Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVII - 5 weeks until TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I just came here to say this. He hasn't proved anything on any type of ice yet.

He's riding the reputation of scoring more of his team's % of points than Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Panarin etc. at the same age of like 18-19 years old. It was the most cherry picked stat in the history of stats and our fan base ate it up.
I think people drank the Kool Aid because it was the kind of cherry picked stat thrown around for Buch and it just so happened to work out. If I’m remembering it right, Buch was more impressive to the people that watched him play.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Staple sucks because his heart isn't in it for the Rangers. He's been basically the only Islanders reporter for the last decade so he was like ingrained with their fanbase.

He literally can't go a single article without making an Islanders reference. Keeps referring to them as like a model of what the Rangers want to be and stuff like that. The franchise that went 23 years without winning a playoff series from 1993-2016 is the franchise the Rangers want to be. They have two good playoff runs in the fakest seasons we've seen in our lifetimes and we're supposed to wish the Rangers were the Islanders? Average age of 47 and capped out Islanders? Trotz doesn't even have a neck.

FYI, Staple may have been covering the Islanders for a while, but he grew up as a Rangers fan....

Reactions: egelband

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The thing that truly confuses me is why isn't the front office at least ringing Kravtsov to show they care? Staple reporting no dialogue doesn't help them in negotiations with other teams. They are going to continue to get lowballed when other teams see the writing on the wall. At least if you talk to him and remain in dialogue, you give off the impression that he could come back and that other teams need to pay up if they want him. But, then again, Kravtsov's rights are kept until he's 27, so, yea, I guess I answered my own question.

The Rangers seeming indifference to Kravtsov and the lack of serious interest around the league speak volumes imo. This guy was a top 10 pick 3 years ago and no one will give up more than a 2nd (if that). Another Bobrov special!

Reactions: Anthony5967

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think people drank the Kool Aid because it was the kind of cherry picked stat thrown around for Buch and it just so happened to work out. If I’m remembering it right, Buch was more impressive to the people that watched him play.

Buch was productive in the NHL from the jump. I understand and accept the trade, but its a damn shame that he couldnt be a part of this core going forward. If they dont win one of the lotteries, they probably grab a C prospect and Strome gets moved this past offseason instead. Drury's hands were a bit tied with Laf/Kakko needing bigger roles and having next to nothing at center behind Mika/Strome

Reactions: Anthony5967

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Buch was productive in the NHL from the jump. I understand and accept the trade, but its a damn shame that he couldnt be a part of this core going forward. If they dont win one of the lotteries, they probably grab a C prospect and Strome gets moved this past offseason instead. Drury's hands were a bit tied with Laf/Kakko needing bigger roles and having next to nothing at center behind Mika/Strome
Exactly.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Tanner Pearson with 50% retention could go a long way towards shoring up our third line for the next two years but that'd be a damned expensive acquisition.

And no one wants to give Kravtsov Kakko or Laf's spot- they want to give him Hunt or Gauthier's equally unearned spots.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The thing that truly confuses me is why isn't the front office at least ringing Kravtsov to show they care? Staple reporting no dialogue doesn't help them in negotiations with other teams. They are going to continue to get lowballed when other teams see the writing on the wall. At least if you talk to him and remain in dialogue, you give off the impression that he could come back and that other teams need to pay up if they want him. But, then again, Kravtsov's rights are kept until he's 27, so, yea, I guess I answered my own question.

If any NHL team had some of expectations that some around here do they’d be tripping over themselves with draft pick offers.

The hard truth is that the guy is not a shoe-in top six player and he’s got the additional baggage of quitting on an NHL team because he didn’t get what he thought he deserved. Twice. Best case scenario is he lights it up in KHL playoffs and somebody is willing to take a flier on him.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
If any NHL team had some of expectations that some around here do they’d be tripping over themselves with draft pick offers.

The hard truth is that the guy is not a shoe-in top six player and he’s got the additional baggage of quitting on an NHL team because he didn’t get what he thought he deserved. Twice. Best case scenario is he lights it up in KHL playoffs and somebody is willing to take a flier on him.
Between both Kravtsov and Andersson, it makes you wonder if the Rangers even evaluated guys for character and other things. That's on three people, in my opinion: Gorton, Clark, Bobrov.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Between both Kravtsov and Andersson, it makes you wonder if the Rangers even evaluated guys for character and other things. That's on three people, in my opinion: Gorton, Clark, Bobrov.

If memory serves I think there was an article that suggested Bobrov was the guy filling their heads with lofty expectations of the big club - without really running it by the big club. Lias didn’t do a whole lot more in LA and the rumors there are that he’s in the outs there for the same performance issues as here. Another swing and a miss though I had higher expectations of him (3C/leader).

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Not really that big of a price for a guy you are getting for three years.

The 5th and Pitlick are nothing, and then your typical first and mid level prospect.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
If memory serves I think there was an article that suggested Bobrov was the guy filling their heads with lofty expectations of the big club - without really running it by the big club. Lias didn’t do a whole lot more in LA and the rumors there are that he’s in the outs there for the same performance issues as here. Another swing and a miss though I had higher expectations of him (3C/leader).
I'd love to know the specifics Bobrov was feeding the European prospects

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Toffoli is signed for two more years, following this one. $4.25M per. Not bad. 29 years old. He isn't JT Miller, but that's a solid haul and should set the prices now going forward, in a way. Miller will easily get something so rich that I almost see him staying in Vancouver on a big deal. Who is going to pay 1st+Othmann+Lundkvist+Barron/Kravtsov IF Vancouver were to retain?

Reactions: egelband

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
First big trade and where's Drury? Asleep at the wheel. This team couldn't use a top 6 RW on a good contract? They could have afforded the extra two years by not extending Strome and going cheap at C next year. Maybe could have paid extra to see if they would retain. Although he probably burned his bridges with MTL when he convinced Dolan to fire JD and Gorton so he could take over control of the organization.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
First big trade and where's Drury? Asleep at the wheel. This team couldn't use a top 6 RW on a good contract? They could have afforded the extra two years by not extending Strome and going cheap at C next year. Maybe could have paid extra to see if they would retain. Although he probably burned his bridges with MTL when he convinced Dolan to fire JD and Gorton so he could take over control of the organization.

If this post is satire then well done sir.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Chandler Stephenson really intrigues me. Imagine the third line with him and Goodrow headlining it? Owed $2.75M for two more years, following this year. 27 years old, too. Eichel and Karlsson are locked up as the top-6 centers. Only issue is Stephenson is on an absolute steal of a deal, and Vegas may prefer to keep him as a high-end 3C.
That’s the kind of situation where we can use our cap space to take back an additional bad contract that expires after this year.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
It was my understanding his stats as of THIS year were still comparable to those players.

The only one similar is Kuznetsov who still came over to the NHL and produced in his D+4 season.

Tarasenko was above a PPG in the KHL in his D+3 and was a full time, productive player in his D+4 at .67 PPG.
Panarin even as a super late bloomer had 40 pts in 50 games in his D+4 in the KHL
Kucherov was 65 in 82 in the NHL.

I forget what other names were on that ridiculous list. But Kravtsov shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence at these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad