Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Who cares if Zibanejad is tough? If he is going to be one of the best goal scorers in the league he does not need to be. He has the 6th most goals since 19-20. It's not the best measure but he has the 2nd most hits of anyone in the top 10 in goals and at least that somewhat measures physical play. This is a made up narrative that's being used because he's in his contract year and there are debates on what to do with him.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
The criticism of Zibanejad as soft is ridiculous. He doesn't throw big hits and he doesn't grind much, but he is far from a perimeter player. His combination of strength, speed, and the ability to execute at speed makes him almost impossible to handle when he's on his game. We saw a lot of that two years ago when he would barrel through defenses on a regular basis. He just did not have that in him last year except for a handful of games. I hope we get that Zibanejad back this year, because it was incredible to watch.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Who cares if Zibanejad is tough? If he is going to be one of the best goal scorers in the league he does not need to be. He has the 6th most goals since 19-20. It's not the best measure but he has the 2nd most hits of anyone in the top 10 in goals and at least that somewhat measures physical play. This is a made up narrative that's being used because he's in his contract year and there are debates on what to do with him.
But is he a 200-foot-player?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
He was hands down our best player in the playoffs in 2017

We'll see how he looks this post season

Hey, I've certainly turned the corner on Zbad but will I ever in a million years count on him to take us through the playoffs?
Hellz no.

All that said..Based on his current work up until this point, you gonna pay him?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
A lot of you knock Zibby getting so many of his points on the PP while ignoring that since he's joined the Rangers, we've had a deadly power play for the first time in the post lockout era.

In 2016-2017 Mika joins the Rangers, and in those five years we have had the five highest PP% seasons since before the lockout.

NHL Stats

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Hey, I've certainly turned the corner on Zbad but will I ever in a million years count on him to take us through the playoffs?
Hellz no.

All that said..Based on his current work up until this point, you gonna pay him?
5 year contract is fine. $9-10M

Hoping Fox shows the boys how its done. If Fox signs at a discount, he could start a trend. Start the winning culture...

Fox 8years @ $7-8M. Copium... leads to Zibs 5 years 8.5M

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
5 year contract is fine. $9-10M

Hoping Fox shows the boys how its done. If Fox signs at a discount, he could start a trend. Start the winning culture...

Fox 8years @ $7-8M. Copium... leads to Zibs 5 years 8.5M

You think Fox is going to sign for that after the ridiculous EDM/ Nurse contract?
Fox has scored exactly zero points in the playoffs.
These crazy contracts are going to be crippling moving forward..

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The criticism of Zibanejad as soft is ridiculous. He doesn't throw big hits and he doesn't grind much, but he is far from a perimeter player. His combination of strength, speed, and the ability to execute at speed makes him almost impossible to handle when he's on his game. We saw a lot of that two years ago when he would barrel through defenses on a regular basis. He just did not have that in him last year except for a handful of games. I hope we get that Zibanejad back this year, because it was incredible to watch.

that Zibby was a beast. I loved that version of him. We prob won’t see it this year, being a contract year. Also with his diet switch / covid he’s playing at about 20 pounds lighter. Plus he’s had another concussion since then so odds are we’re going to see the more perimeter shooting Zibby with less authority on the puck.
Those head down where he used to kind of bull his way into better shooting positions are probably over.
I think he’s trying to incorporate more speed and smarts, more similar to panarin in avoiding contact. Most likely for career longevity and health concerns due to his concussion history.
Not saying he’s going to be bad, just don’t see the Zibby of 2 years ago making a return, which blows

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
hope they go into the season without an extension. Let him show that he's back to 19-20 form before giving him 9+ million for 8 years. If he's more 2021 Zibs then he'll be cheaper. The worst thing would be to give him a monster extension before the season and it turns out he's not that player any more. Would be classic Rongos tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad