Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
My brother his "occupation" says it all. It's not worth engaging, but the Eric Staal trade here is very similar to this hypothetical Giroux trade.
It's true but Eric Staal was already having the worst year of his career points-wise when coming here. Giroux is at 0.91 P/GP this year and looks good IMO. Imagine the offense if we got another star player who can play with Panarin since apparently Zibanejad and him dont mix...

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I am really hoping Barron steps in to the lineup and solidifies the bottom 6 temporarily. If he can be another Rooney/Goodrow type, that would be huge. Chytil/Gauthier/Hunt/McKegg being total zeroes, the bottom 6 needs a different look.

Also good to hear Gallant is considering Laf on RW. The best thing for the team is to have Laf/Kakko playing top 6 minutes.

Not even gonna touch the 3rd pair situation. Its a clusterf***
Me too. Even if he doesn’t, and then decide to send him back down, fine. But he needs to get some games to at least evaluate the progress he’s made in the last year and change almost 2 years.
I get not wanting to just throw him out on 4th line.
But I really can’t watch McKegg anymore. He’s fast and that’s it.
Any good he does likely occurs by accident at this point

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Would anyone have an issue with brining back Derek Stepan on a 1 year deal if the Hurricanes let him walk this summer. Trade Chytil for an upgrade for the playoffs. Stepan has the same amount of goals as Chytil, better on faceoffs and at this point in his career, won’t be expensive.

We need to see what he can do when the Rangers play the Canes. Stepan was slow in the pre-2015/16 era when skating became so much of a thing but he made up for it with his smarts.

If his other skills have diminished by a substantial amount, not worth it.

Reactions: leetch99

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Would anyone have an issue with brining back Derek Stepan on a 1 year deal if the Hurricanes let him walk this summer. Trade Chytil for an upgrade for the playoffs. Stepan has the same amount of goals as Chytil, better on faceoffs and at this point in his career, won’t be expensive.

Want nothing to do with Stepan as a player anymore.

Once he retires, I want him offered a job in whatever capacity he’s interested in. Scouting, player dev, coaching, whatever.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
No to giroux, we don't need another rhs at this point if there are other options, and flyers would want a ransom from us.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
You can criticize the Rangers’ performance last night, but upon seeing Hajek’s statline…a theory it might have been 95% his fault arises from the subconscious.

-4 goals and -18 shot attempts…:groucho:
Just using your post as a jumping off point here, for anyone who didn't watch the game live, it was staggering how often Hajek was leading directly to Vegas chances and goals. I personally think he stinks and will never be an NHL defenseman here. MAYBE he can carve out a career absorbing minutes on a bottom feeder, but he's so bad at managing the puck he makes Marc Staal seem like Adam Fox. Then you factor in his poor positional play and his inability to do anything but run around like a chicken with its head cut off in the D zone, it's amazing that he's played the minutes he has on a team that is winning games this season. He was so atrociously bad last night he shouldn't see the ice again this season here for the Rangers.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Evaluate Strome in the POs. Does he deliver? If we aren’t a strong contender with him, we should let him walk.

In the summer:
Georgiev and Nemeth 1m retained for Kailer Yamamoto

Kailer Yamamoto and Nils Lundkvist to MTL for Cole Caufield

Chytil, our 22’ 1st and our 22’ 2nd for Yanni Gourde at 50%

Kreidet-Ziba-Kravy
Panarin-Barron-Caufield
Goodrow-Gourde-Kakko
Reeves/Hunt-Rooney-Blais
Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Jones-Schneider
Shesty
X

So who did you trade Laf to and for what? Haha.

Reactions: Ola

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
So who did you trade Laf to and for what? Haha.
With how cap strapped the oilers are, they're not adding nemeth (who has a NTC thats likely to include the oilers), and trading away a young controllable piece.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Darn I got forgot Laf.

Seriously though, that post was all about Cole Canfield.

1. MTL got a new management, but there is bad blood there. What does he bring? He plays a fast game, besides having a tremendous nose for the net, he is a really opportunitstic and creative player offensively. I would love to get him.

2. If we get him, where do we play him? I don’t think he is a great fit with Kreids and Ziba. Their games are so calculated and more N-S than really fits Caufield. But boy, Panarin and Caufield would love each other.

3. If you have a Panarin-C-Caufield line, who should center it? The requirements on that center is a lot different than if you have a Panarin-C-Hunt line. A lot different. All of a sudden you got a spot that Barron could do really well in.

Reactions: bhamill

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Problem is it’s 2 months plus till the trade deadline and no one’s selling yet even the Yotes

As for the D like it or not when Nemeth is back he’s in then rotate Jones or Lundkvist . That’s what’s happening W the taxi

Tinordi and Hajek are just fillers. I can’t see then in the playoffs . Likely both waived or traded at some point

Last edited:
Reactions: bleedblue94

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Any update on Sammy blais, wonder if he'd be available for playoffs
That would be great and a real boost . He is like a bull in a China shop though....and I wonder just how long he could go without being hurt ? It's hard to tell that type of player though to tone things down...so may as well wind him up and watch him go.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Edmonton won't trade him to a team that could win a cup instantly with him. It'd be for a boat of futures. Everything else doesn't matter because McDavid has no forcing mechanism besides sitting out.
I'm not sure it would be an instant Cup with him here . I think we would still have some holes that needed filling as for sure we lose a couple of key guys . Maybe that situation looks different in two years with KK and Laf and Miller our leaders and not Panarin/Zibs .

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Kakko, Laf, Chytil and Kravtsov have a combined 30 NHL points this season.

Panarin, Strome, Zibanejad, Kreider EACH have 30 points, essentially. The vet forwards are doing their jobs. If the kids were on schedule, this team would look a lot more dangerous. It's actually incredible where they are in the standings right now.
Two words.....POWER PLAY !

Reactions: CLW

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Everyone is freaking out about Tinordi but this is not uncommon. Declining veterans have been given opportunities in all major sports for decades and decades. It's very rare when a vet plays like half a season and is just waived and it has happened here a few times with Patrick Rissmiller and Donald Brashear. Taylor Pyatt and Aron Asham didn't last very long in their second season which was AV's first.

Gallant also had him and knows him before.

This fanbase is forever PTSD'd from the dark ages and anytime an average to below average veteran is playing over a shiny new prospect after game five, it's time to get out the eyeliner, put on the Dashboard Confessional, and bring up Middleton, Ridley/Miller, Zubov, Norstrom and the Jessiman/McLirath/Andersson picks.

The bottom pair will get to where it needs to be soon.

Great post Roo Returns.....I give the benefit of the doubt to ex coach of the year Turk Gallant and Gord Murphy defensive coach . They have a better NHL Win record then all of us armchair experts . There is always the big picture and long game in play . Patience ....100 % . I also understand how we all think we know all the answers and reasons....even though we don't .

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Time for Barron to pass McKegg. And hopefully after a rest, or sometime soon, at least, Jones cements a spot in the lineup.

Barron can be one of the bottom 6 additions the Rangers will probably looking for at the deadline. It would be foolish to not give him a serious run of games to see what he can be.

Reactions: egelband

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
That would be great and a real boost . He is like a bull in a China shop though....and I wonder just how long he could go without being hurt ? It's hard to tell that type of player though to tone things down...so may as well wind him up and watch him go.

i like Blais game, he was hitting everything. see giroux mentioned earlier, still annoys that we took bobby sanguinetti over him.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce