Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
You alternate between playing up Hayes' value and playing down his value. He's valuable. I think he's more valuable than Galchenyuk currently.
I think Hayes is a good player, and has become a pretty good, dependable 2 way C.
I'm thinking in the very near future he will not be a top six C on this team, and it would be a huge mistake to pay him $5M+.
The team needs more skill and Galchenyuk provides that! Name me one player on this roster besides Nash (...and Grabner many years ago), that has scored 30 goals in any season? Galchenyuk has scored 30 goals once, 20 another year and had 17 goals in 61 games last year...

Reactions: Avery16

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
https://nypost.com/2018/01/19/rangers-youngster-gets-another-chance-to-prove-he-belongs/

“I don’t want to try to do too much, but at the same time, it’s not about me just sticking to basics,” the 22-year-old defenseman told The Post. “I think there are aspects of my game that set me apart and that’s what I’m going to try to show.
“I’ve been working on the 200-foot game, the defensive side and being more physical at times, but I think my game is opening up on offense, as long as I pick my spots.”

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
https://nypost.com/2018/01/19/rangers-youngster-gets-another-chance-to-prove-he-belongs/

“I don’t want to try to do too much, but at the same time, it’s not about me just sticking to basics,” the 22-year-old defenseman told The Post. “I think there are aspects of my game that set me apart and that’s what I’m going to try to show.
“I’ve been working on the 200-foot game, the defensive side and being more physical at times, but I think my game is opening up on offense, as long as I pick my spots.”

Here’s hoping.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Why are you deliberately being obtuse? I said the Rangers should trade expiring contracts for draft picks and prospects and there's no guarantee that those prospects/picks will amount to anything. That's the truth and I haven't "flip flopped" from anything. They should trade those assets for picks/prospects (especially now given the Shattenkirk injury). Is English YOUR first language? You're failing at it if it is.

Are you guaranteeing that every prospect/pick the Rangers get back will be an asset to the organization or something? You make it sound like there's no risk to this. There is. And if you're 100% certain that these picks/prospects will be awesome then I'm sure 30 NHL teams would love to hire you.

What’s the risk? The Rangers are not winning with this group. Their players are getting older. Their farm system sucks. They have a handful of young players worth a shit. What’s the alternative? Be bold or go home. The Rangers need to stop with this being competitive is sufficient. It’s time to shake it up. Gorton has done some of that. He needs to do more and it starts with shipping off players at the deadline.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Amen. A kid like him can’t focus on defense. If he makes it it’s because of his offense.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Ok, but then Lettieri and Fast are your 4th line wingers. You could do that, but I wouldn't. They can produce at a third line rate.

Fast is a 4th line winger. He can play in the top 9, but he’s best suited as a 4th line winger/PKer.

I agree on Lettieri, but there’s no need to start the year with him in your top 9. He can start on the 4th line. Gives us depth. We can’t start with Andersson, Chytil, Lettieri, and Fast in the top 9. That’s going to create big problems, depth-wise.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
What’s the risk? The Rangers are not winning with this group. Their players are getting older. Their farm system sucks. They have a handful of young players worth a ****. What’s the alternative? Be bold or go home. The Rangers need to stop with this being competitive is sufficient. It’s time to shake it up. Gorton has done some of that. He needs to do more and it starts with shipping off players at the deadline.

So hard w Hank in net and having s Good year but w Kreider and Shattenkirk out its likely smart to move Grabner , Nash , HOlden for picks and younger bodies

We all know they are going to spend money on a ufa or two to replace them next year

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If we subscribe to the Bruins rebuild, does that mean we have to dress Brad Marchand? Because if so I am not interested.
There’s some supreme irony in Avery16 being against playing the better scoring version of Avery :laugh:

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
There’s some supreme irony in Avery16 being against playing the better scoring version of Avery :laugh:
Marchand likes stirring shit, but then he runs and hides behind Zdeno. Avery always fought his own fights. Also, Avery was a smarter pest, even if he was also impulsive. As far as better scoring, Avery certainly had hands. He just didn’t have a coach that believed in his game. Which is why, by the way, I believe we lost the 2012 ECF.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Marchand likes stirring ****, but then he runs and hides behind Zdeno. Avery always fought his own fights. Also, Avery was a smarter pest, even if he was also impulsive. As far as better scoring, Avery certainly had hands. He just didn’t have a coach that believed in his game.

Would you please don’t even try to compare the Marchand and Avery. One has a ring, best chosen partner for Crosby on Team Canada and is enjoying an earned $6+M contract, while the other is out of the league altogether.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Would you please don’t even try to compare the Marchand and Avery. One has a ring, best chosen partner for Crosby on Team Canada and is enjoying an earned $6+M contract, while the other is out of the league altogether.
Marchand is a classless nobody piece of shit. Go take it to the Bruins board.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
The rebuild beginning in '04 never seemed COMPLETE, seemingly to anyone. Not casting any blame, just appeared non-committal. I'm not one to follow which trades brought which draft picks and who they were ORIGINALLY. think, we got Immonen, Kondratiev, Balej. Leetch was like 36- 37, Kovalev was good as a Ranger for parts of two seasons in the 90s. IIRC, Blair Betts was the prize. Granted, there wasn't much of value. 2005-06 was only because we had vets who were solid and the Czech contingent. Prucha had an NHL career for a time mainly because a lot of players were slow to catch on/keep up with post-lockout hockey or never did. Someone here said they wouldn't trade him for Crosby, I'll never forget.

Anyhow, they had their star, good top-six guys and a would-be young gun for secondary scoring. Then Hank, who was drafted 5 years prior. The differences now is that Hank is on the downswing, chronologically-speaking, and there's no Jagr or even Nylander or Straka... Zibanejad was almost a 1A for a month. now he's a no. 2 C again. No no. 1... are we just doing the same re-build every year? Buchnevich even looks like Prucha, peach-fuzz and all... not that I'd expect the same sad fading away.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
What’s the risk? The Rangers are not winning with this group. Their players are getting older. Their farm system sucks. They have a handful of young players worth a ****. What’s the alternative? Be bold or go home. The Rangers need to stop with this being competitive is sufficient. It’s time to shake it up. Gorton has done some of that. He needs to do more and it starts with shipping off players at the deadline.

You need to start to remove Henrik`s NMC with that thought process and get a haul of prospects back for him. And it`s nothing wrong, but it`s a different method that Oilers are using for generational talent, or Leafs or Canucks who are all in middle of a rebuild. And Rangers won`t compete in years with our current farm and prospect pool. There are some here waiting for Graves, but he is like a 4th rd - 19th pick - he can be successful as all other prospects who are higher ranked in a draft, but I thought Graves should be NHL ready in age of 22?

And that`s the main issue now since Glen Sather used too many prospects in those past deals, and dealt away early picks in trades which we need to get high top end talents like A. Matthews.

- I also question some of our younger core players with age of 20-27 are they good enough to compete to get us a cup in like (3-5) years?

If they are not good enough quality to achieve the Stanley cup goal within 3-5 years.. Well draft for generational talents and have some players to build a team around.
We tried in 2014, but we lost the final and we won over Pens when we finally had some f***ing snipers on this team in both Marty & Richards even though they were end of their careers.

If we don`t reach playoffs this year and that is mainly based on injury reasons, but start to sell, sell, sell. Personally I would start with Shattenkirk who is 28 since we have DeAngelo one of the few players we can actually replace with our farm. :)
I would also move JT Miller since we have both Chytil & Lias who are more likely much better center players. We need guys who can finish plays, and players who can fill that sniper role; young prospects. And finally Gorton need to keep our 1st in that 2018 draft.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Marchand likes stirring ****, but then he runs and hides behind Zdeno. Avery always fought his own fights. Also, Avery was a smarter pest, even if he was also impulsive. As far as better scoring, Avery certainly had hands. He just didn’t have a coach that believed in his game. Which is why, by the way, I believe we lost the 2012 ECF.
I loved Avery, but Marchand is one of the best LW in the game. He’s a pugilistic little f***ing rat, but he’s a helluva hockey player.

This is why I have faith in Gorton. He pinned these type of players in the early 2000s and look what it’s done for Boston since. Go look at his last draft: Kessel, Lucic, AND Marchand. Unreal.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I loved Avery, but Marchand is one of the best LW in the game. He’s a pugilistic little ****ing rat, but he’s a helluva hockey player.

This is why I have faith in Gorton. He pinned these type of players in the early 2000s and look what it’s done for Boston since. Go look at his last draft: Kessel, Lucic, AND Marchand. Unreal.
Pugilistic literally means that you fight. Marchand does not fight. He is a cheap shot artist that hides behind an ogre. Absolutely gutless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad