Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVII - 5 weeks until TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I understand this, but the point is that chicago did not rely on neimi bc they invested more money on the rest of the roster. You like that model better, so I am saying than why not advocate trading igor to invest more into the skaters on the roster and role with georgiev. you cant advocate that igor is better than neimi but the rest of the nyr roster should also be as good as the chicago roster that made up for niemi's deficiencies. every team is going to have weaknesses, chicago had niemi and they covered for it. nyr has horrible depth and have igor covering for that. all I am saying is there is a ying and yang with every roster. I absolutely want to see the roster improved, but I cant just discredit the team success simply bc they have the best goalie in the nhl (again) playing at an elite level that is helping his team win games.
Where they invested their money doesn’t change the fact that they didn’t have to rely on him to win every game. Panarin makes 11 million should we be relying on just him to win every game? No. It’s a team sport.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
That’s where we disagree. I value those guys myself but I don’t think, even combined, that they have value enough around the league to return, say, Turcotte. Teams draft those centers for a reason.

I think we need to move Laf or Kakko to get into that tier, and in doing so transfer our planned future investment from wing to center.

I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised though.

Then we should have drafted Byfield in the first place or tried to work out a trade with LA to gain an extra asset and took Byfield at 2 ourselves or Lafreniere if he fell and had an added asset in the process.

I'm sure Moving from 2 to 1 that year would have netted us a valuable second piece. In the end, we would have had the center our team was clearly devoid of, or Laf+.

It's not like Byfield was a huge downgrade of a prospect from Lafreniere. It was really a no lose situation and that is not hindsight on my part. In some ways it feels like the whole aura of NYR and 1oa was like being blind drunk on ego.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Where they invested their money doesn’t change the fact that they didn’t have to rely on him to win every game. Panarin makes 11 million should we be relying on just him to win every game? No. It’s a team sport.
I dont understand that logic though. You have a finite amount of cap space to use. A team that pays 2mil for a weak goalie is going to have more money to spend on the rest of the roster vs a team paying 5-9mil on an elite goalie. I understand that then opens the aurgument that goalies shouldnt be paid so much, but elite players get paid, so if you dont want to invest big money into an elite goalie like igor and prefer to have the cap space to spend on the rest of the roster than you cant keep him, which to me is foolish

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Then we should have drafted Byfield in the first place or tried to work out a trade with LA to gain an extra asset and took Byfield at 2 ourselves or Lafreniere if he fell and had an added asset in the process.

I'm sure Moving from 2 to 1 that year would have netted us a valuable second piece. In the end, we would have had the center our team was clearly devoid of, or Laf+.

It's not like Byfield was a huge downgrade of a prospect from Lafreniere. It was really a no lose situation and that is not hindsight on my part. In some ways it feels like the whole aura of NYR and 1oa was like being blind drunk on ego.
Uh byfield was always a huge downgrade from Laf in terms of floor. byfield was and is considered a project with a huge ceiling. But there’s a risk he’s not even a 3rd line nhl center. Laf the floor is middle 6 wing.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Unless they retained on Scheifele I don't see how this doesn't make Strome a rental. It would be essentially paying the Scheifele price plus but for the sake of now Strome being a self rental.

I thought the idea was to not pay significant amounts for rentals at this time in the build.
What build? We have a top 5 goal scorer (even if it is an anomaly), Zibby, Panarin, a Norris winning defenseman and a goaltender who could very well win the Vezina this year.

The "build" is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad