Speculation: Roster Building Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I mean, Jesper Fast
Yes, and that was a problem back then also. We are loaded with top wingers yet we somehow are stuck in this formula of putting a grinder in our top-6 because that's what Panarin and Strome want. Then why are we loaded with wingers? If this is the form not only has to Buch go, but one of Kakko and Kravtsov as well. There's no room.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I know I shouldn't be surprised by now, but some great overreactions as usual from here. It's possible that we overpay on Goodrow AND it still is the right move for this team. This is obviously just piece 1 of the puzzle, and without knowing the puzzle Drury is trying to create I think its premature to go too crazy on (a not official) contract just yet.

It's possible he has a steal of a deal for Buch lined up and Buch wants a similar overpay. He might have wanted to get some battle tested, competent winger in here before handing the keys fully over to Kakko/Kravtsov and letting Buch go.

It's also possible hes making a big mistake, we get a meh deal for Buch and he signs a team friendly deal elsewhere.

It's also possible Buch is actually in the long term plans (all though I doubt it personally) and it's Kakko or Kravtsov they are moving.

And a whole lot of other options. Personally I am reserving full judgement until I see how the rest of this offseason plays out.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm fine with trading away Buch if we can get a good center in return. What I'm not fine with, is still playing either Kakko or Kravtsov in the 3rd line after Buch is gone because we need to put a 4th liner next to Panarin becase Strome is a shitty as center and can't do the job he is supposed to, instead forcing a winger to do it.

if it works, who f***ing cares? I don't think this is the avenue they're trying to go down but again, who cares if it works?

And he's not a 4th liner. He was 5th in TOI for Tampa during the postseason (8th during the regular season, which still puts him in the top 9.)

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Buch was gone the second we won the draft lottery after handing Kreider his contract. Goodrow isn’t taking Buch’s spot. You can’t pay for 2 1st line wingers and have your top 3 prospects be wingers. There’s no room to pay for Buch. There hasn’t been for a while now.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yes, and that was a problem back then also. We are loaded with top wingers yet we somehow are stuck in this formula of putting a grinder in our top-6 because that's what Panarin and Strome want. Then why are we loaded with wingers? If this is the form not only has to Buch go, but one of Kakko and Kravtsov as well. There's no room.

Spreading out minutes and having depth is also called a good thing. Goodrow playing even strength minutes with Panarin and prime PK is fine. Give Kaako and Kravtsov PP time and they all would be around 15-17 minutes a night more than likely.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
if it works, who f***ing cares? I don't think this is the avenue they're trying to go down but again, who cares if it works?
Because it's not a proper use of our assets. I know Panarin and Strome work as a duo, but in the long term I don't think that can be the solution. We can't put one of our top skilled wingers there, because it just doesn't work. They are not built that way. What that line could use, is a guy like Landeskog or Tkachuk. But that's a pipe dream. So instead, we put a less skilled version of that type there in the form of Fast, Blackwell and maybe Goodrow now.

And in the process we continue to play either Kakko or Kravtsov with 3rd line minutes and probably no PP time.

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017
AV never said it.

Quinn said it but the teams play suggested otherwise. Part of that was roster construction too, but we never played aggressive.

the guy we hired has a track record of playing that way. Something tells me the team will follow suit.

This has nothing to do with Wilson. Goodrow isn’t going to be the guy to put fear into the heart of Wilson anyway.

Vigneault Admits Glass' Shortcomings

AV literally says it here and said it a bunch of times with Callahans play. They all say it because that's what everyone likes to hear. "Skill and grit, play tougher, two way play" etc. etc. It's the equivalent to corporate buzzwords.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Spreading out minutes and having depth is also called a good thing. Goodrow playing even strength minutes with Panarin and prime PK is fine. Give Kaako and Kravtsov PP time and they all would be around 15-17 minutes a night more than likely.
If only that would happen. But I doubt it. What is going to change in terms of the PP for next season? So we still have one of the guys Kakko or Kravtsov eating 3rd line minutes.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
“We’re trying to look at all different ways to make the team better,” Drury said. “That’s a piece that we have, and if we can make the team better with moving that pick, or another pick, or players, we’ll look at everything.

“Put it this way: We’re always looking, every day, at ways we can be better and ways we can reach our goal (to make the playoffs) next year. We’re going to look at every single way we can — whether it’s trades, draft, you name it. We’re just trying to be better.

“Whether it’s aggressive or non-aggressive, we’re always trying to look for different ways to help the team be as good as we can be and keep moving the ball forward toward our goal of being a playoff team this year.”

State of the Rangers before the drafts: GM Chris Drury on adding Barclay Goodrow, Kraken decisions and more

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I read Carp’s latest so you don’t have to.

Bullet points:

- thinks Goodrows contract is a bit too long but AAV is less than expected
- he expects the Rangers to make a big play for Coleman and maybe Cizikas
- if DeAngelo doesn’t get taken by Seattle (lol), they’re planning to buy him out Thursday
- mentioned Buchnevich as a trade candidate going into the weekend
- No mention of Strome

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Because it's not a proper use of our assets. I know Panarin and Strome work as a duo, but in the long term I don't think that can be the solution. We can't put one of our top skilled wingers there, because it just doesn't work. They are not built that way. What that line could use, is a guy like Landeskog or Tkachuk. But that's a pipe dream. So instead, we put a less skilled version of that type there in the form of Fast, Blackwell and maybe Goodrow now.

And in the process we continue to play either Kakko or Kravtsov with 3rd line minutes and probably no PP time.

Finding combinations that work sounds like the best use of our assets. I'm not game with him being shoehorned into a spot, especially if it doesn't work because thats DQ shit and was arguably his biggest fault. If it works, then again, who really cares?

Why wouldn't Kakko or Kravtsov get PP time? They probably (okay definitely) won't get PP1 time, but theres another unit and Quinn isn't here anymore. Are we running under the assumption that Gallant is going to deploy his lines similarly to DQ? I wouldn't.

Reactions: LOFIN and LokiDog

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If the Islanders, Devils or Flyers gave Goodrow 6 years/24 mil....

We would all be laughing our sick heads off in here in celebration.

Well if you need to be picked up, the Cizikas extension will make us feel better about this.

Plus, the Devils just traded a 2nd+for Ryan Graves, who just spent the entire playoffs looking like he should have been buried in his surname.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I read Carp’s latest so you don’t have to.

Bullet points:

- thinks Goodrows contract is a bit too long but AAV is less than expected
- he expects the Rangers to make a big play for Coleman and maybe Cizikas
- if DeAngelo doesn’t get taken by Seattle (lol), they’re planning to buy him out Thursday
- mentioned Buchnevich as a trade candidate going into the weekend
- No mention of Strome
Please god no 4th line grit bidding war with NYI

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
How do we feel about this list

Pretty much what we expected.

Sillinger, Svechkov, Raty, L'Heureux. I assume names like McTavish and Lucius not included because they are higher up the board.

Interesting that he'd mention a winger or a defenseman in Coronato or Lambos but then again the draft is all about BPA generally. You can't discount that one of them might just be the best value, depending on where we have them on our board.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Vigneault Admits Glass' Shortcomings

AV literally says it here and said it a bunch of times with Callahans play. They all say it because that's what everyone likes to hear. "Skill and grit, play tougher, two way play" etc. etc. It's the equivalent to corporate buzzwords.

Thats one player.

He never wanted his team to play that way. Never. It was turn the other cheek x1000000 with him.

Even if he said he wanted his team to play aggressive and heavier, they never did. Don't focus so much on what the coaches say, watch how their teams perform.

Reactions: pld459666
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad