to be the 2c. Not necas.

Jarvis should be given the shot
I would be 100% on-board for that. I was saying necas because i assuming jarvy would stay on the wing, but i agree that he'd likely be better.

And i'm probably insane anyway because one reason i would want necas at c instead of wing is the hope - and it is just a hope - that actually getting the job would make him take responsibility for it and curb the 'bad" tendencies he has at wing. Hopium in a time of copium.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Agreed. But if Necas is frustrated, I can see him requesting a trade and if denied, then asking for a 2 year arbitration to take him to UFA.
If he wants a trade, his agent better burn up the back channels to find a team he likes that is willing to make it happen before arbitration and willing to give him what he wants.

After arbitration (which i think is going to happen if he isn't traded before), he gets shopped to everyone witb a known price that will likely be much lower than what he wants. You know dundon will send him to his least desired spot, what with all the spite he uses to run the business.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

He could stick it to the Canes in that way, but that extra year is painful for him financially.

I look at what Minnesota did with Fiala in a comparable situation as a potential model here. The writing was on the wall long term, but they needed him as a bridge basically. He signed for $5.1 mil on a 1 year deal for 21-22 and then dealt him in his last RFA year the next Summer.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm sure you know this, but if it's Necas asking for Salary Arbitration, then it's the Canes who get to decide whether it is for 1 or 2 year contract. And vice versa. So if Necas does the asking, I'm not sure Canes would pick the 2 year one, because they'd might want to have the option to either negotiate or team-elect to salary arbitrate him in summer 2025 instead of just handing him the 2 year paper that walks him to UFA.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I'm sure you know this, but if it's Necas asking for Salary Arbitration, then it's the Canes who get to decide whether it is for 1 or 2 year contract. And vice versa. So if Necas does the asking, I'm not sure Canes would pick the 2 year one, because they'd might want to have the option to either negotiate or team-elect to salary arbitrate him in summer 2025 instead of just handing him the 2 year paper that walks him to UFA.
I was working off Big Daddy Cane's theory of the Canes leveraging arbitration to keep Necas around next season.

But I see the post you quoted sounded like he would unilaterally go to 2 year arbitration.

Reactions: Lempo

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
We was in on Ehlers during the deadline.

KK to Utah for a 6th
Ehlers trade
Necas for Joker
Guentzel sign and Lindholm
They better be getting a heck of a lot more than Jokiharju for Necas. I think he’d be useful filler in a trade, but certainly not the main piece. I’d ask for 11OA as well for sure. That could then be turned into roster help/Necas replacement.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
KK is young enough still that there’s probably a few teams who think in the right situation he can be something. Remember there is a lot of stupid GM’s out there I can see someone taking a shot

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We was in on Ehlers during the deadline.

KK to Utah for a 6th
Ehlers trade
Necas for Joker
Guentzel sign and Lindholm

I think we would have a better shot of moving KK to San Jose than Utah. They traded away a center at the deadline and while they will be drafting Cellebrini as a center, they could use an experienced center to fill out the lineup.

I'd also try and trade Necas for Crouse (picks to even out value) from Utah. He (Crouse) would fit into Rod's system much better than Ehlers.

I agree I would try to sign Jake. And I would try to resign Martinook.

Jake - Aho - Svech
Crouse - Kuzy - Jarvis
Martinook - Staal - Fast

Reactions: Unsustainable

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I think we would have a better shot of moving KK to San Jose than Utah. They traded away a center at the deadline and while they will be drafting Cellebrini as a center, they could use an experienced center to fill out the lineup.

I'd also try and trade Necas for Crouse (picks to even out value) from Utah. He (Crouse) would fit into Rod's system much better than Ehlers.

I agree I would try to sign Jake. And I would try to resign Martinook.

Jake - Aho - Svech
Crouse - Kuzy - Jarvis
Martinook - Staal - Fast
Meh that top 9 doesn’t win you a cup. I don’t think Kuzy is a 2nd line centre anymore

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Meh that top 9 doesn’t win you a cup. I don’t think Kuzy is a 2nd line centre anymore
I would agree. But I doubt the dump both KK and Kuzy the same offseason. I would prefer to try and bring back Lindholm in that position, but I don't think we can afford that with the other holes in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad