Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
we all knew he was injured

You don't take maintenance days as frequently as he was unless you're old (which he isn't) or injured

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
here's the thing.

I have WAY more trust in the Rangers ability to draft good players, than to trade for young players who have already been drafted (Etem, ADA, etc).

I just think we suck at "selling" assets...are good to great in acquiring asset that are being sold (IE, Yandle, but a bad example is Staal, etc)...i think in the draft we've been terrific, particularly in going for home run type swings. give the rangers 7 or 8 swings at the plate in the next 2 drafts over the first 2 rounds, and i think we find 1-2 star caliber players.

Reactions: Lion Hound

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
He is pretty much another Kreider. Having him on one line and Kreider on the other would be a huge boost

He’s having a very solid deal. I just worry about investing millions and millions on a player that might have issues living in NYC.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
He got hit along the boards in the last game and it looked like he tweaked his knee. The way he went down it seemed like it was a re-occurrence as there wasn't much contact there.

I’ll take that over a concussion. Missed last nights game ~ thanks for the info.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Evander Kane would be a nice addition if they have the cap space

He would be a PERFECT fit for this time...agree with your following post about another Kreider. Defenses would not be able to line up against a player like this on two separate lines. Provided we have the space, I would add him in a heartbeat.

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This is the best article from Larry Brooks in quite some time.

People here look at every other team out there as these perfect, well built monstrosities that are impossible to beat. The fact of the matter is, every team has its flaws.

True, but the Rangers' propensity to hitch the wagon to this line of thinking has yielded too much pride in the "anything can happen" and "we owe it to the fans" angle. Best for management to look in the mirror and do whats best for the organization long-term rather than slip down a quixotic spring every year that aimed at trying, and failing, to expose other team's flaws.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with this but I do think that a team looking to get Kane may not be the same as a team looking to get Nash, because so their different skill sets.

Different skill-sets, but both are goal scorers. At the deadline, I don't think anyone is so picky in type of goal-scorer.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Nash for anything less then a 1st is a fail for Jeff Gorton.

Especially with retention to a budget team.

Duration of time from the trade deadline to the end of the regular season is a period of 40 days (2/26 to 4/7) Rick Nash makes $8.2M this year, and there are 185 days in the NHL season this year, therefore each day of the season he earns $44,324.32. If traded at the trade deadline, the acquiring team would only have to pay out 40 days of salary, which is $1,772,972.80, and then they get him for a playoff run. Not to mention that that team would be solidifying themselves as a playoff contender, that has some big effects on your audience/market/ticket sales.

Tell me that a contending budget team like Anaheim, Ottawa, or Nashville, or even a salary cap-strapped team like Chicago wouldn't lunge at the chance of getting Rick Nash for a playoff run while spending a mere $1.8M in actual salary while only surrendering futures?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I’ll take that over a concussion. Missed last nights game ~ thanks for the info.

It looked to me like his ankle--it didn't quite twist the way it was supposed to... He's definitely been hurting, though I'm not sure with what, but typically, feet/ankles/knees affect your entire body and style. Upper body ailments are tough but a lot of them can be fought through (other than shoulder injuries, those are hard)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Especially with retention to a budget team.

Duration of time from the trade deadline to the end of the regular season is a period of 40 days (2/26 to 4/7) Rick Nash makes $8.2M this year, and there are 185 days in the NHL season this year, therefore each day of the season he earns $44,324.32. If traded at the trade deadline, the acquiring team would only have to pay out 40 days of salary, which is $1,772,972.80, and then they get him for a playoff run. Not to mention that that team would be solidifying themselves as a playoff contender, that has some big effects on your audience/market/ticket sales.

Tell me that a contending budget team like Anaheim, Ottawa, or Nashville, or even a salary cap-strapped team like Chicago wouldn't lunge at the chance of getting Rick Nash for a playoff run while spending a mere $1.8M in actual salary while only surrendering futures?
I have never seen an instance of retaining salary on an expiring contract kill a deal at the deadline either.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I have never seen an instance of retaining salary on an expiring contract kill a deal at the deadline either.

No definitely hasn't... I didn't even add the retention numbers in there. If the rangers retained 50%, the acquiring team would pay a little bit less than $900k for Nash

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Had a dream we traded Lias. I don't remember the return, but I remember being unhappy. It was of the "aging vet" ilk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad