Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXIII - 2 months until TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think it's a logical reaction.

Why isn't our best player playing against a top division rival?
Maybe Gallant doesn’t want them getting a ton of looks at Igor? This isn’t the first time that he has done this. Kind of weird but Gallant has gotten more right than he has wrong this season.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Need to improve transition and moving the puck. Chychrun is an obvious upgrade and helps A LOT... now and future.

Besides a PMD, finding a great skating middle6 2way Center to help, is not easy and at this point, a unicorn.

Could settle for adding some stronger 2way depth... a player like Lekhonen ...

I'd be completely content with Chychrun and Lekhonen. Let the kids fill out the top9 wing spots. Sure, if a guy like R.Smith becomes available, but how much will he cost? Are we giving up 1sts for rentals? meh.

Kreider Zibanejad Lafreniere
Panarin Strome Chytil/R.Smith
Lekhonen Goodrow Kakko
Hunt Rooney Reaves

Lindgren Fox
Chychrun Trouba
KAM Schneider

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Need to improve transition and moving the puck. Chychrun is an obvious upgrade and helps A LOT... now and future.

Besides a PMD, finding a great skating middle6 2way Center to help, is not easy and at this point, a unicorn.

Could settle for adding some stronger 2way depth... a player like Lekhonen ...

I'd be completely content with Chychrun and Lekhonen. Let the kids fill out the top9 wing spots. Sure, if a guy like R.Smith becomes available, but how much will he cost? Are we giving up 1sts for rentals? meh.

Kreider Zibanejad Lafreniere
Panarin Strome Chytil/R.Smith
Lekhonen Goodrow Kakko
Hunt Rooney Reaves

Lindgren Fox
Chychrun Trouba
KAM Schneider

What's the cost for Chychrun in your scenario here?

Probably Miller, FWIW.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
You're not going to like the answer

Well assuming that I would have pencilled in Nils into one of the long term spots on D, if he's the main piece going for Chychrun, who then is a long term spot on D, I don't hate it.

The problem is, if it's not just Nils but also a first and Kravtsov, then yeah, I'm out.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Well assuming that I would have pencilled in Nils into one of the long term spots on D, if he's the main piece going for Chychrun, who then is a long term spot on D, I don't hate it.

The problem is, if it's not just Nils but also a first and Kravtsov, then yeah, I'm out.

Thats still a really slanted deal towards the Rangers.

First is going to be back half of the 1st.

Kravstov is a wildcard

Nils looks like a run of the mill 3rd pairing D long term.

For a top 4 defender singed at 4.5 for 3 seasons beyond this one.[/QUOTE]

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Thats still a really slanted deal towards the Rangers.

First is going to be back half of the 1st.

Kravstov is a wildcard

Nils looks like a run of the mill 3rd pairing D long term.

For a top 4 defender singed at 4.5 for 3 seasons beyond this one.

Jack Eichel just cost Peyton Krebs (future potential 2nd line center), Alex Tuch (current middle 6 forward), and a future first which will also be late. Yes Buffalo also got a 2nd but had to give Vegas a third, so those two assets basically cancel out (Vegas gives a late second and gets back an early third, the difference is what, like 10-15 selections?)

You are undervaluing what our assets are and overestimating what these traded veterans cost.

Chychrun is not an All Star Caliber player. At best he should have Jacob Trouba stock, and the cost for Trouba was a 20-something first round pick and Neal Pionk.

A first, Kravtsov, Nils, and anything else is an overpay for Chychrun. That package should bring back a 1C or at worst a long term 2C.

Also this new take that Lundkvist sucks because people noticed some turnovers in his first 20 career games is so rushed that it's patently ridiculous. Again, most of his metrics grade out quite well, frankly, better than Miller has this season, and it's Miller's second season versus Lundkvist's first.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Jack Eichel just cost Peyton Krebs (future potential 2nd line center), Alex Tuch (current middle 6 forward), and a future first which will also be late. Yes Buffalo also got a 2nd but had to give Vegas a third, so those two assets basically cancel out (Vegas gives a late second and gets back an early third, the difference is what, like 10-15 selections?)

You are undervaluing what our assets are and overestimating what these traded veterans cost.

Chychrun is not an All Star Caliber player. At best he should have Jacob Trouba stock, and the cost for Trouba was a 20-something first round pick and Neal Pionk.

A first, Kravtsov, Nils, and anything else is an overpay for Chychrun. That package should bring back a 1C or at worst a long term 2C.

The circumstances for those players couldn't be any more different though.

Eichel wanted out AND had major surgery. His looming NMC was basically already in place too as no team was going to trade for him with out knowing that he wanted to play with them.

Trouba was a year away from UFA and had 2 teams he was willing to extend with.

Chychrun is 100% an all star caliber player with out any no trade/movement rights and 3+ years of control left. These things matter.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

Eichel wanted out AND had major surgery. His looming NMC was basically already in place too as no team was going to trade for him with out knowing that he wanted to play with them.

Chychrun is 100% an all star caliber player with out any no trade/movement rights and 3+ years of control left. These things matter.
Chychrun is on a great contract for what he does.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

If Chychrun is "100%" an all star caliber player how come he hasn't made any all star games in his first like 6 years in the league?

He's not an All Star caliber player. At 23 years old, he might become one, but at this stage he's a solid second pair defender who might be a top pair defender someday or at least would look good next to a Norris caliber defender.

I understand the biggest appeal about him is that he's under contract at a very affordable rate which would be important to us, but we have even more affordable players on ELCs so I'm not really in that much of a hurry on that front.

You can say "these things matter," but I'm left questioning why it matters to us. So if we can get an Eichel type as long as he wants out for the same price, I'll just wait till I find that player. Or I'll wait till the next Mark Stone becomes available that I can get for one of my many Erik Brannstrom level defensive prospects.

That is what is more important to this franchise.

If Chychrun's situation is so different than an Eichel or a Trouba, I still do not see why the Rangers then must be forced to pay those exhorbitant higher prices. Just wait for the next Eichel or Trouba situation.

Frankly looking at this I'm thinking Chychrun is getting terribly overvalued here and I suspect he'd be another big name we are importing that is a non-elite let down, just like Trouba has been.

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If Chychrun is "100%" an all star caliber player how come he hasn't made any all star games in his first like 6 years in the league?

He's not an All Star caliber player. At 23 years old, he might become one, but at this stage he's a solid second pair defender who might be a top pair defender someday or at least would look good next to a Norris caliber defender.

I understand the biggest appeal about him is that he's under contract at a very affordable rate which would be important to us, but we have even more affordable players on ELCs so I'm not really in that much of a hurry on that front.

You can say "these things matter," but I'm left questioning why it matters to us. So if we can get an Eichel type as long as he wants out for the same price, I'll just wait till I find that player. Or I'll wait till the next Mark Stone becomes available that I can get for one of my many Erik Brannstrom level defensive prospects.

If Chychrun's situation is so different than an Eichel or a Trouba, I still do not see why the Rangers then must be forced to pay those exhorbitant higher prices. Just wait for the next Eichel or Trouba situation.

Frankly looking at this I'm thinking Chychrun is getting terribly overvalued here and I suspect he'd be another big name we are importing that is a non-elite let down, just like Trouba has been.

Because there wasn't an all star game last season.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
@mas0764

Now, I could get behind an effort to obtain EP.

But its going to be Nils, Vitali +++

That would be emptying the war chest

That is worth emptying the war chest. You give up Nils and Vitali but you've just cemented the hardest hole on your team to fill for the next 10 years. You will never need to rent to fill top 6 center again. Every player you put next to him will now be playing with a 70 point center. This is the spot that you need to hold your assets in reserve to fill.

Once you have him you are golden. He's your 1C if Mika declines, and then it's a lot easier to find a 2C behind Pettersson later since you have dynamic wings in Kakko and Laf. If Mika stays good then you have one of the best 1-2 punches in the league down the middle.

That should be the target. Once you fill that hole then you can rent till your hearts content with all your extra pieces.

Last edited:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

He's been a top pairing defenseman or close to it the last 3 years based on the same player card you just posted. Plus he's 23 and on a contract that is below market value. He's a much better asset than Trouba was when he was on the block for comparison based on that alone.

Reactions: Do you want ants

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
According to Hockey Reference he was not making it regardless.

Jakob Chychrun Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

You are kidding yourself if you think the leading goal scorer amongst dmen who plays on the worst team in the league wasn't making it. Every team must have a player.

If you don't want Chychrun, that's fine. I don't think he's a fit either. Making up nonsense like that just makes you look stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad