Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Dude, you’re a character and HF is better for you being here. You’re a valuable poster in all things Rangers and do bring out of the box thinking nearly every single day. Kudos.

That being said, the only person that takes most of your trade proposals seriously is you. They aren’t realistic. They aren’t feasible. They almost always lead players into roles that they aren’t suited for. They don’t fit into where this team is currently at.

Keep plugging away though. :)
Acknowledged with gratitude

As to "that being said" there is much agree to disagree

but that is fine.
I am not vs other pts of view, I am vs ostracizing others and bias
I am also for everyone attempting, when/where possible, to go past purely subjective opinion in an effort to substantiate their contentions.

Again, plenty of room for healthy debate/spirited discussion
let's just pls try to keep it civil

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I noticed some of you inserted Theodore into our next years lineup. Is he really available? I guess we`re talking about Shea Theodore :) What would it take to bring him here? Vegas cant take any salary back so would have to be a boatload of picks.

Edit: I see they will get at least Marchessault and Martinez salaries of the books, and of course Theodore`s salary, So that would help them staying under the cap.
Vegas has 20 players under contract for next season, including Theodore. They are about 900k under the cap, but they have Lenner on LTIR, so they'll be able to spend another 5 mil, roughly, to fill out the final spots.

They have no need to move Theodore, so I don't know where people are getting the idea that he'll be a Ranger.

Reactions: Uglybstrd

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Vegas has 20 players under contract for next season, including Theodore. They are about 900k under the cap, but they have Lenner on LTIR, so they'll be able to spend another 5 mil, roughly, to fill out the final spots.

They have no need to move Theodore, so I don't know where people are getting the idea that he'll be a Ranger.

They have 3 top 9 forwards and a top 6 D on an expiring contracts.

They don't have the pieces to fill those roles internally and I doubt they're going to be able to do all of that for under 6 mill.

It may not be Theodore, but they're going to have to shed cap somewhere.

Dorofeyev has RFA rights this summer and he's going to get a decent bump (nothing crazy, but more than the 825k he's making now so that will eat into some of that open space that they have.)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
They have 3 top 9 forwards and a top 6 D on an expiring contracts.

They don't have the pieces to fill those roles internally and I doubt they're going to be able to do all of that for under 6 mill.

It may not be Theodore, but they're going to have to shed cap somewhere.

Dorofeyev has RFA rights this summer and he's going to get a decent bump (nothing crazy, but more than the 825k he's making now so that will eat into some of that open space that they have.)
Martinez and Stephenson have already been upgraded to Hanafin and Hertl.

Mantha is a rental. Carrier is cheap to re-sign. The only player they are really losing is JAM, but they can replace him and more at the deadline when Stone suffers his annual injury.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Martinez and Stephenson have already been upgraded to Hanafin and Hertl.

Mantha is a rental. Carrier is cheap to re-sign. The only player they are really losing is JAM, but they can replace him and more at the deadline when Stone suffers his annual injury.

Im gonna be honest, I forgot that Hertl existed and I've WATCHED both of their games and he scored in one of them

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Did anyone see that stat Brooks posted in his article earlier today or yesterday? Mika and Kreider as a PK duo have been on the ice for 8 goals against and 6 goals for in 120 minutes. That's crazy good.
That is crazy good. Lets say they get an average of 1 minute 30 seconds per game SHTOI that is basically a net zero playing on the pk for around 80 games (an entire season wtf?!)

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Buffalo's biggest need by far is a veteran presence. They can have all the shiny prospects in the world but they dont have an adult in the room. Trouba would be that for them, he's got a much better reputation leaguewide than he does here. Bad contract is somewhat negated by Byram's health issues in this hypothetical imo. I think its a fair trade and Sabres would love a righty stay at home guy to play with Power or Dahlin.
Someone gets it

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I wonder how badly Buffalo wanted Byram. Getting him for Miiddlestadt, a player they really didn’t have a long term home for, seemed pretty one sided to me. One of those deals where you make the trade because it’s so tilted in your favor and worry about fitting the pieces together later.

How big a concern would troubas ntc be?
And would it be a smaller deal 1:1 or something large?
NTC is 15 teams on July 1

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I wonder how badly Buffalo wanted Byram. Getting him for Miiddlestadt, a player they really didn’t have a long term home for, seemed pretty one sided to me. One of those deals where you make the trade because it’s so tilted in your favor and worry about fitting the pieces together later.

The trade was not tilted in Buffalo's favor.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

15 is still close to half the league.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
i see both of his trade proposals as making the team strictly worse.
I don't reject your criticism out of hand, and ask mutual respect
We should all be trying not just to suggest points of view, but try to substantiate them.

I'm a little crushed atm but would invite your going further on WHY you think that is so.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
From jerseyjinx in reply to bern: "You want to trade Zibanejad, Panarin, Shesterkin, Perreault, Lindgren, and 2 1sts for Matthews?"

Doubt AM is made available, but yes, I would do that ^.
Not gonna happen b'c bread, close to end of his deal and recognizing he doesn't get huge $$$$ offer here, to avoid embarrassment, I could see he waives.
Zib not likely to waive. But if he gets we are moving bread + Shesty + Trouba to stay ahead of the cap, he might relent if Leafs going all in can be a finalist for cup next 2-3 yrs.

While some youth would have to be sacrificed, 4 pieces older than 25 are returning value.
And the above deal helps us open spots for guys who could contribute now/w'in next 2 seasons -- Garand, Scanlin, Othmann, Berard, and gives mo mins to deserving Edstrom, Rempe
Bern, I actually do like reading your elaborate trade proposals but this is just nuts!

I like AM but this puts way too much pressure on the younger players while still keeping Trouba around who has the worst contract based on performance IMO. And you're trading away our best prospect on top of this.

I'm in agreement with you that in a hard cap situation you have to make use of younger (cheaper) players but trading away some of our top vets takes us out of our current window to win IMO. AM is a very good player but I don't even think I'd give up these assets for McDavid.

Panarin, Zib and Shesty are key pieces to our current squad with Lindgren a tier below but still important. Also, how does this trade work from a cap standpoint for Toronto? Maybe I missed something but I doubt they can take on all these guys without significant retention on our behalf.

If the current squad underperforms in the playoffs again, tough decisions will certainly need to be made but I believe those decisions start with Trouba, Goodrow and Lindgren. Shesty all depends on the $ amount.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I don't reject your criticism out of hand, and ask mutual respect
We should all be trying not just to suggest points of view, but try to substantiate them.

I'm a little crushed atm but would invite your going further on WHY you think that is so.
Respect your opinion bern but can be difficult to express respect because your penchant for oddball abbreviation just plain ol rubs me the wrong way.

I don't trade lafreniere for unproven prospects because i think he continues to improve into a line driving 90 point star winger for many years hence. Just not an asset i am willing to part with even at equal value and currency, as you say. he is part of the solution.

I cannot seriously respond to why your matthews megadeal is bogus. it's just nonsense. i would know. even ignoring the lines you present after the hypothetical trade, the value given is far greater than the value gotten. to trade away perreault and 24/26 1sts hamstrings the continual infusion of young cost controlled talent. to trade zibanejad panarin shesterkin and lindgren on top... i'm a big believer in benny allaire but goaltending is everything and not everyone can be shesterkin, let alone dylan garand.

assuming zib would waive to go to tor, subtract panarin shesterkin and perreault from that deal. add depth piece. zib lindgren sykora and 2 1sts.

it's still fantasy. it's not a real discussion, because it would never happen.

Happy to entertain fantastic deals for matthews. Leafs need D, and they want toughness/leadership, and they would need a 1C back.

Zibanejad Schneider Kakko 1st
Matthews

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
Respect your opinion bern but can be difficult to express respect because your penchant for oddball abbreviation just plain ol rubs me the wrong way.

I don't trade lafreniere for unproven prospects because i think he continues to improve into a line driving 90 point star winger for many years hence. Just not an asset i am willing to part with even at equal value and currency, as you say. he is part of the solution.

I cannot seriously respond to why your matthews megadeal is bogus. it's just nonsense. i would know. even ignoring the lines you present after the hypothetical trade, the value given is far greater than the value gotten. to trade away perreault and 24/26 1sts hamstrings the continual infusion of young cost controlled talent. to trade zibanejad panarin shesterkin and lindgren on top... i'm a big believer in benny allaire but goaltending is everything and not everyone can be shesterkin, let alone dylan garand.

assuming zib would waive to go to tor, subtract panarin shesterkin and perreault from that deal. add depth piece. zib lindgren sykora and 2 1sts.

it's still fantasy. it's not a real discussion, because it would never happen.

Happy to entertain fantastic deals for matthews. Leafs need D, and they want toughness/leadership, and they would need a 1C back.

Zibanejad Schneider Kakko 1st
Matthews
Horrendous for us. Good thing it will never happen

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Play the whole game 4 v 5 when they’re on , and we cruise to the cup
That's only a 42% GF and their 5v5 GF for like the last billion and a half shifts is close to 60%.

They're the most over-hated line I've ever seen on the Rangers board.

Our 5v5 issues are mostly stemming, statistically, from the bottom six and the injuries therewithin. Both of our top six lines kicked everyone's nuts in the whole season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad