Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I don't see the Rangers playing 2 low skill basketball players (Rempe and Edstrom) at the same time unless there are multiple injuries. I also think Berard is a realistic possibiliity to make the Rangers next year based on watching him in all the playoff games.

There's a need for a better depth forward than Brod because injuries happen.

I also don't think Robertson is quite there, at least not yet. I suspect if Trouba is traded, it's for a lower end D with less cap hit, but who is still overpaid. Maybe someone who gets $3M as a 6D - the other team gets a better player, we save $5M.

If the Rangers could shave Trouba and Goodrow off the cap without taking on any big hit (maybe by giving up picks), they could potentially sign a quality UFA like Bertuzzi.

Brad - Tro - Laf
Kreider - Zib - Bertuzzi
Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko
Berard - Edstrom - Vesey
Rempe

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Jones - cheap UFA
Don’t think Berard will be a 4th line player….
Plus Lavi playing 2/3 of a line of rookies doesn’t jive.
If they are breaking in Edstrom and Goodrow is a goner, expect a 800-1mill vet signed for the rotation on 4th with Edstrom,vesey, and rempe…

Of rangers somehow clear all that salary, I’d wager we’re looking a pretty big fish coming back in, at least short term(2-3years)
I like the way bertuzzi plays, but there are quite a few wing options that could become available.
Imo UFA wise anyway, Roy is the cream of the crop on the right. Don’t see rangers dealing Trouba to just turn around and hand Roy a big UFA multi-year deal though.

Please stop with the resigning Wennberg everyone, lol.
It would be like resigning strome when there are better options available.
Wennberg is solid, but don’t want at 3-4 mill for 3-4 years.
Aves are going to have some cap trouble. My low key target and insurance for chytil would be Ross Colton. He’s a local kid and a gamer in the playoffs. Colorado almost certainly cuts him loose due to cap.
Hes not a defensive stalwart like Wennberg, but he’s a good skater, has a good shot and uses it often, and doesn’t mind playing physical. Always finishes body checks.
He prob hey 3-3.5 mill on 3-4 years.
I have no clue what he plans to do with chytil. Leave him at wing permently if he plays well there???
Either way, having Colton on roster makes 3rd line an offensive line
Cuylle-Colton-Kakko/berard

I”d rather be a little worse defensively, and make the 3rd line a true offensive threat to score that plays hard and fast
My potential targets that would/could all be available thru trade
Guhle
Sanheim
Colton
Zetterlund

Last edited:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Wheeler may or may not be a great option, all depends on how much he's been working out. Big players like him usually take a long time to get up to speed. The other side of the coin is that they won't play Rempe all night and Brodzinski is the least effective player we have.

Retool please. This core aint it.
You dont need to retool, let it play out, keep your high end picks and continue to back fill your team around the young players as the others age out. I mean if we had a healthy Chytil and Wheeler the team would look a lot different.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Two losses in 9 playoff games. BLOW THIS SHIT UP
after we blow this series it will only be 4 losses in 11 games, thats a good record actually! Give them all lifetime extensions.

Imagine someone telling you before the season started that we'd win the President's Trophy, and start the playoffs 4-0 and then 3-2. You would have taken that shit without questioning the core.

Good teams lose against good teams. Take a step back from the ledge.
yes lets be completely blind to context, thats always the best way to make decisions.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
If the Rangers lose this series, I vow to wear a bag on my head every time I post here.

Not in public though. I'm in TN. Preds fans are awesome. They root like hell, but 7 minutes after the game is over, it's like it never happened. A few "shucks" and "gollys", and they keep it movin.

Meanwhile, I spackle walls every May.

I did meet one Isles fan in almost decade I've been here. Not so coincidentally...
He's a doosh.

Zero Devil fans in 10 years. They don't exist south of Hoboken I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
after we blow this series it will only be 4 losses in 11 games, thats a good record actually! Give them all lifetime extensions.

With an outlook like that, why even be a fan? You seriously have NO HOPE after watching this team all year and how it's responded? Don't waste your time watching then. You can always come back here and bitch all summer about the players if you're right.

yes lets be completely blind to context, thats always the best way to make decisions.

Carolina's "context" was going 0-3 in the first three games of the series. They took that "context" and tossed it in the garbage can.

Depends on the outcome of this series

That I can agree with. If they do blow this and become the 5th team in history to do it, then by all means. Start with Trouba.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
From the NY Post paywall Q&A with Mollie Walker:

Any chance Blake Wheeler draws into the lineup for a Game 6 spark?
Laviolette said Tuesday they are working to get Wheeler up to speed after the 6-foot-5 forward shed his red non-contact jersey for the first time on Monday. The Rangers head coach reiterated a couple times that Wheeler had only just graduated to a regular jersey, so I don’t anticipate him being available for Game 6.

Jack Roslovic's turn-and-run non-play on Dmitry Orlov was anything but playing "hungry" hockey. Didn't even think about contesting the puck. Led to the Jordan Staal goal that opened the door for the Canes. Do you think there's a chance Laviolette sits him if Chytil is ready to go?
It was a bad play, there’s no question about it. Scratching Roslovic wouldn’t be totally out of left field, especially considering Laviolette did so on April 7 against the Canadiens. But that was also during a time when the Rangers needed a lot more from the 27-year-old wing. I think Roslovic has elevated his game tremendously since the playoffs began, which was something that needed to happen considering the rate he was going through his 19 regular-season games.
I imagine Rempe will be the 12th forward in the Game 6 lineup, so if Chytil is available and that’s the route Laviolette wants to take, I believe the 6-foot-8 ½ forward would be the odd man out.

Do you think the team will work with Rempe on a skating program over the summer? I'm sick of defending him to naysayers who think he's only a fighter. I think he will eventually be an effective fourth-liner.
I have no doubt the Rangers will put a lot of time and effort into shaping Rempe this summer. They may even invite him to stay in New York and work with their staff in the offseason.

If the Rangers get to the conference finals, would they prefer to play the Bruins or the Panthers?
I think the Blueshirts have a more favorable matchup against the Bruins. The Panthers are a lofty task. That’s probably the one series in the East in which I would consider the Rangers to be slight underdogs.

Who is the "leader" in the [locker room]? Is there one voice that is respected more than others, or is it a committee of voices?
My understanding is that it is definitely a committee of voices. They didn’t name six alternate captains — Artemi Panarin, Chris Kreider, Mika Zibanejad, Jacob Trouba, Barclay Goodrow and now ex-teammate Ryan Strome — in 2021-22 just for fun. Since Trouba was named captain, the other four, as well as Adam Fox, still serve as alternates. All of them play a role, as well as goalie Jonathan Quick, who has stepped up as a leadership voice as well.
Before the second overtime in Game 3, Quick spoke up in the locker room. Before overtime in Game 4, Panarin spoke up. Whoever feels inclined to speak at a particular moment is given the floor. They all share the responsibility.

Is Laviolette willing to open the power play with the second unit since the first has fallen back on bad habits?
I think I can count on one hand the number of times Laviolette has deployed the second power-play unit first. This is a trait that has followed every Rangers head coach the past few years. They have seemed to identify the dominance that the first unit is capable of and end up relying on it heavily. Not every aspect of the Rangers' game can be perfect all the time. The power play, despite being one of the team’s greatest assets, will have peaks and valleys. It’s been a couple games without any success on the man-advantage, but does that diminish all that it has accomplished this postseason?

Would you switch goalies? Give Igor Shesterkin a rest? Quick has been extraordinary this year!
No doubt Quick had an extraordinary year, but that’s Shesterkin’s net.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
The Roslovic play was nothing... when he was initially pursuing the puck he had support with Mika behind him down the middle and Kreider a bit back on Chris' own wing. Roslovic was on his off-wing there and opted toward taking the lane to Orlov's partner Chatfield. Orlov made a quick turn and Mika was no longer in the middle, went for a change. Kreider had that wing covered. It was still a nothing burger play. I'm a Schneider fan but that was atrocious defense. He over committed like crazy there on a 1 on 2 and it's in the back of the net. Zero reason for that. That sequence for Roslovic isnt even close to being worthy of scratched for

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
The Roslovic play was nothing... when he was initially pursuing the puck he had support with Mika behind him down the middle and Kreider a bit back on Chris' own wing. Roslovic was on his off-wing there and opted toward taking the lane to Orlov's partner Chatfield. Orlov made a quick turn and Mika was no longer in the middle, went for a change. Kreider had that wing covered. It was still a nothing burger play. I'm a Schneider fan but that was atrocious defense. He over committed like crazy there on a 1 on 2 and it's in the back of the net. Zero reason for that. That sequence for Roslovic isnt even close to being worthy of scratched for

Brian Boyle disagrees. He said on this week's NY Post podcast he puts the blame on that Staal goal directly on Roslovic.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Brian Boyle disagrees. He said on this week's NY Post podcast he puts the blame on that Staal goal directly on Roslovic.
That's idiotic. No matter how the play developed to get there at the end of the day it boiled down to a 1 on 2 rush... you take that sequence any day. You should not be getting scored against on a 1 on 2

You could look at a million different things on that play. When Kreider got the puck he had one man on him, no other Canes in the play with 2 guys going off for a change. Quick little pass back to Mika there and you're gone. Little bit of finesse on the chip and the pucks on Roslovic's stick. Mika leaves his part of the ice for a change. Schneider getting beat on a 1 on 2... you could play that game all day. Theres nothing particularly egregious about Roslovic there that he should be singled out. Bit of a breakdown all around and it still was a nothing burger 1 on 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
That's idiotic. No matter how the play developed to get there at the end of the day it boiled down to a 1 on 2 rush... you take that sequence any day. You should not be getting scored against on a 1 on 2
Agree here. Sure Roslovic's rink turn didnt look good on replay but the reality is Schneider missed his timing and got beat.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The main culprit on that Staal goal remains Kreider.

Watch it back and look at how much time and space he had to make a better play than what he did. f*** icing it would have been a better play. These high NZ reload plays are always dangerous especially after a long shift and your structure is all f***ed up as people are either gassed or trying to get off the ice.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I don't see the Rangers playing 2 low skill basketball players (Rempe and Edstrom) at the same time unless there are multiple injuries. I also think Berard is a realistic possibiliity to make the Rangers next year based on watching him in all the playoff games.
I see EVERY team playing "low skill" players on their 4th line, including NYR, and many doing that with their 3rd line. The fact that Rempe and Edstrom are huge isn't an impediment... and just imagine Rempe Roobroeck Edstrom as a 4th line in a few years... hahahahaha.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
That entire Mika line sucked in game 5 and all of Kreider (weak zone clears), Roslovic (neutral zone fly-by), and Mika (bad change) were very responsible for Staal's goal. And that makes it extra annoying because literally any one of those three guys could have done their job and there's no chance Staal would score, let alone even have a high danger chance.

They, and the rest of the team, played with zero physicality in that game. They didn't forecheck hard, take the body, or knock Carolina off of the puck. They lost many 50/50 puck battles along the boards. The Rangers tend to suck when they play soft like that. I think that's the reason our record is so good when Rempe plays. They tend to be more physical when he's in the lineup as his big hits are contagious. Obviously Rempe played in game 5 and they all stunk.

Bring back the physicality and attention to detail (cough paging Artemi) and I like our chances in game 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad