Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Remember when Cuylle was scratched for the Panthers game and everyone thought it was weird? Did the Rangers make him a healthy scratch to save $82,500?

The Rangers will have $512,500 cap overage for next season. It would be be $25,000 more if the Rangers win the Cup. Quick has that bonus.

$300,000 for Wheeler
$75,000 for Quick

The other $137,500 came from Schneider and maybe Cuylle.

That's dirty by NYR. Hopefully they hand him the loot under the table.

Reactions: bhamill

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It seems likely. Should have done it earlier in the season if they wanted to be less obvious about it, but a bonus based on 82 games played shouldn't be considered a guarantee, regardless.

Maybe they told him they'd make it up to him in his next contract.
The Rangers also owe Schneider money during the Kane salary cap accrual process. The Rangers sent Schneider to the AHL on February 27-March 1 to create more cap space to add Kane. $10K-$15K. Something like that.

That's dirty by NYR. Hopefully they hand him the loot under the table.
Give him some Knicks tickets on the floor for the playoffs and that will cover the $82,500.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Completely random item, I miss msg sports desk with Bob Page. Guy was great at what he did and seemed to have no filter calling people and athletes out before it became trendy to do it.

Can I get some sports coverage back that isn't a circus?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Completely random item, I miss msg sports desk with Bob Page. Guy was great at what he did and seemed to have no filter calling people and athletes out before it became trendy to do it.

Can I get some sports coverage back that isn't a circus?
Bob Page. I found out the Sakic signing from him. I was watching MSG because the Yankees game was on. Page breaks into the commercial break and announces the Sakic offer sheet. Saving Sakic didn't have that specific Page clip on Sakic. Page was too outspoken. He didn't like the Muckler hiring and called him the latest Rangers head coach. We didn't see much of him anymore.

The MSG Sports Desk had some really good people. Deb Kaufman Placey. What happened to Deb? ESPN. MSG. I remember her filling in sometimes for Al Trautwig on Yankees games. She was so much better than Al. Her last MSG gig was covering the Devils. Her husband was some big shot at ESPN. Tracey Wolfson before she went to CBS. She got her start at MSG. Jenna Wolfe before she joined ABC and then NBC. She also disappeared. I saw her a few times in Manhattan. She is very petite.

Page did some shows on WFAN. He got in trouble when he mentioned the black players liked to dance after making a big play. He talked too much.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Here’s one to file away for the summer. Jacob Trouba and Bowen Bynam as key parts of a trade with the Sabres.
Filed away under not a chance maybe, this isn’t a video game. Troubas 15 team list will almost definitely include Buffalo plus why does Buffalo do this with Sammualsson, Power, Dahlin, Joker and Clifton. They’ll have approaching 35 mil invested in their D. Nice thought though.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i was thinking Trouba -> LAK. maybe they could sign and trade matt roy for 3RD.

i'm happy to pencil in Schneider as 2RD

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Here’s one to file away for the summer. Jacob Trouba and Bowen Bynam as key parts of a trade with the Sabres.
I have a hard time seeing Buffalo move on from Byram so soon, especially consider the connections he has with some of his Sabres teammates. But crazier things have happened, right?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I have a hard time seeing Buffalo move on from Byram so soon, especially consider the connections he has with some of his Sabres teammates. But crazier things have happened, right?

They have but this won’t be happening.

People need to remember that Trouba still has a modified no trade list this summer. Buffalo would certainly be on that list.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Filed away under not a chance maybe, this isn’t a video game. Troubas 15 team list will almost definitely include Buffalo plus why does Buffalo do this with Sammualsson, Power, Dahlin, Joker and Clifton. They’ll have approaching 35 mil invested in their D. Nice thought though.

Bob isn’t a “video game” trader speculator. Come on.

People need to remember that Trouba still has a modified no trade list this summer. Buffalo would certainly be on that list.

People also need to remember that the above is entirely speculative and has no basis in fact. You simply don’t know.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Byram has been brutal and has concussion concerns in the past, he’s not someone I’d be thrilled about trading for honestly. But I doubt that trade happens.
It opens up a big chunk of cap space, is a ld who’s probably better than Lindgren. I see the logic.

Reactions: mas0764

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It opens up a big chunk of cap space, is a ld who’s probably better than Lindgren. I see the logic.
I’d try to trade Kakko for Guhle at the draft.
Montreal needs fwds/center and has a stockpile of young talented D.
Kakko had a injury riddled/bad year, has untapped potential and likely won’t sign anything beyond a year or 2 if there is no assurance he’ll get top 6 min and special teams time.

Guhle had a typical sophomore slump for a big D.
He wasn’t as good as he showed in his 1st season, similar to Schneider in that way. Still a young kid who played more min of competitive nhl hockey the. Ever before and you can see it. Imo he has the size/talent to have legitimate 1st pair potential.

I love Kakko, but if he wants a bigger role and isn’t in the long range plans via signing a short term deal I pull the trigger at the draft.

A top 4 of
Guhle-Fox
Miller-Schneider

Is nasty and will be for years. Resign Lindgren 4-5 years no clauses. When Guhle makes the jump maybe halfway thru next year, they could drop Lindgren to 3rd pair with jones, or trade him 2-3 years into that contract.

Gorton drafted Kakko. Gotta think he’s got a soft spot for him.
He’d do well on a wing opposite slaf or caufield

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Bob isn’t a “video game” trader speculator. Come on.

People also need to remember that the above is entirely speculative and has no basis in fact. You simply don’t know.
Trouba 99% has all of Canada in his MNTC.
Seeing how Buffalo is basically almost Canada from a geographic standpoint it’s prob not a stretch to think they are on his list

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
I’d try to trade Kakko for Guhle at the draft.
Montreal needs fwds/center and has a stockpile of young talented D.
Kakko had a injury riddled/bad year, has untapped potential and likely won’t sign anything beyond a year or 2 if there is no assurance he’ll get top 6 min and special teams time.

Guhle had a typical sophomore slump for a big D.
He wasn’t as good as he showed in his 1st season, similar to Schneider in that way. Still a young kid who played more min of competitive nhl hockey the. Ever before and you can see it. Imo he has the size/talent to have legitimate 1st pair potential.

I love Kakko, but if he wants a bigger role and isn’t in the long range plans via signing a short term deal I pull the trigger at the draft.

A top 4 of
Guhle-Fox
Miller-Schneider

Is nasty and will be for years. Resign Lindgren 4-5 years no clauses. When Guhle makes the jump maybe halfway thru next year, they could drop Lindgren to 3rd pair with jones, or trade him 2-3 years into that contract.

Gorton drafted Kakko. Gotta think he’s got a soft spot for him.
He’d do well on a wing opposite slaf or caufield
Montreal fans wants Kakko, 3 1st, Igor and your first born. That might not even be enough.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Well smartass, Buffalo is light on the right side…real light…and is looking for veteran leadership. Byram may be a fit problem in Buffalo. (Another LHD) he is also going to need a pricey contract extension. If the offseason plan includes moving Trouba (maybe) then you need to get creative.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Montreal fans wants Kakko, 3 1st, Igor and your first born. That might not even be enough.
Hah that’s why I’d never put it on the main boards.
Theres a difference between a hockey trade of 2 guys in their 20”s who have yet to reach potential because of injury/lack of opportunity/whatever…
In the real world GMs make hockey trades.
The HF GMs in the fan base always think their guy is a diamond and everyone else’s has warts.
It would turn into a bashing Guhle/Kakko thread…….

Truth is Guhle had a solid rookie year followed up by a not so good 1.

Kakko had a 40pt even strength season and plays a man’s 2-way game.
Followed up by a terrible 1st 15-20 games then an injury….

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Well smartass, Buffalo is light on the right side…real light…and is looking for veteran leadership. Byram may be a fit problem in Buffalo. (Another LHD) he is also going to need a pricey contract extension. If the offseason plan includes moving Trouba (maybe) then you need to get creative.

I could see the appeal of something like this. And I could DEFINITELY see the appeal of Trouba on a team like Buffalo.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Buffalo is not far from Michigan, where Trouba grew up...
It’s closer to Toronto…….
Buffalo has the advantage of at least being in the US…..
If NYR deals Trouba there will be a few teams looking for his services…..
Fla paid a 1st for UFA to be ben Chrariot for god sakes…..
Then Yzerman, who many think is the greatest thing since sliced bread, offers him a truck load of cash/years in FA…….

Trouba at 30 to 32 only being owed 6.5 real $$ will have more then a few suitors even with the 8 mill cap hit

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It’s also New York State where his wife has a medical license. Trouba also played for Ruff.
Trouba and his wife live in FLA half the year if I’m not mistaken.

Getting a med license in a diff state or not for a year and half/ 2 years tops doesn’t seem like it would be an issue

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad