Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The only steady linemate 20-93 weren't an obnoxious plus with is poison ass Roslovic. He dropped them down to 53%.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
That's only a 42% GF and their 5v5 GF for like the last billion and a half shifts is close to 60%.

They're the most over-hated line I've ever seen on the Rangers board.

Our 5v5 issues are mostly stemming, statistically, from the bottom six and the injuries therewithin. Both of our top six lines kicked everyone's nuts in the whole season.

It didn’t help Pitlick and Bonino lasted as long as they did, the entire league wanted neither of them at league minimum salary.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
From jerseyjinx in reply to bern: "You want to trade Zibanejad, Panarin, Shesterkin, Perreault, Lindgren, and 2 1sts for Matthews?"

Bern, I actually do like reading your elaborate trade proposals but this is just nuts!

I like AM but this puts way too much pressure on the younger players while still keeping Trouba around who has the worst contract based on performance IMO. And you're trading away our best prospect on top of this.

I'm in agreement with you that in a hard cap situation you have to make use of younger (cheaper) players but trading away some of our top vets takes us out of our current window to win IMO. AM is a very good player but I don't even think I'd give up these assets for McDavid.

Panarin, Zib and Shesty are key pieces to our current squad with Lindgren a tier below but still important. Also, how does this trade work from a cap standpoint for Toronto? Maybe I missed something but I doubt they can take on all these guys without significant retention on our behalf.

If the current squad underperforms in the playoffs again, tough decisions will certainly need to be made but I believe those decisions start with Trouba, Goodrow and Lindgren. Shesty all depends on the $ amount.
some clarification:
I alluded to Trouba being moved, that should happen regardless for cap and it won't be part of this deal in any event

Ditto Good retained down to 2 per and with 6th gets a 4th

Lindgren WAS included in this deal

I would ask you to re-eval.
Yeah, we are giving up primo Fs in Panarin + Zib, + also G Shesty
but we are replacing w/Matthews while breaking in Othmann, possibly also Berard
and we are gambling Garand, reinforced by Quick + Domin can advance

It may appear to you to be total madness w/o rhyme/reason but there is a method to it, one that should not be dismissed out of hand as if it weren't there

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
some clarification:
I alluded to Trouba being moved, that should happen regardless for cap and it won't be part of this deal in any event

It may appear to you to be total madness w/o rhyme/reason but there is a method to it, one that should not be dismissed out of hand as if it weren't there
dude this deal has been unilaterally panned as impossible, awful, or both.

this is a relatively open minded and knowledgeable message board. doesn't that unanimous response mean something to you? Are you exempt from the re-evaluation you as from others?

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
some clarification:

You're giving up a Hart Trophy Candidate, a Vezina candidate, a 1C, a top 4 D, plus our top prospect and 2 future 1st round picks for a Hart Trophy candidate, and replacing the rest with a rookie goalie, who the team believes is so ready that they already re-signed their backup, 2 other rookies, 1 of which likely makes the team next year and possibly takes a top 6 as the roster stands already. The trade creates too many holes in the lineup and forces the team to rely too heavily on inexperienced players still developing. Your idea to incorporate youth is a good one, but you don't need to clear out $40M in cap space to make room for youth. For example, suggesting trying to move Zibanejad, or trading Shesterkin, in a vacuum may not be met with such a response, but when your suggestion is to combine all of the expensive players on the roster with any pedigree and trade them for 1 player, you have to acknowledge that the idea is too fantastical and will never, ever happen. It's more productive and fun to discuss actual possibilities or unique proposals that have legitimate merit.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
Let's all remember 1 more thing...

Bruins might force Leafs' early rnd 1 exit.... = shit hit the fan for real in TOR
while there is an argument AM is the LAST guy you move
he is also the first guy who returns SO much, you can be slightly ahead short term w/1-2 future pieces.

on OUTSIDE chance moving Matthews is entertained:

presume LaF + for Guhle + Reinbacher ++

Zib
bread
Gabe P
Shesty
Lindgren
2024 + 2026 1sts

that's 4 immediate contributors + 3 futures
is that the best offer?
unclear, given high competitive bidding, but it is a finalist

--------------------

Kreider - Matthews - Berard/Rempe
Edstrom/Othmann - Tro - Berard/Eds/
Cuyle - Chytil/Edstrom - KK
Goodrow - Brodz - Vesey

keep Rosz.
add Guh
Guh- Fox
KAM - Schneid
Scanlin - Barron [part of other deal for Robertson +]
Gust

somethin like dat
Obviously there's more here than my original critique referenced but still have no idea this works in terms of cap space (for Toronto) if you're sending these high $ vets in the deal.

Really just boils down to difference in perceived value of A Matthews. I personally wouldn't make this trade if McDavid was the target, let alone AM. It's not a knock on AM as I think he's a great player but he's still only one guy.

Finally, don't want to include Gabe P. I finally got to watch him a little bit and he looks awesome...just needs to put on a little more weight but if Stankoven can thrive with Dallas, Gabe should be fine.

"somethin like dat"

Reactions: Kendo and noncents

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Vegas has 20 players under contract for next season, including Theodore. They are about 900k under the cap, but they have Lenner on LTIR, so they'll be able to spend another 5 mil, roughly, to fill out the final spots.

They have no need to move Theodore, so I don't know where people are getting the idea that he'll be a Ranger.
If they want to spend cap at F, Theo's a good piece to move. That's enough to warrant speculation. He's a good target, even if he ends up staying put or going elsewhere.

I think Bern had some salient points
Your PO avatar is a fever dream.

• Haha
Reactions: Machinehead

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
That's only a 42% GF and their 5v5 GF for like the last billion and a half shifts is close to 60%.

They're the most over-hated line I've ever seen on the Rangers board.

Our 5v5 issues are mostly stemming, statistically, from the bottom six and the injuries therewithin. Both of our top six lines kicked everyone's nuts in the whole season.
Didn't Zib go like half a season without a 5v5 goal?

• Haha
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Why stop there Bern?
Once we get Matthews for trading 5 starters our best prospect and 2 1sts (which would be like 35-40mill of cap going out)
Why don’t we extend the window further????
Let’s turn around and trade Matthews and Fox for 9 1st Rd picks each…..
That’s outside the box thinking, the salary cap is real, I will be proven right in the long run etc etc etc

There are trades and targets that are realistic, and there are trades/targets that are fantasy….
1 is worth having a discussion about, and the other is medication time like in 1 flew over the cuckoos nest

The whole point of talking about Kakko possibly being moved is he’s stuck in a position in NY where he’s overqualified.

he won’t get top 6 min/special teams time here so in all likelihood he would only want to sign a 1-2year deal here and bounce to get that opportunity elsewhere in order to play more and a chance to be paid a lot more.

Even with the fantastical trade you have above, you still have Kakko on 3rd line and Rempe and Edstrom in the top 6 smh…..
I’m sure that would reinforce his interest to sign long term here……
There’s honestly no use going back and fourth anymore….
There’s going to be players that are foundational pieces due to economics/contract length/cap and a myriad of other reasons.
Other teams will have the same thing.
Moving laf ( NYR first 1OA pick in almost a century) just when he’s turning into the player almost all of us envisioned him to be when he was drafted is absolutely bonkers.
As good as a player Reinbacher may become, it would be a PR nightmare.
Montreal is also again, not trading a guy they took in the top 5 while they are rebuilding…. Teams do not do that…..
Once in a blue moon, there is a lindros/cutter gauthier situation that happens, but that is not the norm.

Again this is not debating “outside the box” thinking. It’s non-realistic fantastical situations that rarely if ever occur since this sport became the NHL

I guess you should be chided over me cause of time. I’d rather not waste it debating things that have less then a .00001% chance of happening as opposed to things that possibly and likely could.
This is by no means saying you can’t do what you do with your sensational ideas/proposals
It’s me. We’ve both been around here for years and I should know better than going down this rabbit hole.
That’s all my response was saying
I don’t see Bern’s posts. Saves brain cells

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Vegas has 20 players under contract for next season, including Theodore. They are about 900k under the cap, but they have Lenner on LTIR, so they'll be able to spend another 5 mil, roughly, to fill out the final spots.

They have no need to move Theodore, so I don't know where people are getting the idea that he'll be a Ranger.
This.
He’s only making 5.3 mill and is an asset to the Win now at all costs team….
If they are going to lose players via cap casualty like they did with Smith, I’d wager there are a few names on the chopping block before they consider moving theo

It didn’t help Pitlick and Bonino lasted as long as they did, the entire league wanted neither of them at league minimum salary.
Pitlick/bonino and add to it Goodrows worst statistical year ever plus the injury to chytil.
Bottom 6 had a lot of speed bumps this year
Add Kakko injury as well.

Fact they won 1st in the nhl is quite an accomplishment

Last edited:
Reactions: noncents

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Actually came into the office today. I do that less and less. Office is at Roc Center and I must say there is Rangers gear everywhere in midtown. Hats, shirts, jackets. Lots of head nods today and a few fist bumps. LGR!
Ever taken that magic elevator to the top floor "on Top of The Rock"? That was quite the experience. It took like 4 seconds to the top....I had a private lunch in the basement with The Boss too in his private little restaurant there. Crab cakes. Wonderful time. LGR

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I would make every trade Bern proposes.

If I was the GM of the other team.
Ditto for lines construction.

If I was the head coach of the other team.

I don’t see Bern’s posts. Saves brain cells
Finally cut that cord too a few months ago - but now have to read all the replies. What’s the point - it won’t do anything to prevent another crazy one the very next day.

Reactions: TominNC and SA16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad