Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXVIII: Big Trouba in Little Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Miller is getting to the point where proposing Miller for Trouba straight up won't get you laughed at.

it will. by us.

Miller for Trouba+ has to be the way id be looking at it if im Gorton.

The top scoring player..for the top scoring team in the NHL...yeah, Im going to want more than Winnipegs 3rd pairing right defenseman.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
it will. by us.

Miller for Trouba+ has to be the way id be looking at it if im Gorton.

The top scoring player..for the top scoring team in the NHL...yeah, Im going to want more than Winnipegs 3rd pairing right defenseman.

That's just silly. Trouba has a shot to be a #1 D. Seems like his floor is not much lower than a #2 D. Those don't exactly grow on trees. I don't want to trade Miller, but if it's him straight up for Trouba it's hard to turn that down.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Miller going to sustain this? Does Gorton know?

Will Skjei continue to progress?

I agree we need another D man... I'd hate to make this decsision.

Now Zucc... due to age, size and contract status I'd be more willing.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
That's just silly. Trouba has a shot to be a #1 D. Seems like his floor is not much lower than a #2 D. Those don't exactly grow on trees. I don't want to trade Miller, but if it's him straight up for Trouba it's hard to turn that down.

is he or is he not their 3rd pairing right defenseman?

he is isnt he?

there's nothing i said wrong there.

all im saying is if im the GM of this team, and someone offered me Miller for Trouba...id probably turn them down right now.

again...the top scoring player for the top scoring team in the NHL.

obviously its early, but theres nothing incorrect about that statement is there?

i mean, if you ask any of the top scoring players of the past 10 years, if they would trade their top scoring player for the 3rd best right handed defenseman on the 22nd ranked defense from last year...what would you say?

im not saying Trouba is bad. Nor am I saying JT Miller is the next Tyler Seguin.

I'm simply stating the facts as they are.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Would still try to trade Nash over anyone just because of the contract. If we got rid of that contract, it would be a huge relief.

what would you do with that contract?

Thats the question.

whose gonna be a free agent coming up that you want to open the coffers for?

I mean, i get it..if EK or Tavares or something was a free agent next year, id be very interested.

but they arent. right now cap space does nothing...weve got the core of this group signed long term..what does cap space do? Zib right now is the only player that needs to be locked up..him and Miller. there's space to be made elsewhere.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Miller going to sustain this? Does Gorton know?

Will Skjei continue to progress?

I agree we need another D man... I'd hate to make this decsision.

Now Zucc... due to age, size and contract status I'd be more willing.

id say probably not...but it would make me pivot the negotiation elsewhere...to Zucc.

I love Zucc but if its him for Trouba, then it fits the younger mentality. MZA is 29, Trouba is 22...get younger. Troubas bigger and stronger. MZA is faster for sure..but Trouba plays RHD which we badly need.

you want to improve this team? Go get me Trouba for Zucc...THAT is the kinda trade we should be making.

Older for younger.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
is he or is he not their 3rd pairing right defenseman?

he is isnt he?

there's nothing i said wrong there.

all im saying is if im the GM of this team, and someone offered me Miller for Trouba...id probably turn them down right now.

again...the top scoring player for the top scoring team in the NHL.

obviously its early, but theres nothing incorrect about that statement is there?

i mean, if you ask any of the top scoring players of the past 10 years, if they would trade their top scoring player for the 3rd best right handed defenseman on the 22nd ranked defense from last year...what would you say?

im not saying Trouba is bad. Nor am I saying JT Miller is the next Tyler Seguin.

I'm simply stating the facts as they are.

If you honestly believe what you stated above is what the Rangers would use to decide whether to trade Miller for Trouba than I'm not sure I can debate it with you.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
id say probably not...but it would make me pivot the negotiation elsewhere...to Zucc.

I love Zucc but if its him for Trouba, then it fits the younger mentality. MZA is 29, Trouba is 22...get younger. Troubas bigger and stronger. MZA is faster for sure..but Trouba plays RHD which we badly need.

you want to improve this team? Go get me Trouba for Zucc...THAT is the kinda trade we should be making.

Older for younger.

Now that I can agree with wholeheartedly.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm almost at the point where I'd rather see us go for a lesser players like Honka or Pokka.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm almost at the point where I'd rather see us go for a lesser players like Honka or Pokka.

eh.

i dunno..the way this team is playing now...particularly offensively..i think they are 1 top pairing RHD away from being a legit contender in the east.

as it stands they probably already are due to their overwhelming offense...but those things dry up in the playoffs as we've seen repeatedly throughout history.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
eh.

i dunno..the way this team is playing now...particularly offensively..i think they are 1 top pairing RHD away from being a legit contender in the east.

as it stands they probably already are due to their overwhelming offense...but those things dry up in the playoffs as we've seen repeatedly throughout history.

Just afraid of giving up too much for Trouba.

I kinda agree with your previous post about Zucca. I'd trade Zucca for Trouba in a heartbeat. That's not a knock on Zucca. Miller i probably wouldn't deal. As mentioned way back of a rumored Miller + Skjei that's a big pass for me.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Would Anaheim consider something around Zucca for Vatanen? We could eat some salary or pick up a salary dump.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

Older for younger.

Agree

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Man did you guys see the hustle at both ends of the ice zucc displays especially on the backcheck.
Just feel like we would be giving up more than just what shows up on scoresheet but I realize u gotta give up to get a good rhd nowadays

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Man did you guys see the hustle at both ends of the ice zucc displays especially on the backcheck.
Just feel like we would be giving up more than just what shows up on scoresheet but I realize u gotta give up to get a good rhd nowadays

He is really a heart and soul player. Would suck to lose him. But if you're talking about getting a first pairing D man for him, particularly one that's considerably younger, I think you have to do it.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Besides Trouba, Shattenkirk and Vatanen, I have my eyes on Justin Faulk, Tyson Barrie and Ryan Ellis (when he becomes healthy). Maybe if the Hurricanes, Avalanche and Predators continue to struggle they'll consider unloading each player respectively. Hurricanes could unload Faulk's 5 million per salary. So could the Avalanche with Barrie.

Last edited:

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown

I think this way. I do like the way that Gorton appears to be thinking in making the team younger (with the right younger players) but would like to keep Zucc.
That's not very scientific, but I tend to go with a combination of stats and heart. Zucc I would keep, and not just because I like him.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I think this way. I do like the way that Gorton appears to be thinking in making the team younger (with the right younger players) but would like to keep Zucc.
That's not very scientific, but I tend to go with a combination of stats and heart. Zucc I would keep, and not just because I like him.

If you had to move Zucc or Miller to get Trouba, don't you move Zucc though?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
If you had to move Zucc or Miller to get Trouba, don't you move Zucc though?

This is a great way of cutting to the point I wanted to make... I don't WANT to trade Zucc... but... if it's him or Miller or Skjei I'm more willing to trade Zucc and I do like him... it's mostly an age, size and contract deal... nothing to do w heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad