Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I think that ship has sailed.
Would the kid who sacrificed his public image looking like a spoiled brat refusing to sign with not 1 but 2 teams and forcing his way to the Rangers; really not take a discount to be a Ranger? I’m positive he cares more about being a hero in New York and lifting a cup as a Ranger than he does about an extra 1 or 2 mill per year. If I were to bet on it I think he takes a discount.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
that Zibby was a beast. I loved that version of him. We prob won’t see it this year, being a contract year. Also with his diet switch / covid he’s playing at about 20 pounds lighter. Plus he’s had another concussion since then so odds are we’re going to see the more perimeter shooting Zibby with less authority on the puck.
Those head down where he used to kind of bull his way into better shooting positions are probably over.
I think he’s trying to incorporate more speed and smarts, more similar to panarin in avoiding contact. Most likely for career longevity and health concerns due to his concussion history.
Not saying he’s going to be bad, just don’t see the Zibby of 2 years ago making a return, which blows

He hasn't had a concussion since 17-18.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Hey, I've certainly turned the corner on Zbad but will I ever in a million years count on him to take us through the playoffs?
Hellz no.

All that said..Based on his current work up until this point, you gonna pay him?

If he is healthy this year and produces, then how do you not? Unless some young top line center somehow finds his way to NY which is suuuuper unlikely. We haven't had a 1C this good since Messier.

There is risk, but he's pretty darn close to irreplaceable.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
hope they go into the season without an extension. Let him show that he's back to 19-20 form before giving him 9+ million for 8 years. If he's more 2021 Zibs then he'll be cheaper. The worst thing would be to give him a monster extension before the season and it turns out he's not that player any more. Would be classic Rongos tho
Yeah, but contract years rarely translate into post-contract production.

I'm up for keeping Zibanejad. Too much is made of recency. Everyone fluctuates. A bad year around here means the player is washed up, and a great year is the tip of the iceberg of their breakout potential.

If it were me, I would have a price for Zibanejad and nothing going forward changes it. We've seen dominant Zibanejad and we've seen him as a compromised player. We know his value and there is nothing more to learn. If Drury caves because a player had an amazing season while looking for a new deal, he didn't learn anything in all his years of hockey.

My ranking for outcomes is this:
1) Sign Zibanejad to a reasonable contract ($8.5-9m x 6 years)
2) Trade him for the best offer amongst the teams he will waive to
3) Let him walk for NOTHING
4) Sign him for anything over my price point

Reactions: ArPanet

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Would the kid who sacrificed his public image looking like a spoiled brat refusing to sign with not 1 but 2 teams and forcing his way to the Rangers; really not take a discount to be a Ranger? I’m positive he cares more about being a hero in New York and lifting a cup as a Ranger than he does about an extra 1 or 2 mill per year. If I were to bet on it I think he takes a discount.

Rangers: "We know you want to be here. We want you to take a discount."

Adam Fox: "No."

Rangers: "Ok, here's your blank check."

Rangers have zero leverage.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The only leverage is on the RFA seasons and, frankly, it’s probably not worth it to push his inevitable 8 year extension further back into his mid 30s.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
If he is healthy this year and produces, then how do you not? Unless some young top line center somehow finds his way to NY which is suuuuper unlikely. We haven't had a 1C this good since Messier.

There is risk, but he's pretty darn close to irreplaceable.

It's a major league gamble.
Too me, he just hasn't brought enough to the table to warrant the contract he's going to be asking for.
Bring in a legit #1C (I KNOW before you even say it lol) and bump Zbad to #2 in order to take some of the pressure off of him then we're good.
Otherwise, I'm not paying him to lead this team.
I'll stick by that statement..

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The only leverage is on the RFA seasons and, frankly, it’s probably not worth it to push his inevitable 8 year extension further back into his mid 30s.

Leverage is more tied with arbitration, but yes. The Rangers have some leverage still. Fox will be arbitration eligible next summer though, complicating it slightly.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Fox’s public image is a Norris Trophy winning defenseman. Nobody cares that he wouldnt sign with Calgary/Carolina.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019

I agree he'll take a discount, but the problem is a discount is still like 9M at this point.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Honestly with Fox we are gonna have to give the 9.5 mill, i just hope its for 8 years. With the cap comparables that 9.5 is a bargain unfortunately given he's the norris winner already.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
So i wonder if we're still shopping Georgiev? If so i for one would like Hank back if he was ok with playing 25-30 games this season. 1 year deal, go for it this year and hopefully get him a shot at a cup.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Honestly with Fox we are gonna have to give the 9.5 mill, i just hope its for 8 years. With the cap comparables that 9.5 is a bargain unfortunately given he's the norris winner already.
Pelech is the only one who gave his team a bit of a bargain. I mean I guess Makar did too, he and Fox probably could demand 12. Its insane what GMs are handing out.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Pelech is the only one who gave his team a bit of a bargain. I mean I guess Makar did too, he and Fox probably could demand 12. Its insane what GMs are handing out.
Makar's contract is 1 UFA year. That's not a bargain, that's a precedent setting deal.

Reactions: Barnaby

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You think Fox is going to sign for that after the ridiculous EDM/ Nurse contract?
Fox has scored exactly zero points in the playoffs.
These crazy contracts are going to be crippling moving forward..
I dont expect him to do it but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If I had to choose, I 100% re-up Zibs before the season starts. He will drop 50+ on his contract year then bend us over even more

Reactions: we want cup

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I'm not really seeing the Bargain that everyone else is.

5.75 over 8 years for a defensive defenseman is pretty expensive. He's a good player, but how good will he be when he loses half a step?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
He hasn't had a concussion since 17-18.
Yea but I think he had that weird injury, where they called it an upper body whatever and he missed time. I think they called it a neck injury after a while, Not important. Whatever it was. But he’s been pretty different since the bubble. Not gonna fault him for that cause most were bad there and he’s had a lot to deal with since then.
I hope he starts the year on fire, but I have my doubts

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yea but I think he had that weird injury, where they called it an upper body whatever and he missed time. I think they called it a neck injury after a while, Not important. Whatever it was. But he’s been pretty different since the bubble. Not gonna fault him for that cause most were bad there and he’s had a lot to deal with since then.
I hope he starts the year on fire, but I have my doubts

Well Covid at camp clearly had a lot to do with that.

Reactions: haveandare

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I'm not really seeing the Bargain that everyone else is.

5.75 over 8 years for a defensive defenseman is pretty expensive. He's a good player, but how good will he be when he loses half a step?

Exactly. Some people are acting like the guy scored 40 points last year instead of 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad