Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
We are gonna need the space. Paying $8m to a defenseman who is on your third pair before he becomes not a negative… isn’t great roster construction.
Neither is 3.6 mill for a primarily 4th line guy.
Rangers finally have enough in the farm to not have to go out and poach a guy like that in UFA.
At the time we signed Goodrow, we didn’t, his leadership and experience was also needed for the culture change.
Out of the 3 potential pieces to move, I’d say in order from most likely to least likely to get traded it goes
Goodrow-Trouba-then Lindgren.

Still doubt Lavi would want to run 2/3 s of a rookies on a 4th line next season……
Vesey will likely be here, he’s not expensive and for the most part a solid 4th liner….
If they moves goodrows 3.6 mill hit, Drury likely signs a vet for 1-1.5 on the short term to be in the mix with Edstrom/rempe/vesey….. brod is also there to cover in case of injury.
Hopefully we win the cup and all of our guys raise their trade value.

Wennberg/Roslovic and Gus are good as gone imo. With the seasons/playoffs we’ve had so far, and how they’ve performed since the TDL, there will be teams that offer Ros/wennberg close to what they are making now. Gus will likely double-triple his salary on a 2-3 deal. NYR couldn’t and shouldn’t.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm not worried about that. He doesn't score enough to command a significant raise.

At 26, Girardi got a 4-year deal @ 3.325 mil. At the time, he had 80 points in 280 games.

Lindgren has 80 points in 333 games. Lindgren will get a higher AAV due to a higher cap, but I can't see it being more than 4.5 mil. Give him 17 mil over 4 years with a limited NTC.

The other option is to trade for a better dman, but that dman is probably going to cost more in terms of cap, in addition to whatever we pay in assets to acquire him.
Agree with this. Earlier I could have seen a multi-step readjustment of D by moving on from both Lindgren and Trouba and then allocating more $$ for LD than RD brought back as replacements, essentially 1LD and 3RD. But not at this point unless the Rangers blow this 3 game lead.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Neither is 3.6 mill for a primarily 4th line guy.
Rangers finally have enough in the farm to not have to go out and poach a guy like that in UFA.
At the time we signed Goodrow, we didn’t, his leadership and experience was also needed for the culture change.
Out of the 3 potential pieces to move, I’d say in order from most likely to least likely to get traded it goes
Goodrow-Trouba-then Lindgren.

Still doubt Lavi would want to run 2/3 s of a rookies on a 4th line next season……
Vesey will likely be here, he’s not expensive and for the most part a solid 4th liner….
If they moves goodrows 3.6 mill hit, Drury likely signs a vet for 1-1.5 on the short term to be in the mix with Edstrom/rempe/vesey….. brod is also there to cover in case of injury.
Hopefully we win the cup and all of our guys raise their trade value.

Wennberg/Roslovic and Gus are good as gone imo. With the seasons/playoffs we’ve had so far, and how they’ve performed since the TDL, there will be teams that offer Ros/wennberg close to what they are making now. Gus will likely double-triple his salary on a 2-3 deal. NYR couldn’t and shouldn’t.
I don’t think Wennberg outperformed his cap hit - he’s been a very serviceable bottom lines defensive center. His contract was based on him being more than that and I don’t think NHL teams will project that offensive potential forward anymore. I’d support “replacing” Goodrow’s salary with Wennberg for next season - especially given Chytil health issues.

Reactions: mrmovies779

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
For all the crap Goodrow takes, especially because of his salary, he's the exact type of player you need in the playoffs, especially if we face a team like the Panthers. Physical player who is a great PK'er and can take important draws.
He's a respected leader in the dressing room, who's won a cup and knows what it takes to win. Invaluable to have on a team.

Reactions: Guyute

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
For all the crap Goodrow takes, especially because of his salary, he's the exact type of player you need in the playoffs, especially if we face a team like the Panthers. Physical player who is a great PK'er and can take important draws.
He's a respected leader in the dressing room, who's won a cup and knows what it takes to win. Invaluable to have on a team.
rangers are paying goodrow 3.6mm - 12 pts
panthers are paying 4.1 to verhaeghe - 72 points

you can get what goodrow brings much more cheaply

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I remember hearing a few months ago on one of the rangers podcasts someone had heard Lindgren was asking for a low number for decent years, like high 3s or low 4s for 5 years. I’d do that honestly. Doubt he’s be great through all of those years but at that price it’s not hard to find a way around it

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I remember hearing a few months ago on one of the rangers podcasts someone had heard Lindgren was asking for a low number for decent years, like high 3s or low 4s for 5 years. I’d do that honestly. Doubt he’s be great through all of those years but at that price it’s not hard to find a way around it
if the number starts with 3, 5 years works for me

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don’t think Wennberg outperformed his cap hit - he’s been a very serviceable bottom lines defensive center. His contract was based on him being more than that and I don’t think NHL teams will project that offensive potential forward anymore. I’d support “replacing” Goodrow’s salary with Wennberg for next season - especially given Chytil health issues.
disagree we can do better than Wenn
need to give Edstrom mins

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
rangers are paying goodrow 3.6mm - 12 pts
panthers are paying 4.1 to verhaeghe - 72 points

2 completely different players and situations. Sorry, but that's an asinine comparison.
PL Dubois makes $8.5M, Goodrow makes $3.6M, who do you want in the playoffs???

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
2 completely different players and situations. Sorry, but that's an asinine comparison.
PL Dubois makes $8.5M, Goodrow makes $3.6M, who do you want in the playoffs???
dubois isn't playing anymore.

goodrow makes 3.6. lorenz makes 1. cousins makes 1.1.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
The Rangers are nearly halfway to winning a Cup. I think they've got an inkling about what they're doing and who they need to do it.
my god! can there be no difference of opinion?? must we insist upon strict dogma and put all nonbelievers to the torch??

i think the Rangers can win a cup with Goodrow and i hope they do! i also think they could probably win with another player in his role and his cap space allocated elsewhere!

but this rhetoric that whatever the team decides is infallible perfection and the cat couldn't be skinned any other way is ridiculous!

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
my god! can there be no difference of opinion?? must we insist upon strict dogma and put all nonbelievers to the torch??

i think the Rangers can win a cup with Goodrow and i hope they do! i also think they could probably win with another player in his role and his cap space allocated elsewhere!

but this rhetoric that whatever the team decides is infallible perfection and the cat couldn't be skinned any other way is ridiculous!

And the notion that you're smarter than everyone in that room is equally ridiculous. Nobody said anything about "perfection" but I can certainly agree to disagree that someone like Cousins is equally valuable to a team in the playoffs as Goodrow is. Penalty killing anyone? 0-for the series-Carolina. It's not always about the cap hit.

Cheers.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I don’t know, he’s making what 4-4.5 now?
Hes been good since the TDL and in the playoffs so far.
Even at a cut, 3.5-3.75 ( which someone will give him) I’d rather not pay him that.
Plus chytil should be in the fold as well.
Either way, next years squad should get significant contributions from
Jones
Berard/othmann
Rempe
Edstrom

All making 800-1 mill a year.

If they get rid of Goodrow or Trouba and cap goes up, they should have a nice chunk of change to go after someone at least short term.

Plus see if Kakko willing to sign beyond a season or 2. He might be traded in that case as well.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Fortunately for us his role here really isn't scoring, it's defending and his line did get a goal last night.
yeah, no

It is unfortunate that scoring chances looking to die head directly for his stick

Obv, any team, the deeper it is -- arguably across the board -- the better that club's chances.

It was unfortunately nec that depending on cost, we needed a depth stopgap due to injuries to Chytil + Edstrom.
Cuylle + KK are crushing it /obv chemistry and Wenn is killing us
Nice that line has monster possession, but need to score esp as competition gets tougher going forward

Rempe should be playing.

It was correct to have FC return. Hopefully he can overcome rust.
But while last nite was closer, we were way behind in shots most of prior game.
We need more scoring but absent that we need Rempe giving energy and taking it away from opposition.

Shesty has been brilliant.
Now is the time to give him a nite off, so he is less exhausted should we advance, likey to be deeper.

In: Quick [1 game only]
Rempe - mo mins
Chytil - what he can handle

Out: Wennberg

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We need to move on from Trouba. It's been enough to see where it's headed.

We need much better skating defenseman. Fox needs a true top4LHD. Lindgren sucks with the puck in the D-Zone ( or any zone for that matter )... He tries to be slick like Fox but just ends up getting himself in trouble.

Schneider is our best skater. It's close with KAM but Schneids has much better agility/quickness.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Whoever said Trouba was Mayfield was spot on. Need that person to chime in more often.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The funny part with Trouba... how many times has he whiffed on a 'big hit attempt' as of late? he slowed down that much...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad